CONCACAF WCQ -Texas Tournament - Oct 4th-17th

19 minutes ago, Blackdude said:

50% of the time, it would have worked. ie. Mexico in group B. I think that's why they went there. Since Mexico was in the other group, it made it not work.  I don't think CONCACAF would want co-hosting for this. 

It also probably makes it cheaper to travel to for the Southern teams.  They likely don't have very big budgets.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For sure. Seems a lost op for recovery in a five game tournament in a short period.

10-0 now and getting pretty hard to watch.

Not really sure what was learned from this game. Would have been interesting to just play the bottom 11 of the bench for 90 minutes knowing they likely won't get that chance again.

The real tournament starts Thursday: Costa Rica, then Mexico, then the USA.

Kind of unfortunate the tournament can't be just those four teams in a group stage where everyone plays everyone.

We're fortunate in that we have two very weak teams and then a progression of difficulty. Can't ask for a better schedule.

20 minutes ago, Vic said:

For sure. Seems a lost op for recovery in a five game tournament in a short period.

10-0 now and getting pretty hard to watch.

Not really sure what was learned from this game. Would have been interesting to just play the bottom 11 of the bench for 90 minutes knowing they likely won't get that chance again.

The real tournament starts Thursday: Costa Rica, then Mexico, then the USA.

Kind of unfortunate the tournament can't be just those four teams in a group stage where everyone plays everyone.

We're fortunate in that we have two very weak teams and then a progression of difficulty. Can't ask for a better schedule.

Costa Rica lost to Jamaica today so there's maybe an argument for having more than four teams here. 

11 hours ago, Nerf said:

Why is this tourney being played in a place where no-one shows up? What if this tourney was played in Vancouver/Seattle, or Toronto/Columbus?  Surely they could get bigger crowds playing somewhere other than ????, Texas.

I think low turnout is not just location.  I went to CONCACAF Olympic Qualification and it was the same way.  Only US games had 1000+ attendees.  Even US attendance could be better.  This is not well marketed and tickets are available too late. Given people need to travel to attend, tickets/schedule  need to be available six weeks or more in advance.  It's more like three weeks.

Having been there, I strongly recommend die-hard Canadians go to these CONCACAF qualifiers.  With so few Canadian fans in attendance, you can easily interact with the players after the game.

I also think they end up with limited options based on weather conditions.  They look for decent weather sites which will get US attendance since those are the only butts they can count on being in the seats. 

I am surprised they don't try to find grass stadiums though. 

HEB and Sahlens are grass. As is Toyota.

Americans had 7500 on Sunday. Always going to be hard to get numbers out for countries outside Mexico in the southern US. Maybe politics more of an issue this time around in that regard. And Cubans and Americans have some political issues too. Running the tournament takes a fair amount of resources. Not sure how many associations would be interested.

I didn't see the game against Jamaica but the team looked good today (against a terrible opponent of course). Cuba didn't mount much of a defense, but there were some fantastic balls to split the defense. Pass of the game definitely goes to Ashley Lawrence though for her one touch pass to Leon.

I don't know that I've ever seen a national team defend farther apart at the top of the box. Reminded back to a well-known English coach telling his defenders he didn't want them wider than the goalposts under pressure. 

2/3 of the group stage completed.  Average score 5-0.

Here is the team from Anguila that Cuba beat 10-0 in the pre-tournament qualification group stage. 

ANGUILA-300x216.jpg

Every day is a winding road.

On 10/8/2018 at 10:24 PM, carolynduthie said:

Costa Rica lost to Jamaica today so there's maybe an argument for having more than four teams here. 

Missed this one... yeah so maybe five ;)

Good on the Jamaicans, they really dropped their program in a bad way and great to see them back in action. I think they are playing over 15 games this year.

Not sure if we've won the group yet but Costa Rica beat Cuba by more than a touchdown too and then followed it up by losing to Jamaica. If a fired up Costa Rica upsets us, looks something like Jamaica will need to beat Cuba by at least 8-0 to go through.

I understand growing the women's game in the region but there are probably better ways to do that than who can beat the crap out of someone better.

4 minutes ago, Vic said:

I understand growing the women's game in the region but there are probably better ways to do that than who can beat the crap out of someone better.

Steven Sandor wrote about this yesterday. https://the11.ca/fifa-wants-to-optimize-womens-world-cup-qualifying-concacaf-is-the-place-to-start/

Summary, instead of having a country host qualifying over a couple weeks, do it more like the men do so teams get home qualifying matches.

OK that's freaky, I just posted that FIFA document in worldwide womens news and then saw your post here, I go to read about his thoughts on the changes to qualification and boom - a reference to the same document. Twilight zone...

Thanks for that, Sandor was a good read. They do the same ridiculous qualifying groups in UEFA where they go five to a group so it's a bit better but it can still come down to who can destroy someone better. They do seven groups of five and the winner of each group goes direct to the WWC. So high stakes means sportsmanship is out the window.

A 17 year old Panamanian GK stopped a PK from Charlyn Corral who is now 27 and should be in her prime (it seems like just yesterday she was the 14 year old phenom bursting on the scene).

Panama were outshot 25-13 but had more shots on net than the Mexico.  Although the real numbers are Panama with only 37% possession and only 50% passing accuracy.  Sounds like bang it out and defend the box.

I wonder if the sure-to-be-floored and in total disbelief Mexicans cut the funding to their domestic league or double it. Hopefully the latter.

And yeah, now we're up to 6 teams ;)  Complete madness and unexpected and unprecedented results, but love it.

Edit:  Just double checked a second source and noticed a huge discrepancy in passing accuracy reported by :

http://goo.gl/5SMJGY

https://www.concacaf.com/en/world-cup-qualifying-women/game-detail/456378#tab_match=match-details

Two huge upsets. Jamaica beating Costa Rica and Panama beating Mexico. Both underdogs had less possession, fewer passes and that were less accurate and with fewer shots on goal. Two true upsets.

This makes me even more sad that Haiti really got the shaft by being put in the same qualifying group as Jamaica...Haiti should have been at this tournament in the place of Cuba.

EDIT: So far the real winners are Argentina. They must be so happy right now.

7 hours ago, The Ref said:

Is  Heiner-Moller doing a better job than the Preacher.

I would vote for "too early to tell", especially since Herdman didn't even coach Canada in this competition (he wasn't around yet in 2010, and Canada didn't need to qualify in 2014 since they hosted in 2015) so there is no good way to compare. If Heiner-Moller manages to get Canada to beat the USA though I would think that would be the first step to building a more impressive resume than Herdman did with his time with the CWNT. But of course he'd still need more results than that to make a strong case.

If I read the tiebreakers correctly (points, then goal difference), the only way we don't top the group is (a) an eight goal loss to Costa Rica ,or (b) a loss to Costa Rica and a Jamaican win by 15 over Cuba. So we can pretty much dink with the roster and playing time one more go round. Quite fortunate for recovery.

Sunday everything gets down and dirty and it will be interesting to see the personnel deployed and tactics and any changes to the system of play.

Still completely stunned by the Mexican exit stage left.

Be interesting to see what the announced attendance is for Jamaica v Cuba that just kicked off.  At kickoff looks like it is 3.

Took Jamaica a whole minute to take the lead. Beautiful bent free kick.

Jamaica 9-0 Cuba. So the only way Costa Rica can get to the World Cup is by beating Canada by two goals.  And they're pretty lucky at that, Jamaica could not score in the last ten minutes of the game or it would have been three or more they needed to win by.

So it will be a highly motivated team on the other side of the pitch tonight. If we play a soft lineup it will be a good experience for them. But at the same time, if we do, and lose by two, Jamaica will be some pissed.

Archived