Ferdi Kadioglu

Ansem

5 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Who should we obsess over next?

Kadioglu played 82 minutes for the Netherlands U21 team against Gibraltar.

http://www.uefa.com/under21/match/2026658--gibraltar-vs-netherlands/lineups/?iv=true

I don't think he is playing that much at Fenerbahçe...

This is exactly who I would say is our next best prospective dual national.  Although given our center back woes, a completely injury riddled Ferreira & a lesser known Amuz would be right up there as well.  In my opinion of course.

Edited by Corazon

• 4 weeks later...

He just turned 20 in October and with 3 goals and 2 assists this season for one of Turkey's most prestigious clubs, I am not surprised that he is not committing to Canada just yet.  He has played for the Netherlands U16 through U21 programs a total of 36 times.  I have no doubt, he probably believes he potentially has a shot at the senior program.  36 international caps also means the senior program is well aware of him.  He is also eligible for the 2021 U21 Euro Championship with the Netherlands national program.

He has even less affiliation to Canada than Tomori did.  Breaking into the senior Dutch National team will be a tough feat for Ferdi but having just turned 20, I am not surprised he has held off committing.  Even if Ferdi realizes the Dutch team becomes unrealistic, he would likely look at The Turkish National program next.  Although there has been a recent resurgence of talented Turkish players and many playing abroad outside of Turkey, Fenerbahce is still one of the Turkish giants that supplies numerous players to the national program.  I took a quick look at the most recent Turkey squad and 4 of the 10 domestic based players came from Fenerbahce. 

Ferdi still has a long way to go to break into either national team in my opinion but neither senior team will be an easy feat.  He needs to continue to progress as Tomori did if he wants any shot at those two programs.  If I was Canada, I would continue to monitor him because I'm not sure he will ever break into those other senior programs.  Then again, a couple years ago, I likely would have said the same thing about Tomori and England.

Edited by Corazon

• 2 months later...

Ferdi has continued to be in the role of late game sub (after the 70th minute) for most games, especially stronger teams and he has been a starter vs weaker teams (bottom of the table teams in the league and lower division teams in the Turkish Cup).

Many supporters have been upset and want him to get more playing time.

Fernabahçe have just fired their coach (Ersun Yanal) so who knows what will happen now! 

He might become a starter or he may get glued to the bench.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

I never considered us as a probable choice for him, so it's positive that he even mentions us.

I seriously don't think that Netherlands is realistic at the moment, but it was the same with Tomori when it came to England. That showed us how changes at the club level can swing things.

Since his role seems to be slowing increasing with Fenerbache, his trajectory seems to be headed towards playing for Turkey. I think if a Bundesliga club plucks him away that could put him on the Dutch radar. I mean, he's already in their program, but it would be a signal that perhaps he's senior team ready. Same would apply if he moved to any of the big 4 leagues (performances depending of course). 

Unless there is some massive push by us to bring him in, I don't see why he would play for us. Herdman can be pretty convincing, but I don't think we're at the stage where emphasis is on recruitment. We have a HEX to qualify for, not to mention the Olympics. 

I would welcome him to our program, but I just don't see it happening. Would obviously love to be proven wrong.

Edited by Obinna

10 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I never considered us as a probable choice for him, so it's positive that he even mentions us.

This 100%. I am surprised he mentioned us. IMO that shows that the status of the CMNT has improved. 

I also don't see him suiting up for us, I would be happy to be wrong. If he doesn't work for Holland, Turkey will be next and if that doesn't work out it is Canada. At that point and for that to be his situation there is a strong possibility he might not even be at a level that gives him minutes for us, especially if our program continues to develop as it has the last few years. Hopefully we aren't in a purple patch and we are continuing to develop exciting young players. 

All that said 2026 (hopefully 2022) could be a factor and if he hasn't got caps with the dutch or turkey he might get itchy feet and Herdmans emails will pay off. 

As mentioned, 2026 + Davies & David making headlines and we are suddenly pretty desirable. I think more then Turkey, and hes going to have to wait and improve quite a bit for a Senior Dutch callup. We have a real chance. Although playing in Turkey and getting a cap with them would probably help him get a good payday.

Spam his social media with encouragement folks! Ballou seemed to appreciate the Instagram love from Canada when he was on the fence haha

20 minutes ago, bwilly11 said:

As mentioned, 2026 + Davies & David making headlines and we are suddenly pretty desirable. I think more then Turkey, and hes going to have to wait and improve quite a bit for a Senior Dutch callup. We have a real chance. Although playing in Turkey and getting a cap with them would probably help him get a good payday.

Spam his social media with encouragement folks! Ballou seemed to appreciate the Instagram love from Canada when he was on the fence haha

I love the optimism, but unfortunately I feel your statement is true for the neutral only...

True that Turkey is the same old mid-tier uefa team, while Canada is an up and coming team representing a non-traditional soccer country, led by the likeable Davies, whose name is on everyone's lips.

But although our story is more attractive to the neutral on-looker, the player in question is ethnically Turkish and that may count for a lot. Not really a neutral in other words. We should factor that in when assessing our chances, so that we are not too disappointed.

If he picks us it will be a bonus! 

Edited by Obinna

5 hours ago, Obinna said:

I love the optimism, but unfortunately I feel your statement is true for the neutral only...

True that Turkey is the same old mid-tier uefa team, while Canada is an up and coming team representing a non-traditional soccer country, led by the likeable Davies, whose name is on everyone's lips.

But although our story is more attractive to the neutral on-looker, the player in question is ethnically Turkish and that may count for a lot. Not really a neutral in other words. We should factor that in when assessing our chances, so that we are not too disappointed.

If he picks us it will be a bonus! 

I don’t think you have been watching Turkey lately. They beat France, and tied them in qualifying. They allowed 3 goals against all campaign, none coming from open play. They have been unlucky with some injuries the past couple months to big players, but was a legit dark horse for this Euro. In my book, a top 10 team for sure in UEFA. 

5 hours ago, TOCanada115 said:

I don’t think you have been watching Turkey lately. They beat France, and tied them in qualifying. They allowed 3 goals against all campaign, none coming from open play. They have been unlucky with some injuries the past couple months to big players, but was a legit dark horse for this Euro. In my book, a top 10 team for sure in UEFA. 

You're right, I haven't watched them play lately. I have seen the results though, certainly can't argue with them.

My perception of Turkey will change if they can have a big Euros this summer. QF or better would make me a believer. 

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, top cheese said:

Derby County have been linked with a move for Fenerbahce forward Ferdi Kadioglu, a 20-year-old who has represented Turkey at under-21 level. (Derby Telegraph)

To clarify, Derby County's Dutch coach Phillip Cocu used to be the coach at Fenerbahçe. Probably got along well with Kadioglu as they are both Dutch. He was the one who actually brought him to Fenerbahçe in 2018. Clearly wants to reunite with him and rates him highly. Didn't happen in January as Fenerbahçe blocked the deal but it might happen in the summer as Fenerbahçe have a new coach now. And who knows what the vision of the new Fenerbahçe coach is !

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

I think that's good for our chances, although I still don't see him choosing us. Getting him out of Turkey may weaken his ties to them as far as football goes, but Derby are in the English Championship, which should keep him off the Dutch radar, even with Cocu being the coach. I don't know what Derby's promotion chances are, but lately they usually come close but don't promote. Therefore, Kadioglu I don't think his EPL chances are very high in the near term, which I guess would be good for us. I really feel like I am reaching with this guy when it comes to his chances at playing for Canada.

• 2 months later...

The fact that he can play for not 1 not 2 but 3 countries is definitely something, because he could choose Netherlands since he was not only born there but his mother is Dutch too. However, his mother is also Canadian-born and his father is Turkish. However, in all likelihood, he could choose Netherlands also because he probably feels the most connected to that country having grown up in that country and having played there. He is probably holding out hope for a Netherlands senior national team call up. However, he could also go to Turkey's national team and do a nationality switch if the Netherlands reject him which could very well happen.

But then of course there is Canada who of course are outsiders when it comes to cap tying him. Canada is not exactly a footballing power in CONCACAF and they have not been to a FIFA World Cup since 1986. Ferdi obviously wants to play in a World Cup and he probably feels that with Netherlands, he has the best chance to do that. But if they reject him, then with Turkey he at least has all be it a slim chance to play at a World Cup or qualifying for one. Turkey's last appearance at a FIFA World Cup was 2002 in Korea/Japan so not that bad of a drought. 

With Canada, would he have a chance at playing at a FIFA World Cup? Yeah he would but not until 2026 though, because let's face it Canada probably won't qualify for Qatar 2022. But let's say Canada does in fact qualify for Qatar, then it makes his decision a lot more harder especially if Netherlands and or Turkey also qualify too.

3 hours ago, TGAA_Star said:

The fact that he can play for not 1 not 2 but 3 countries is definitely something, because he could choose Netherlands since he was not only born there but his mother is Dutch too. However, his mother is also Canadian-born and his father is Turkish. However, in all likelihood, he could choose Netherlands also because he probably feels the most connected to that country having grown up in that country and having played there. He is probably holding out hope for a Netherlands senior national team call up. However, he could also go to Turkey's national team and do a nationality switch if the Netherlands reject him which could very well happen.

But then of course there is Canada who of course are outsiders when it comes to cap tying him. Canada is not exactly a footballing power in CONCACAF and they have not been to a FIFA World Cup since 1986. Ferdi obviously wants to play in a World Cup and he probably feels that with Netherlands, he has the best chance to do that. But if they reject him, then with Turkey he at least has all be it a slim chance to play at a World Cup or qualifying for one. Turkey's last appearance at a FIFA World Cup was 2002 in Korea/Japan so not that bad of a drought. 

With Canada, would he have a chance at playing at a FIFA World Cup? Yeah he would but not until 2026 though, because let's face it Canada probably won't qualify for Qatar 2022. But let's say Canada does in fact qualify for Qatar, then it makes his decision a lot more harder especially if Netherlands and or Turkey also qualify too.

Did you really need that many words to say he is eligible for 3 countries and Canadas probably his 3rd option????

• 1 month later...

I'm not sure he will ever reach Dutch National team level.  However, given he is still only 20 years old and the fact that besides Memphis the attacking level for the Netherlands national team drops off quite significantly, he may very well get the call.  Obviously also quite known in the youth system having played for the U16, U17, U18, U19 & U21 squads.

With that being said, the fact he is playing in Turkey for one of the Turkish giants and getting regular starts, I wouldn't be surprised if Turkey was considering calling him soon.

Now that Tomori is with England, I believe Ferdi is the current best dual national player for Canada.