Calin Calaidjoglu

Chad_Impact

It seems like Calin Calaidjoglu isn't far from being called up to the Impact first team so I figured I'd start the thread. He's getting a lot of exposure at the moment as potentially being the next star to come out of the academy and he's recently trained with the first team. 

TVA Sports just aired a segment on him: http://www.tvasports.ca/2018/09/20/calin-calaidjoglu-la-pepite-qui-brille-plus-que-les-autres

Also was pointed out as the best prospect in the academy: 

https://canadasoccer.com/?pid=4687&t=profile&

Marcet is a Barcelona-based academy, a bit overly revenue-focused for my liking. Rather than a youth club per se, it is more a coaching philosophy for kids. Lot's of players esp from Russia pay to join and they then study in Barcelona. But they are a bit weak on competitive club play. They have a team, Technofutbol, where Spencer Hubble played in lower tier as a u-19. 

My kid played against this team, they were not in any way better than a lower level competitive academy.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

No one is obliged to take citizenship once you qualify for the time period. If anyone wanted to they could remain a PR and renew without ever asking for the citizenship test. 

As for Moldova yes one of if not the poorest in Europe however Romania a few years ago was giving out Romanian citizenship for those in Moldova who wanted it (history) and of course a lot did just to get out and have access to the rest of Europe as Romania is a EU country. That said if Calin is one of those people it would make him eligible to play for RO in addition to Moldova. 

Lets not highjack the kids thread with the usual will he wont baloney.  We now have good young prospects coming down the MLS pipeline (and elsewhere) fairly regularly.  If he is good enough why wouldnt he play for us, we need to stop being worried about this all the time.  We have a good young core of a team (minus the CBs), why wouldnt a kid who grew up here want to get in with Larin, Millar, Davies, David (Tabla?) et al??   

Isnt Calin the kid that showed really well with U-17 etc at the USDA showcase tournie is the states over the summer?

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

https://www.tvasports.ca/2019/06/04/calin-calaidjoglu-quitte-limpact-pour-leurope

Calaidjoglu has left the Impact and signed with French third tier club SO Cholet.

Details from the article:

• He has trained multiple times with Cholet since March, and the coaches immediately expressed their desire to sign him
  • Three year contract which includes a sell-on clause of 20-25% to Montreal should he be sold later on
  • He said "In the future, my goal is to go to Europe and play for a very good team."

All the best to Calin!

Edited by Jith12