Gold Cup 2019

1 minute ago, Ansem said:

I don't bash them. I see them for what they are. A good CONCACAF team no more, no less.

But I don't buy into the mystic of the past golden age of US soccer. It's a valid opinion as even their analysts agrees with that statement

I'm just messing around at this point.  You can certainly be critical of the US.  We're both excited about this team's chances in Gold Cup and against US in fall.  I'm just not convinced the US is going to be down and out for long.

Looking down on other teams has never won us anything but it has definitely cost us.  Why repeat the same old mistakes?  I’m excited about this team but I’ve been excited for the past 6 Gold Cups as well... we’ve always had a decent squad by concacaf standards and players to be excited about.  This time there are a few more but we need to be careful about expectations.

16 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

By past Golden Age do you mean like them winning the gold cup 2 years ago? 

2 years is still a lot, and when they resume the WCQ, they were bad. The only away game they won in the last 2 rounds was at St.Vincent, were mediocre at home and their A team got beat by Trinidad C team.

I get history but you can't keep ignoring facts and results

16 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Its not reality - we have no clue how they are going to play this tournament but in past ones they’ve always been a top team and certainly better than us.

Key word past.

This is to get you up to date, and no, they have not really improved that much since their elimination. Same comments came back from analysts after the Venezuela game. Same patterns and criticisms...

Lost against Costa Rica at home

After Trinidad 

Edited by Ansem

16 minutes ago, gigi riva said:

My expectations for this years Gold Cup is too improve from last tounaments results Our team has improved but it very young not surprised if it is the youngest team in the tournament

If my typing and wikipedia are correct, we're the fourth youngest (Went with age at the start of the tournament) at 25 years old. Haiti, Bermuda and Cuba are younger. If we want to look at median age, we are 5th:  Haiti, USA, Bermuda, and Cuba are younger.

3 hours ago, narduch said:

I was excited for the tournament until I saw that the knock-out stage bracket is rigged for a USA v. Mexico final.

Maybe if Canada was on the US side of the bracket I would be more hopeful.

It will still be a sell-out if USA makes the final... We want to cheer for the Americans to make the final. 

Canada vs US 

#concacafcon$piracy

Would also be awesome to win the Cup in their backyard against them.

Edited by apbsmith

1 hour ago, narduch said:

I was excited for the tournament until I saw that the knock-out stage bracket is rigged for a USA v. Mexico final.

Maybe if Canada was on the US side of the bracket I would be more hopeful.

As it always is.. who cares?  Like literally what difference does it make whether you play US and then Mexico or Mexico and then the US?  Same difference.

39 minutes ago, ted said:

LOL You must be new here. It has always been thus.

When we won the Gold Cup (2000) we beat Mexico and we can do it again.

I'm not as new as I wish I was.

Didn't we also win a draw of lots in 2000? Or was that 2002?

I probably wouldn't mind as much if we were on the US side of the bracket.

It will be nice to see how we stack up against Mexico though.

13 hours ago, Yoginess said:

Wow. Davies and David on fire out there (based on the 4 clips of them..)

Great to see Davies was creating things in an offensive role at least in the first half.

Yup and that's why we need Davies playing at LW/RW

1 hour ago, Aird25 said:

David has been lights out for Canada. 4 goals and 4 assists now in 5 appearances. Most of those with limited minutes. You have to think that a big tournament will see him sold to a bigger club next season. 

You should hope so for an international only only, what 16?, goals off the most of all time for his country.