Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Pretty awesome quote from Doneil Henry at a press conference:  

And Hondruas are officially eliminated from the tournament.  

start your engines boyz…..damn that's a good looking team....    

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Gian-Luca said:

Adam Straith is attending camp as a 24th player according to this article:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/bayerns-alphonso-davies-headlines-canadas-gold-cup-squad/

I found this article filed under "Bundesliga" on the Sportsnet website, incidentally.

I’m guessing this is just in case Henry is injured because otherwise it seems like a weird call.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Okay but Shome isn’t accepting a call to Bangladesh any time soon.  We shouldn’t be looking to cynically cap tie a player like that.  If his career is that poor that he’s going to consider that why would we ruin his international career? 

Okello on the other hand Cameroon could easily try to cap tie.  And he would likely be curious at the least.  6”4 technical central mids are not common anywhere in the world.

Do you have some inside info? How do you know Shome wouldn't be tempted at a call with Bangladesh?

I'm not saying we should be worried, or rush to cap tie him or Okello. On the contrary, I don't want us to cap tie either for the sake of it. However, if they were going to do it, I would argue it's more imperative to cap-tie Shome first.

Again though, I will stress this is not my wish. Had Tabla been called I wouldn't mind so much, but I think it's stupid to leave Tabla off in order to cap tie Okello, or anyone (if that's what's going on here).

Link to post
Share on other sites

Okello is a sleeper. We have seen what he is capable of, when focused and motivated, with the younger groups. If we get the best Okello he could make an impact as a sub and surprise people.

Above all else he will be a relative unknown to most teams and will benefit from the experience. 

Elsewhere in the squad I'm disappointed for Cordova most he has got games and is playing well, not to mention he is adaptable position wise. 

Tesho deserves better for his efforts but he isnt better than what we have and is still a curious one in not fulfilling the obvious traditional #9, #10 or winger traits that separate him from anyone else. 

Too bad on the fitness for James and adekugbe. Feel for Tabla. He needs game time. The squad depth is just too close to call now. We should be happy at that at least. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, canta15 said:

Would have liked to see a fourth Cb maybe over Okello. Maybe he’s the next Kaye though

I would love to be wrong, but I don't think Okello will turn out to be the player Kaye is when it's all said and done. I haven't watched Okello recently, so take it with a grain of salt, but the handful of times I watched him he looked physically imposing, but awkward. I don't think he has the attacking instincts that Kaye does, though I think and hope Okello can become a real weapon for us as he develops, and I can see him developing more into a central defender before a Kaye type of box-to-box. Again though, haven't seen much of the kid, especially lately.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Obinna said:

I know Tabla would probably not be a starter, but the creative depth takes a big hit without him in the squad.

We are blessed with many good attackers, but am I the only one that feels we are suddenly much more shallow now?

David, Hoilett and David all probably start. Miller is a solid player off the bench. Who's up after that? I don't like the Tabla exclusion. It is very disappointing. Judging from the comments on Mlssoccer.com, I am not alone in that.

There better be a good reason for him to be left off...especially considering Okello got the call. He's played less first teams minutes than Tabla, because he's played a grand total of zero. And remember, Okello is only 1 year younger than Tabla. If I had to choose which youngsters to invest in, it would be Ballou, but I'll give Herdman and co. the benefit of the doubt and assume this exclusion was amicable and well thought out.

I also am very surprised with his omission. Herdman has been playing him in every game so far with the exception being FG. Perhaps there is a loan or transfer on the table or he is going on the preseason tour with Barça?. ..weird

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yipes, if guys are thinking Morgan shouldnt be at LB, how at we thinking Okello at CB is a good idea?  And there will be rotation, we'll play back up CBs.  Okello was very good with the u-20's, but has yet to see a minute in MLS and has been playing way down at USL-1.  And not playing CB in the 2 games I have seen so far this year.  Maybe a cameo in mid...but not cb.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Obinna said:

I would love to be wrong, but I don't think Okello will turn out to be the player Kaye is when it's all said and done. I haven't watched Okello recently, so take it with a grain of salt, but the handful of times I watched him he looked physically imposing, but awkward. I don't think he has the attacking instincts that Kaye does, though I think and hope Okello can become a real weapon for us as he develops, and I can see him developing more into a central defender before a Kaye type of box-to-box. Again though, haven't seen much of the kid, especially lately.

Okello scored 3 goals in 5 games at the U-20 qualifiers last year. He was the only Canadian player to score more than 1 goal at the tournament.

From what I've seen his biggest weakness is his passing game. He'll need to improve significantly if he's going to be a central mid.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The biggest shock for me is the exclusion of James, given our lack of quality CBs. He has been getting minutes for one of the top teams in Denmark and was probably our best defender in the 2017 GC.  The inclusion of WJ is also surprising given our quality depth at CM. The few times he played RB for Orlando he was very poor and don't think he has played there this year. Given Henry's hamstring injury taking 3 CBs, including Miller is a high risk roll of the dice. The other is Okello vs Tabla. Still a very solid and impressive squad but probably not the stongest we could have assembled...if everyone was fit and available

Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Bully said:

No idea how the line up will look.  

--------------------Cavallini------------------
Davies----------Osorio----------Hoilett
------------Piette----------Arfield----------
Kaye---Henry----Hutchinson--Johnson

No chance Johnson get’s in ahead of ZBG or Godinho, same with Osorio getting in over David.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Mikmacdo said:

Godinho over Cordova doesn’t make sense to me. Even if they are even in talent Cordova has been playing more lately. 

 

But that is not the only factor which a call-up is contingent upon.

In this case, I would like to think his previous experience in camp under Herdman was a key factor. I am disappointed he wasn't there though. I expected he wouldn't be, so I was already prepared for the let down, but I am disappointed  nonetheless.

On the bright side, I believe in Godinho and I don't think his difficulty getting into the Hearts team is anything to worry about. I am hoping he has a good Gold Cup, gets into a game or two, gets minutes against T&T, and goes back to Scotland with a point to prove.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

It is somewhat strange that of the three Canucks at Orlando, the only one not picked is the one who is probably having the best season to date of the three.

Certainly speaks to how this team is balanced, doesn't it? On paper, we are top 3 in attack and midfield, no doubt about it. On defence, we are well outside the top 6 teams. 

To put a positive spin on it though, getting Miller this experience is a good thing. This maybe gives him confidence to go back to Orlando and push for more minutes. That is an indirect benefit, but he'll also benefit directly from the caps, should he get any. Then, nations league comes in fall and you have James pushing into the team once more, but now you have a more experienced Miller in the pool to compete with him.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Obinna said:

Certainly speaks to how this team is balanced, doesn't it? On paper, we are top 3 in attack and midfield, no doubt about it. On defence, we are well outside the top 6 teams. 

To put a positive spin on it though, getting Miller this experience is a good thing. This maybe gives him confidence to go back to Orlando and push for more minutes. That is an indirect benefit, but he'll also benefit directly from the caps, should he get any. Then, nations league comes in fall and you have James pushing into the team once more, but now you have a more experienced Miller in the pool to compete with him.

Also consider we have a top 4 keeper in this tournament, arguably.  1 goal conceded since Herdman took control.. yet to be tested but it is what it is.  I agree this is a weak roster defensively but it still has its stars with Borjan and Henry.  Sometimes that’s all you need just ask Forrest and De Vos! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bully said:

No idea how the line up will look.  

--------------------Cavallini------------------
Davies----------Osorio----------Hoilett
------------Piette----------Arfield----------
Kaye---Henry----Hutchinson--Johnson

I think David is going to have to be shoehorned in there somewhere.

I think Osorio is the odd man out there and I also think Hutchinson will remain in midfield, pushing Piette out (unless Dunfield knew more than he was letting on).

No way Johnson starts at RB unless something terrible happens to ZBG and Godinho. Can he shift out there mid game? Certainly, but I would be shocked to see him from the start at RB

Speaking of Johnson, happy to have him back! I didn't notice his name in the final 23, but I am happy for him. If anything, he is a dependable player who is consistent. You always know what you're going to get from Will.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Also consider we have a top 4 keeper in this tournament, arguably.  1 goal conceded since Herdman took control.. yet to be tested but it is what it is.  I agree this is a weak roster defensively but it still has its stars with Borjan and Henry.  Sometimes that’s all you need just ask Forrest and De Vos! 

Yup, I would put Borjan solidly in the top 4 and likely pushing for top 3. Navas and Ochoa are clearly 1 and 2, while the Americans probably fancy Steffan as no. 3, though I would go take Borjan if I had to choose.

By the way, he won the Serbian League with Red Star this year and was voted into the team of the year. Had 45 games in all competitions and 22 clean sheets. He's coming into camp in perhaps his best form ever!

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Norrin Radd said:

Okello scored 3 goals in 5 games at the U-20 qualifiers last year. He was the only Canadian player to score more than 1 goal at the tournament.

From what I've seen his biggest weakness is his passing game. He'll need to improve significantly if he's going to be a central mid.

Thanks for sharing that. I see the same thing, he's a weak passer, but perhaps I was not giving his offensive ability enough credit. Unfortunately, any game I have watched him in (probably can count on 1 hand) he has never scored or assisted, so how does he score his goals typically? 

At this stage, I don't see the same flair (maybe not the right word) that Kaye has, which is what I meant by attacking instincts. If he can put the ball in the net though, I couldn't care less. All goals count the same, no matter how you score em. :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...