Christine Sinclair calls out CSA

Keegan

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/canada-women-soccer-christine-sinclair-1.4848040

this is such a joke I don’t even know where to start.  Jealousy over Herdman? Any logical person can see how flawed this criticism is. 

Our Womens team gets more coverage than the Men, played over twice the games in 2018 and god forbid we promote our third game of the year and first and only home game.  I don’t recall any outrage from our men’s players when the CSA promoted women’s home friendly games and didn’t book home friendlies for the men.. funny. 

There has been plenty of coverage for the Women’s team and in a higher proportion than any other women’s nt in world football.  Why the hostility?  I’ve wondered for a while why there is a sect of women’s fans that want to hate on our men’s national team... screaming out “equal pay” like what does that even mean? This is CANADIAN soccer.. we have enough haters why can’t we all work together?

The CSA tweeted 16 times about the men and 2 times about the women yesterday.  It’s almost like the men released a roster or something..

Strange times we live in. Apparently it’s offensive that Canada is promoting its young stars for a home qualifier and Christine is missing the spotlight. 

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not going to jump down Sinclair's throat immediately; who knows how maliciously she meant for her tweet to be? But, if she does feel truly aggrieved about how much publicity the women get compared to the men, then I don't have a lot of sympathy for her. The women's team gets much more main stream coverage (obviously because they get results, but still).

Anyway, it was an unnecessary tweet in the end.

Well it’s just so disappointing that we have excitement building and then the highest profile player in the country says “wait a minute.. what about us”. As if the CSA is going to forget about the women’s team, give me a break.  

https://twitter.com/CanadaSoccerEN

and now? Yep they’ve unpinned all men’s tweets and you have to scroll down pages (on mobile) to even see a mention of a men’s game.  Yay, cry bullying works again. Don’t worry we’ll cut all promotion of a home qualifier not to offend you and here’s a link to purchase tickets to women’s qualifiers in the USA.

I wonder if CBC would run a story of Alphonso Davies complaining about the lack of men’s games compared to the women... or better yet in 2019 when the Women are in the World Cup let’s have everyone whine and complain that the men aren’t getting enough gold cup/nations league coverage. 

THANK YOU for posting this. This really pissed me off this morning. I’m on twitter reading all the comments supporting Sinclair and saying how the women’s team is getting shafted all the time. It’s a joke. Anyone with half a brain can see the men’s team got screwed for years. We had to resort to following them on foreign radio, had no home friendlies for months, World Cup qualifying games in 2015 (home games at BMO) weren’t even televised!

I’m all for equality but don’t tell me the men get more coverage. 

23 minutes ago, Keegan said:

Well it’s just so disappointing that we have excitement building and then the highest profile player in the country says “wait a minute.. what about us”. As if the CSA is going to forget about the women’s team, give me a break.  

https://twitter.com/CanadaSoccerEN

and now? Yep they’ve unpinned all men’s tweets and you have to scroll down pages (on mobile) to even see a mention of a men’s game.  Yay, cry bullying works again. Don’t worry we’ll cut all promotion of a home qualifier not to offend you and here’s a link to purchase tickets to women’s qualifiers in the USA.

Well that's really unfortunate. I liked their initial response -- kill em with kindness, don't make a fuss. Now they're legitimizing her.

We really don't need an us vs. them within our national programs. Very selfish. And I'm sure Sinclair would say that she didn't mean to diminish the men's team, just elevate the women, but the road to hell and all that.

4 minutes ago, Alex said:

THANK YOU for posting this. This really pissed me off this morning. I’m on twitter reading all the comments supporting Sinclair and saying how the women’s team is getting shafted all the time. It’s a joke. Anyone with half a brain can see the men’s team got screwed for years. We had to resort to following them on foreign radio, had no home friendlies for months, World Cup qualifying games in 2015 (home games at BMO) weren’t even televised!

I’m all for equality but don’t tell me the men get more coverage. 

Exactly right.  More challenges than any first world nation playing football, no media coverage, in fact most people hating on our men’s team... no support, no games, no money, qualifying games in the roughest environments on earth and now our men get a little spotlight for their trouble but oh wait here comes our football god Christine Sinclair to rain on a little coverage (literally a few tweets). 

The problem with this is it galvanizes all the crazies who want to act like the women’s team is getting shafted and it leads to bad press. That’s why the CSA has immediately backed off the men’s coverage and doubled down on the women’s (just go check social media today). Cowards.

The more I think about it, the more upset I get. Since the Gold Cup win, there has literally never been a time where you could be happy with the men's team. Players defecting, losing early in qualifiers, getting screwed out of the Gold Cup, changing managers every two months, embarrassing ourselves at the u20s we hosted, being unable to afford camps, playing one match a year that isn't televised, etc. Then this happens and the men's team sort of, kind of has some hope, and it gets immediately shit on.

It's like failing tests your whole life, then you get a 65 on one and you feel good, ready to take on the rest of the semester, and someone says "Yeah but I got an 85 and no one said anything so who cares about you, that's not anything to be proud of".

It hurts because Christine Sinclair is someone WE have elevated and supported since BEFORE she was mainstream.  She should know better. This hurts more than some idiot in the media taking a swipe.

In @El Diego example it’s more like we were failing tests together then our friend began to pass and we were psyched for them.. then years later we are now starting to pass and it’s “yea but I get 85s now what about me?”.

This crap is going to happen more often. The bigger the men get all these gender equality, women’s rights hardcores will come out screaming when they know nothing about the history of soccer in this country. I NEVER want the women to be second class citizens. But complaining about how many tweets the csa sent because we just released a roster and Tabla committed is just unwarranted 

Read the news and you can see the illogical place this is headed... evidence doesn’t matter, just outrage.  The CSA would be well advised to make a men’s Twitter and a women’s Twitter so they can do their job without the hysteria.

5 minutes ago, ray said:

Since when does CBC like stirring things up?  I would have expected this story from some hack media organization looking for eyeballs for their content.  Their standards are falling.

CBC are no different than any other big media company who are in a battle for readership in the social media age. Of course they'd resort to the same tactics as "hack media" sooner or later.

Some of the responses in that thread - particularly the ones indicating that the Canadian men's team do not deserve any promotion or coverage, coming from fans of Canadian soccer - are particularly unfortunate to read. I'm surprised they didn't tag Serena Williams in their responses while they were at it.

So, she's about to begin the qualification tournament for next year's World Cup, where hopes are high that our team will have a chance to go deep, and she's disappointed that CSA hasn't even been able to secure coverage - not even streaming - and everyone's takeaway is that she's being mean?

This is a bad take, fellas.

Many people in this country don’t even know we have a men’s team.. every person knows we have a women’s team.  I talk to people who don’t even think there are professional men outside MLS but yes we’ve had TOO MUCH coverage compared to our poor women. 

And then people will twist it saying “see? I didn’t even know there was a men’s team.. they obviously would get beat by the girls that proves they don’t deserve coverage” meanwhile ignoring every bit of logic in the football world.

1 minute ago, paul-collins said:

So, she's about to begin the qualification tournament for next year's World Cup, where hopes are high that our team will have a chance to go deep, and she's disappointed that CSA hasn't even been able to secure coverage - not even streaming - and everyone's takeaway is that she's being mean?

Criticism of the CSA for not providing a stream is completely fair. The end.

Everyone needs to chill out. We'll get the media attention we are due. Christine Sinclair is a big name and probably the only soccer person that most Canadians could identify. If she says something, people listen. We are still in the low 70s and we are playing Dominica. I think it is unfortunate that this has become a new story. but the folks posting here need to relax and not get so butt hurt over it. The only people who will wind up looking bad will be the supporters as we get hurt over this perceived slight.

14 minutes ago, paul-collins said:

She’s making a comment that will galvanize crazies, cut men’s coverage and give bad press. 

And look.. it worked.  Men’s coverage evaporated less than 24 hours after we released our roster for our first home game of 2018.

@paul-collins she’s with the women’s team and the CSA media.  She couldn’t have walked down a few rooms and knocked on a door? That just proves this  is calculated to create outrage.. 

Are we mad at Sinclair? The CBC? Or the comments to their article?

It sounded to me like she was just trying to promote the womens' game, which is what she should be doing.

Good to see we've finally found a safe space where we can finally bond together over being oppressed by females. It's time men rise up and take what theirs. I wonder where Jordan Peterson sits on this one?

1 hour ago, El Diego said:

The more I think about it, the more upset I get.

The more I think about it, the less upset I get.

Think about how promotion and marketing works in the age of Twitter. She just got a ton of publicity for both games with a manufactured "beef". 

More people will be talking about the games and that is a good thing IMO.

Archived