Christine Sinclair calls out CSA

Keegan

34 minutes ago, Boominbooty said:

Everyone needs to chill out. We'll get the media attention we are due. Christine Sinclair is a big name and probably the only soccer person that most Canadians could identify. If she says something, people listen. We are still in the low 70s and we are playing Dominica. I think it is unfortunate that this has become a new story. but the folks posting here need to relax and not get so butt hurt over it. The only people who will wind up looking bad will be the supporters as we get hurt over this perceived slight.

She is effectively saying the men's team is taking away attention from the women's team. That is why should commented on the Tabla video.

Are you suggesting she should escape criticism for that?

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

Are we mad at Sinclair? The CBC? Or the comments to their article?

It sounded to me like she was just trying to promote the womens' game, which is what she should be doing.

Good to see we've finally found a safe space where we can finally bond together over being oppressed by females. It's time men rise up and take what theirs. I wonder where Jordan Peterson sits on this one?

She could have done this without including the Tabla video. It literally has nothing to do with the women's qualifying tournament.

I follow a lot of the CanMNT players and they, like Sinclair, promote their team's upcoming games.

Unlike Sinclair, they don't publically remind the CSA not to forget about them in the midst of a CanWNT promotion. 

@youllneverwalkalone would you also give CanMNT players a pass if the shoe was on the other foot?

Edited by Obinna

1 minute ago, theaub said:

I took it as nothing more than good banter at the time.

It is unfortunate that people from all sides have to get all hyperbolic in their reaction to it.

This is where I blame CBC and other news networks reporting on it. Even if the intention from Sinclair was plain old good banter, they present it in a way that pits both programs against each other, which is tragic because there should never be any CanMNT versus CanWNT to begin with!

Hard to believe Sinclair didn't know better, but I can give her the benefit of the doubt, I suppose.

28 minutes ago, ted said:

The more I think about it, the less upset I get.

Think about how promotion and marketing works in the age of Twitter. She just got a ton of publicity for both games with a manufactured "beef". 

More people will be talking about the games and that is a good thing IMO.

As a big wrestling fan, I will applaud this if it is (or turns into) a shoot

21 minutes ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

It sounded to me like she was just trying to promote the womens' game, which is what she should be doing.

Good to see we've finally found a safe space where we can finally bond together over being oppressed by females. It's time men rise up and take what theirs. I wonder where Jordan Peterson sits on this one?

Peterson would probably be appalled by the use of the term "we" in this context as it is suggesting group-think or collectivism. ;)

Some people are annoyed with Sinclair, some are annoyed with the CBC and some find it a shame that Sinclair's comments have been supported with "That's right - screw the men, they suck!" -type comments by alleged Canadian soccer fans, comments that were entirely predictable once Sinclair included a video of Tabla encouraging people to come out and support Canada in her tweet (thus now countering the effect of the Tabla video). "We" don't share a hive mind, different people can be annoyed or disapproving of different things regarding this.

53 minutes ago, ted said:

The more I think about it, the less upset I get.

Think about how promotion and marketing works in the age of Twitter. She just got a ton of publicity for both games with a manufactured "beef". 

More people will be talking about the games and that is a good thing IMO.

That may be true, but this manufactured "beef" doesn't exactly sell our CanMNT team very well. To be sure: 

"The CSA may just have been a little over-enthusiastic in hyping the men's contest, given the roster for the 79th-ranked Canadian men was released Tuesday. As of 6 p.m. ET, there were 16 CSA tweets or retweets on the day about the CONCACAF Nations League qualifying game against No. 177 Dominica. The women's team got two tweets, one of which was birthday wishes to forward Adriana Leon"

In otherwords, the men's upcoming game is relatively unimportant.

Not sure if saying our game is overhyped falls in the "good promotion" category...

19 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

This is probably the best thing Sinclair could have done to bring attention to both games.

#ControversyCreatesCash

"Yeah I was on the fence about the dominica game but now I gotta buy tickets so that I can stick it to Sinclair and the WNT"

....said nobody ...ever.

As I said.. Sinclair is literally with the CSA. She could have talked to someone and it would have been done guaranteed.. instead she commented on Tablas video explicitly making a “victim” comment. 

The result if she talked to CSA = more coverage for women.

Venting on twitter = media articles, CSA taking down men’s coverage, crazies hating on our MNT for whatever reason ... and finally more coverage for women.

this shouldn’t be difficult to comprehend that she was wrong. 

1 hour ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

This may be the wackiest post of the year. Because everyone is totally saying we’re oppressed. What’s next, you’re going to call us nazis for stating a valid point?

You've then gone on to say that you would be okay if a men’s player did the same thing and forced the CSA into reducing women’s coverage so it’s hard to take you seriously. I personally would not be okay with either.

4 hours ago, deschamp86 said:

We finally have a reason to be excited for our Men's team, and someone has to call out CSA for being biased. I feel the CSA promotes the women's team just as much as the men's, if not more so. Was disappointed in this tweet

I think it's common knowledge that the Women's team actually makes more for the CSA and has a bigger budget for promotion, no?

Sinclair looking foolish in this.

Edited by zeelaw

I can't really get to bent out of shape about Sinclairs message, I can understand where she's coming from. I really wish she hadn't gone the typical USWNT route and made it an us vs them thing within our program. 

She's the biggest national star in our sport right now. I wish she had been able to team up with Alphonso (our next face) and really made the program united. 

23 minutes ago, hamiltonfan said:

Pass on giving a shit about this topic... 

CMNT HOME GAME OCT 16! All we should be focusing our attention on

To be fair this is about the game and it appears that our biggest (only?) advertising medium has now been slashed.  I imagine it will start up again at some point closer to the game but it’s unfortunate. 

Edited by Keegan

6 hours ago, paul-collins said:

So, she's about to begin the qualification tournament for next year's World Cup, where hopes are high that our team will have a chance to go deep, and she's disappointed that CSA hasn't even been able to secure coverage - not even streaming - and everyone's takeaway is that she's being mean?

This is a bad take, fellas.

Not like it hasn't happened to the men.

Edited by Wingback6

I think we can all agree that it would be great if both the Men's and Women's national team got more coverage in general. That said, I don't really like "budging in" on the Tabla announcement/celebration to promote the Women's team. I mean, she didn't even welcome Ballou or congratulate him in the tweet. That would have at least made it passable.

The timing is also confusing in a year where the Men's team BARELY FUCKING PLAYED, with the Herdman saying basically they don't need to right now and the fans wanting more (any?) matches.

Also...
Christine Sinclair has 268 caps
Julian De Guzman had 89 caps (the most on the Men's side)

The Women's team is more popular, more successful, and play more often than the Men's team. So, yeah...

I'd like to see if it were flipped around in separate situations, with one of the Canadian men putting out a passive-aggressive tweet like that. Especially if its later in the year and the women's team still hadn't played a home game yet. I'm sure the reaction would be very animated with a lot of sexism allegations going around.

My view, I wish Sinclair would have at least welcomed Ballou to the national team or something before asking something like that. Seems like a weird place to jump in and say something like that. Its Canada Soccer, we should all be working together including the Men's and Women's teams. 

5 hours ago, zeelaw1555362314 said:

I think it's common knowledge that the Women's team actually makes more for the CSA and has a bigger budget for promotion, no?

Sinclair looking foolish in this.

It doesn't have a bigger budget. It has the same budget.