What is our CB depth

baulderdash77

For the 2022 cycle we have a fairly clear top 5 CB depth (from an age perspective) in Henry, Straith, James, Vitoria and Edgar (if he can stay healthy)

Henry (25) starts for Vancouver Whitecaps and has become a consistent starter for Canada

James (25) starts every week for Fredericia in the Danish 1st league

Straith (28) has become the captain for Lotte in B3 Germany

Vitoria (31) has been in and out of the lineup fad pretty much the 3rd CB for Lechia in Poland’s top division.

Edgar (31) has battled back from a horrific injury and seems to finally be reasonably healthy and starting for Ottawa in USL.

That’s a similar top 5 as the previous cycle and it while it wasn’t the weak spot of our system, it wasn’t the strength of our system like is has been in previous cycles.

Whats troubling is that we are hoping for a converted  national and that there isn’t any 18-22 year old CB’s emerging.  Where is the rest of the CB depth coming from?  Is there an emerging star in the 18-22 range I don’t know about or is this it?

Edited by baulderdash77

The only two "good" prospects I can think of are Julian Dunn with TFC and Thomas Meilleur-Giguere. TMG was alright with Ottawa and it remains to be seen whether he can get a role with Montreal who really likes their journeymen CBs. Dunn should play the final two games for TFC now that they are out of the playoffs and I think does have a good future.

You also have Rocco Romeo who is well thought of in TFC media circles. Otherwise It's gonna be a Tomori who comes into to help or we wait to see who emerges from the first season of the CPL.

I'm still waiting for Amer Didic to get playing time lmao. Also we can't discount Jakovic for at least until the GC simply because he's playing regularly for a good LAFC.

Edited by Vince193

I can’t belive I forgot Cornelius.  Yes he’s for sure in the mix after his performances at Toulon and the Milk Cuo and his first cap last month.

20 years old and playing in the Serbian 2nd Division (after playing in 1st last year).  That’s not a bad level for his age right now.

I wonder if Skylar Thomas can figure in.  He’s become a pretty successful USL player over the past couple years and maybe a key CanPL player next year.  

He’s been in the USL team of the week this year a couple times and played 2,200 minutes so far for a playoff bound Charleston teams.

At 6’4” with good athleticism he’s always had an interesting physical profile and it seems he’s rounding his form into shape as he hits his prime.

These are grim options. 

I wonder if Marcel de Jong can transition to CB? 

We have a lot of LB options, relatively speaking, and I suspect he can play as a left-footed CB in a back 3.

Hard to see him in a back two though, but you never know I guess.

Vitoria and Edgar won’t make it the whole way of the cycle

Manjrekar James is a safe bet

Sadly speaking Henry is there simply because we have nobody else. Too risky, can’t be trusted always getting red cards, giving up penalties, own goals etc

Straith (28) would be a good depth guy, with well over 40+ Caps I’d keep him around just in case 

For Future Prospects:

- Amer Didic

- Thomas Meiller-Giguere 

Realizing that much more of how needed are Tomori and Ferreira!

in terms of Tracking and scouting

The CPL will really help a lot in seeing them play at home and in person 

If a national team coach has never said he called up a player because of highlights, on paper he looked solid (statistics) or made a few calls then he’s lying 

Edited by Thomas

3 hours ago, Norrin Radd said:

I've been impressed with Sadiki every time I've seen him play. Unfortunately he doesn't seems to be able to stay at any club for long.

Feel the same about Sadiki - the times I have seen him playing for Canada youth teams, he has surprised me with his speed for a big man. But he hasn't been able to land with a team. Odd.

I think we'll keep calling and starting Henry for easy matches. However, for WCQ, Nations League games and Gold Cup...who as a manager would have the stomach to deal with Henry on the pitch with the likes of Honduras, Jamaica, Costa Rica or the US?

Just like R.A Dickey used to give Gibbons heart attacks in playoffs, I doubt Herdman will risk something like this throwing off a qualifying campaign or tournament. 

I'd rather go young with Cornelius and old with Jakovic or out of position with Hutchinson than risking 2022 with a known recidivist 

Edited by Ansem

Kamal Miller(syracuse) and Callum Montgomery (charlotte) are 2 seniors in US college to keep an eye on.  Remember Mallan Roberts?? he is still starting in USL, along with Boskovic, Attakora, Didic, Thomas  and TMG.  Maybe one of those guys (the younger ones) can mature into a national team player (MA Kaye etc), but its hard to see anyone that matches the quality of the young attackers we have coming up.   

I see lots about Henry and even Levis the other week (who to be fair is a winger not a LB) I don't see this kind of scrutiny on DeJong who was much worse in giving away a penalty the other week and from my point of view has look far shakier, clumsier and out paced in previous years at LB. Whitecaps however strange seems to have been good for him. Fingers crossed it helps doneil too.  

It's human nature to always look at the  negatives and be hypercritical. Some players get marked for it regardless of what they do. People should bear in mind this is the most consistent playing time Henry had in years and if he is the best we have he is the best we have, it's better to get behind him than tear him down. Like the rest I would have hoped he had cut out a few of these errors but he has just as much upside that's ignored. Getting consistently fit, settled and getting games is most important. Hopefully a solid coaching appointment at Vancouver could further his development too. 

I'm still going to cling on to the cliche, "Sol campbell and Rio Ferdinand we're dropping these clangers at his age" argument. Cutting it fine age wise though now. 

2 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Hopefully a solid coaching appointment at Vancouver could further his development too. 

At 25 years old Henry is no longer a prospect and he is likely as good as he is going to be. He is very much still the same defender for Vancouver that he was for TFC, brilliant at time, but just as bad at times... If he hasn't improved on his decision making by now then Its questionable if he ever will.

6 minutes ago, LeoH037 said:

At 25 years old Henry is no longer a prospect and he is likely as good as he is going to be. He is very much still the same defender for Vancouver that he was for TFC, brilliant at time, but just as bad at times... If he hasn't improved on his decision making by now then Its questionable if he ever will.

I dont buy that one bit.  KEEP YOUR ARMS DOWN!!  He has given up 2 penalties doing that this year, I dont remember seeing him do that previously.  Overall his defending is better than it was at TFC years ago, take away those 2 complete bonehead arm flailing penalties and we wouldnt be talking about this, it used to be his red cards we whined about.  If I am expected to learn new software at work every few years, why is it impossible for a coach to work on Henry waving his hands over his head??

1 hour ago, LeoH037 said:

More than likely you're right. Most defenders don't reach their peak up and come into their own until their late 20s though. He is a 25 year old that's played a 23 year olds career due to injuries. No reason he couldn't have spent the time on the shelf studying the game better though.

Skill, tactical awareness and technique is one thing that can be taught, physical attributes is another one that sometimes you have it or don't but the whole mentality and psychological part of the game eventually boils down to the player. There is only so much coaching you can do. Henry has the tools he needs he just needs more playing time. There the only way those errors will come out of his game. If they do. 

4 hours ago, Blackjack15 said:

Vitoria and Edgar won’t make it the whole way of the cycle

Manjrekar James is a safe bet

Sadly speaking Henry is there simply because we have nobody else. Too risky, can’t be trusted always getting red cards, giving up penalties, own goals etc

Straith (28) would be a good depth guy, with well over 40+ Caps I’d keep him around just in case 

For Future Prospects:

- Amer Didic

- Thomas Meiller-Giguere 

Realizing that much more of how needed are Tomori and Ferreira!

in terms of Tracking and scouting

The CPL will really help a lot in seeing them play at home and in person 

If a national team coach has never said he called up a player because of highlights, on paper he looked solid (statistics) or made a few calls then he’s lying 

Didic, in my mind, is not a "prospect". He will turn 24 this year and has yet to make a single MLS appearance for SKC. I know, Kansas City are settled in centre defence, so minutes are hard to come by, but it is what it is.

I wish him the best, as I do with all of our players, but I do not see an MLS career for him at this point, much less a national team career.

Perhaps he can sneak in thru the back door so to speak, by moving to the CanPL and getting some games under his belt. 

4 hours ago, Obinna said:

Didic, in my mind, is not a "prospect". He will turn 24 this year and has yet to make a single MLS appearance for SKC. I know, Kansas City are settled in centre defence, so minutes are hard to come by, but it is what it is.

I wish him the best, as I do with all of our players, but I do not see an MLS career for him at this point, much less a national team career.

Perhaps he can sneak in thru the back door so to speak, by moving to the CanPL and getting some games under his belt. 

I dunno I feel like Didic still has potential at his age he's achieved a lot seeing as he's been to two USL playoff finals  and has played in the the USOC and the CCL ( both against MLS opposition too) and not to mention is The SPR captain.

At 24, having all that under your belt must mean the coaches see something in you. Even OZ liked Didic, choosing him for u23 camps and bringing him to the Senior team setup. While I also doubt his future lies in MLS I thin he still has a future with the CMNT.

Thats the knock against college eh? You get out and you are 22 or so and within 2 years people are writing you off already.  The fact that Didic hasnt cracked the SKC lineup isnt good but him being a CB and only a few years into a pro career its not bad. They thought enough of him to keep him around.  What more could he do coming out of college undrafted, unsigned etc, he latched onto a MLS team and has been starting on their USL squad for 3 years (20+starts every year and getting into the game day 18 for SKC).   Dropping to the CPL to get games is silly, he is playing plenty already and is an injury or 2 away from MLS games.  But I agree he is losing his prospect tag and needs to make something happen ASAP.  Same could be said for Thomas and Roberts.

Edited by Bison44

13 hours ago, ghostknownunknown said:

Emile Legault (18) and Kosovar Sadiki (20) are two to keep an eye on. 

I’ve said this a few times on the forum, but I truly think Legault seems much more fit as a LB. We played him out side during the Toulon.