Gold Cup 2019

1 hour ago, narduch said:

I know everyone's on a high but Canada's quarter final match will be this Saturday at 7pm (6pm local) in Houston.

Hopefully the heat and humidity aren't an issue.

So is that 7pm EST, 6pm in Houston (CST).

Just a reminder that not everyone is lucky enough to live in Ontario...

:)

16 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

So is that 7pm EST, 6pm in Houston (CST).

Just a reminder that not everyone is lucky enough to live in Ontario...

:)

EDT, CDT.

The Eastern Time Zone is currently in Daylight Savings, and extends into Quebec. ;) 

11 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Okay.. so why is Kevin Parsemain in Martinique?  This guy would be a stud in CPL.

MLS teams have attempted to sign him twice, the first time Seattle signed him in 2014 and then he suffered a season-ending injury in preseason and wasn't resigned.

The second time he was signed by Sporting Kansas City toward the end of the 2017 season, but the transfer didn't go through because of a technicality. Since Martinique isn't a FIFA member signing a player from there requires an ITC from the French federation, but since the Martinique league isn't professional and FFF rules forbid amateur players from signing abroad outside of a transfer window the request was denied by the FFF.

I don't know why he hasn't had any offers abroad since, but he no doubt makes some money playing in Martinique, so signing him wouldn't be completely trivial.

2 hours ago, narduch said:

I know everyone's on a high but Canada's quarter final match will be this Saturday at 7pm (6pm local) in Houston.

It's going to be brutal.  Even if a cold front moves through Houston breaking a 125 year record low it's still going to be brutal 

Might even make Cav sweat a little.  It's going to be that bad.

On 6/23/2019 at 1:00 PM, red card said:

Some people on this board questioned Herdman's sizzle. Maybe they were clueless because they haven't followed closely what he has done with the women's team and how he has a high standing in Canadian corporate circles as a motivational guru.

Herdman has the qualities of a visionary corporate CEO who finally instills a firm wide culture in what was previously a rudderless operation with high turnover, low commitment and inability to attract/spot high quality talent. And if he stays long enough, it is designed to stay after he leaves.

Forgive me if I'm mistaken, but weren't you a big voice in questioning Herdman when he was given the job? I didn't ever watch the video, but I remember this quote and another from you at the time.

On 1/8/2018 at 8:46 PM, CanadianSoccerFan said:

Totera is live right now and says "If Herdman gets the job then I'm done supporting Canada"

http://www.nextsportstar.com/index.php/live-tv-red-cart/

I thought there was another line from you about it being the darkest day in Canadian soccer or something, but I'm not finding it at the moment and there is a lot to go through in the relevant threads.

The reason why it sticks out is because I was surprised it came from you, since I know you are a big supporter of the women's game (more so than me). To be fair, this was when the news was super fresh. Maybe once you had some time to digest what had happened you cooled down a bit.

22 minutes ago, Kent said:

Lots of records have been mentioned in the media, but I haven't seen this one. Most total goals in a Gold Cup tournament for Canada. The previous best was 9 goals in 2007 (10 if you ignore BS offside calls). Canada is at 12 goals this year.

And that was over 5 games as well. The most we had ever scored in our first three matches of a Gold Cup was 6 in 1991.

31 minutes ago, Kent said:

Lots of records have been mentioned in the media, but I haven't seen this one. Most total goals in a Gold Cup tournament for Canada. The previous best was 9 goals in 2007 (10 if you ignore BS offside calls). Canada is at 12 goals this year.

Somebody mentioned it on this forum, but yeah, I haven't seen that reported in the media yet. We actually scored more goals yesterday than we did in the previous 3 Gold Cups combined. Part of this is because the 6 goals we scored in the 2013, 2015 and 2017 Gold Cups were all scored in 2017, as our 6 centre-backs-per-game didn't score under Floroball in 2015 and De Jong hitting the cross-bar against Mexico was as close as we got to a goal with a B team without a coach in 2013. And we only scored 2 in 2011 so if Cavallini had scored the PK we would have equaled our totals for the previous 4 Gold Cups in one game....

I just want say and I dont care what anyone says

I love Vic Reuters

His call is the best and his new signature "Have a goooooo" puts a smile on my face every time. Too bad it didnt go in but that one sequence yesterday when the ball was knocking around when he called " sit down, sit down, sit doooowwwn" would have been phenomenal. A little bit of cheese and excitement mixed in is always a good thing

58 minutes ago, VinceA said:

One cool thing that we are about to have is multiple active players on our pool will have double digits in goals. Cavs and JD with 9 atm, and Larin is at 8. Hoilett is at 6. Before that all we had was Ricketts at 16.

Yeah, I'm hoping someone is ready to update this wiki page.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canada_men's_national_soccer_team_records_and_statistics

Tomas Radzinski and Paul Peschesolido were great players for us. They each got 10 goals, Radz in 46 games, Pesch in 53 games. David is at 9 goals in 7 games. I know, minnows and all that, but it's still crazy.

Edited by Kent

13 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Danilo Acosta refused to switch to Honduras.  Not sure how/why they could have him in their squad if he didn't switch to begin with.

He was undergoing the process of a switch, filled out the necessary paperwork, but then decided not to complete the final document. So presumably Honduras was able to include him on the grounds that the process for a switch had been triggered? I would have assumed such a switch must be officially completed, but perhaps there is some grey area...

36 minutes ago, Kent said:

Yeah, I'm hoping someone is ready to update this wiki page.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canada_men's_national_soccer_team_records_and_statistics

Tomas Radzinski and Paul Peschesolido were great players for us. They each got 10 goals, Radz in 46 games, Pesch in 53 games. David is at 9 goals in 7 games. I know, minnows and all that, but it's still crazy.

David and Cavallini will both break the scoring record, and even Junior Hoilett is on 6 goals now. I think he will also surpass Radz/Pesch.

Edited by Obinna

4 hours ago, Kent said:

I thought there was another line from you about it being the darkest day in Canadian soccer or something, but I'm not finding it at the moment and there is a lot to go through in the relevant threads.

The reason why it sticks out is because I was surprised it came from you, since I know you are a big supporter of the women's game (more so than me). To be fair, this was when the news was super fresh. Maybe once you had some time to digest what had happened you cooled down a bit.

Huh? I'm not Totera. I quoted Totera

2 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

I just want say and I dont care what anyone says

I love Vic Reuters

His call is the best and his new signature "Have a goooooo" puts a smile on my face every time. Too bad it didnt go in but that one sequence yesterday when the ball was knocking around when he called " sit down, sit down, sit doooowwwn" would have been phenomenal. A little bit of cheese and excitement mixed in is always a good thing

I am guessing that will be the last game he will call in the Gold Cup as with the women being eliminated from the World Cup my guess is that Wileman will be back in time for the QF match.

18 minutes ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

Huh? I'm not Totera. I quoted Totera

I know. Red Card is Totera. I was using you for his quote.

At least I always thought so. I don’t remember now if that was ever actually confirmed in some way but I had in mind he was.

Edited by Kent

4 minutes ago, Kent said:

I know. Red Card is Totera. I was using you for his quote.

At least I always thought so. I don’t remember now if that was ever actually confirmed in some way but I had in mind he was.

Posting style doesn't match Totera's style of dialogue, so not sure that I would assume that.

11 hours ago, narduch said:

I know everyone's on a high but Canada's quarter final match will be this Saturday at 6pm in Houston.

Most soccer games at NRG have had the roof closed with the AC pumping. Given the heat in houston i dont see why this game would be any different?