CONCACAF WCQ -Texas Tournament - Oct 4th-17th

1 hour ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Congrats to Sheridan on the call-up! Wishing a swift recovery for McLeod.

Truly, D'Angelo gets no love?

D'angelo was mostly a back-up in NWSL. She only played 25% of the matches in NWSL. Sheridan played every match but one. D'Angelo was apparently at camp after the NWSL final, but I'm wondering if they haven't been impressed from what they've seen. That's what I'm thinking there.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The marquis match of the group stage is tonight where presuming we don't lay an egg we find out our crossover. It's at 7:30 EST and 4:30 PDT and carried on FoxSports2. The Panama / T&T game is before it.

Mexico is interesting in that almost all the mids play in their domestic league while the defenders and strikers pretty much all play abroad in Spain, Iceland or the USA.

Curious if they will play Santiago or Henninger.

The machine that is US Soccer has an entire site devoted to their WNT WC qualification:
https://www.ussoccer.com/womens-national-team/tournaments/2018-concacaf-womens-championship#tab-1

Tournament site is here:
https://www.concacaf.com/en/world-cup-qualifying-women

10 hours ago, Blackdude said:

D'angelo was mostly a back-up in NWSL. She only played 25% of the matches in NWSL. Sheridan played every match but one. D'Angelo was apparently at camp after the NWSL final, but I'm wondering if they haven't been impressed from what they've seen. That's what I'm thinking there.

D'angelo played for a team that lost 1 of 24 games. Sheridan played for a team that won 1 of 24 games.

12 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

At that point, when she made that tweet, I'm not sure the CSA had even mentioned the stream yet! Hence her frustration. I'd be too.

Yeah I think that's the salient point.  I mean, their first game is *today*...  Christine's question about whether CSA was going to promote their tournament at all was just a couple of days ago.  

59 minutes ago, paul-collins said:

Yeah I think that's the salient point.  I mean, their first game is *today*...  Christine's question about whether CSA was going to promote their tournament at all was just a couple of days ago.  

Their first game is tomorrow, not today.  Quoting you about the game, the rest is not directed at PC (apropo initials....lol.)

They don't control the production/rights/distribution on the stream end. They were likely waiting to find out if there would even be a stream.  Our event on the 14th, the semi finals they were unsure if we could even see that game as of a few days ago and hence how to structure/time that event.  Contrary to popular belief they can't just walk into a stadium and set up a camera.  

They were 100% going to cover the crap out of WWCQ.  Why wouldn't they?  Why does everyone assume the worst possible scenario when there is no evidence otherwise? 

They were riding a high, a very rare high and certainly the first in the era of social media for the men's team.  Think of that for a moment, for the first time in the history of the entire platform the mens team had something positive going on social media. 

4 minutes ago, admin said:

Their first game is tomorrow, not today.  Quoting you about the game, the rest is not directed at PC (apropo initials....lol.)

They don't control the production/rights/distribution on the stream end. They were likely waiting to find out if there would even be a stream.  Our event on the 14th, the semi finals they were unsure if we could even see that game as of a few days ago and hence how to structure/time that event.  Contrary to popular belief they can't just walk into a stadium and set up a camera.  

They were 100% going to cover the crap out of WWCQ.  Why wouldn't they?  Why does everyone assume the worst possible scenario when there is no evidence otherwise? 

They were riding a high, a very rare high and certainly the first in the era of social media for the men's team.  Think of that for a moment, for the first time in the history of the entire platform the mens team had something positive going on social media. 

No, they can't just go in and set up a camera, but it's been known for weeks that Fox Sports would be televising everything, the whole tournament (or at least streaming online, I think some of the non-US games they were originally planning on televising were bumped for baseball playoffs), so obviously someone had been able to acquire rights to these games before yesterday. 

1 minute ago, carolynduthie said:

No, they can't just go in and set up a camera, but it's been known for weeks that Fox Sports would be televising everything, the whole tournament (or at least streaming online, I think some of the non-US games they were originally planning on televising were bumped for baseball playoffs), so obviously someone had been able to acquire rights to these games before yesterday. 

Well the same point still stands.  They can't simply broadcast something or stream it any more than they can simply set up a camera in the stadium. 

Whatever is going on, be it USVI game or WWCQ something is posing a problem to sorting this out when it comes to CONCACAF and all the parties invovled. 

I think the CSA has done enough in the past few years they should be able to shed any ire directed towards them that this is some kind of ambivilience on their part towards making games accessible in Canada. 

Mexico got their ass kicked. 6-0 USA. So Mexico to qualify in the semi and a much weaker opponent in the bronze falling that. And failing that a playoff. So three chances against teams all likely ranked well below. 

I can't remember the group determination format for France but winning the tournament would obviously be better than qualifying in the back door. 

The Americans are pretty formidable and our record against them isn't the greatest (to put it mildly) but it's football and 90 minutes and the last men's and women's Euros were good examples of the unpredictable outcomes that can take place on any given Sunday.

On 10/3/2018 at 1:14 PM, BreadBoy said:

From the Canada Soccer website:

How to watch Canada’s group stage

In Canada, the Concacaf Women’s Championship will be broadcast by Concacaf on ConcacafGO.com. Direct links to Canada’s games are as follows:

Friday, October 5, 2018 at 20:30 ET (17:30 PT): Canada Soccer Women’s National Team v Jamaica

Monday, October 8, 2018 at 20:30 ET (17:30 PT): Canada Soccer Women’s National Team v Cuba

Thursday, October 11, 2018 at 22:00 ET (19:00 PT): Canada Soccer Women’s National Team v Costa Rica

In addition, exclusive behind-the scenes content and post-match commentary is available on Canada Soccer’s digital channels including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and YouTube.

Repost.

I think maybe the individual game links are bad, just go to https://www.oz.com/ and find the link on the homepage.

Edit:

You need to give a login and password to access but it will take whatever you enter and give access right away, there's no reverse-email authentication required.

It's a good thing Prince came to play. She saved what would have been one of the worst results ever.

Also lucky the ref was blind and missed Buchanan's foul in the box or it's 1-1 late and a different game.

Hard to believe it takes that to beat Jamaica... #64. Ranked below the I's (Iran, India, Israel). No national network of PTC and NTC, youth players not paying $8k per year, players salaries not paid, total team combined salaries a miniature fraction of ours.

The good news is if you're going to crap the bed, do it against Jamaica. Not the US and Mexico. 

Too bad the CSA didn't get the message out sooner... Must be why the attendance was about 100. 

It didn't look like tactics were a problem, rather it was execution.  The whole team looked pretty rusty.  I didn't see anyone who didn't have poor touches and didn't seem out of rhythm with everyone else.  Here's hoping that they all get better as a group as the tournament goes on.

I guess I think it was more than just poor execution.  This felt like the 2015 version of the team trying to build up play and not really knowing how to do that more than pass back to the closest player or boot it down to someone else which is harder to handle and maintain possession. 

The team had gotten better at buildup and using space.  If you can't use space and tie together several passes against Jamaica, you have no chance against a better opponent.  By trying to make long aerial passes, they helped equalize the two teams.  Had they used possession, they should have held the ball for long periods and had many more chances. 

They are susceptible to an upset if this continues.  Too much talent on this team to look like this.  I mean you barely noticed Fleming.  But you couldn't since they didn't try to use passing and involve the midfield.

Rusty can affect some things but the decision making and style of play are not rust.

You barely noticed anyone. Most people did ok, some in the back and middle were even good. But as a collective it was God awful. They looked uninspired and awkward as a unit and arrogant in thinking showing up would deliver 8-0 like in the old days (Canada has played Jamaica a handful of times before yesterday and won all with 40 goals for and 1 against).

Pellerud, Morace, Herdman... these are strong individuals. You don't get that sense yet from Heiner-Møller or his staff. Then you have the players... the veterans literally on their last legs who can't get to a ball and younger players who for all their speed and energy don't have the mental skills to bury and put away a real lightweight. Perhaps there is a bit of a power vacuum in the leadership.

It was too conservative of a lineup against a team parking the bus. Players like Schmidt & Matheson didn't need to see the pitch. Players like Huitema, Leon & Rose should have started. 

It was not the case of playing the long ball as Jamaica was behind the ball 90% of the time. Canada didn't know how to break them down in the final third. Fleming & Sinclair were non-existent in the build up. Lawrence & Chapman weren't upfield enough, A true striker like Beckie looked too isolated out out on the wing.

But give credit for Jamaica for being organized and not tiring out. 

Why is this tourney being played in a place where no-one shows up? What if this tourney was played in Vancouver/Seattle, or Toronto/Columbus?  Surely they could get bigger crowds playing somewhere other than ????, Texas.

2 minutes ago, Nerf said:

Why is this tourney being played in a place where no-one shows up? What if this tourney was played in Vancouver/Seattle, or Toronto/Columbus?  Surely they could get bigger crowds playing somewhere other than ????, Texas.

50% of the time, it would have worked. ie. Mexico in group B. I think that's why they went there. Since Mexico was in the other group, it made it not work.  I don't think CONCACAF would want co-hosting for this. 

I honestly don't know if Cuba would win high school provincials. The gaps they consistently leave when defending at the top of the box you could drive a cruise ship through.

Their GK is their best player. Hope she doesn't get pissed off and end one of our high school players.

Archived