Ferdi Kadioglu

Ansem

• 4 months later...
18 hours ago, An Observer said:

There definitely fluent in English (and of course Dutch)...sometimes German but not much else unless they are from one of the immigrant communities

Even back in 1977 when I did the post university back pack tour of Europe, I was surprised on many people spoke English in Holland.

5 hours ago, toontownman said:

Most of Europe speaks English, just like most of England doesn't speak European. 

You should go to places outside of big cities/tourist centres... although there are more multilinguals in europe than in your province(except maybe quebec)... rest assured... the majority of Europe do not speak english. 

You never know. Twenty years ago I was backpacking through Portugal and one afternoon while I was having lunch at a sidewalk cafe a homeless man walked up to me and started speaking in Portuguese. I figured he’d go away when he realized I couldn’t speak his language but he immediately switched to perfect English. After a few sentences he stopped and asked, “Is English Okay? I can speak French”. I gave him five bucks.

10 hours ago, Norrin Radd said:

You never know. Twenty years ago I was backpacking through Portugal and one afternoon while I was having lunch at a sidewalk cafe a homeless man walked up to me and started speaking in Portuguese. I figured he’d go away when he realized I couldn’t speak his language but he immediately switched to perfect English. After a few sentences he stopped and asked, “Is English Okay? I can speak French”. I gave him five bucks.

The Portuguese, even the working class, often have nice English. Better than the Spanish, that is historical however. You'll find the general English competence level in many European countries is high school. Younger people are much better, unsurprisingly. But even 40 up are often awkward, and even in places like Germany. 

I rate the best English fluency as a 2nd language in Europe to be something like Denmark, Netherlands, Sweden, Norway, Finland and then the rest.

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

The Portuguese, even the working class, often have nice English. Better than the Spanish, that is historical however. You'll find the general English competence level in many European countries is high school. Younger people are much better, unsurprisingly. But even 40 up are often awkward, and even in places like Germany. 

I rate the best English fluency as a 2nd language in Europe to be something like Denmark, Netherlands, Sweden, Norway, Finland and then the rest.

My cousins in Finland all speak perfect English.  They all also speak German.

4 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

The data pretty much supports this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_language_in_Europe

Personally, in my travels in Europe the only place where I couldn't understand the train announcements was in England. It sounded like we weren't even speaking the same language!

Highlights of Ferdi and breakdown of his key skills per a Derby transfer target article back in mid 2020..

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/derby-county-transfer-news-kadioglu-3627875

..now back to the serious topic under discussion 😉

39 minutes ago, maplebanana said:

..the only place where I couldn't understand the train announcements was in England. It sounded like we weren't even speaking the same language!

..been 10 years in the UK and I still need my Glasgow mate's Czech girlfriend to translate what he says to me!

Edited by saintjoes