MARTÍN AMUZ

bwilly11

Looking at youtube highlights isn't a good indication, I get that. But if I'm being honest, when looking at the highlights a short while back, he looked poor. The standard in play looked surprisingly poor than I thought it would. But like I said, it's still a bad way to judge.

I do agree that Canada fans fall in love with where these players play and not their actual talent at times.

Edited by Colliedor

• 1 month later...

I cannot recall if it was on the forum, on twitter (or both) that somebody posted about Martín Amuz not getting called to the Uruguay U23 team. In fact, seemed to be very far from a call-up.

http://www.auf.org.uy/gustavo-ferreyra-definio-el-plantel-para-el-torneo-preolimpico-2020/

Obviously, there is no more possibility of youth football for him with Uruguay. Uruguay is also such a strong team at senior level that the chances that he will improve enough to get a look with them over the next 5 years are slim to none. Will he be a better centre-back at U23 level than Scott Kennedy? Has anybody actually watched the two of them play to compare?

Do you think he will join our U23 squad?

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/1/2020 at 3:24 PM, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

I cannot recall if it was on the forum, on twitter (or both) that somebody posted about Martín Amuz not getting called to the Uruguay U23 team. In fact, seemed to be very far from a call-up.

http://www.auf.org.uy/gustavo-ferreyra-definio-el-plantel-para-el-torneo-preolimpico-2020/

Obviously, there is no more possibility of youth football for him with Uruguay. Uruguay is also such a strong team at senior level that the chances that he will improve enough to get a look with them over the next 5 years are slim to none. Will he be a better centre-back at U23 level than Scott Kennedy? Has anybody actually watched the two of them play to compare?

Do you think he will join our U23 squad?

Really hope both he and Scott get called at least into an initial squad. Miller and Cornelius pick themselves but who knows where we go after those two. Dunn, TMG, N'Sa, Romeo or Montgomery? 

• 5 weeks later...

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_CONMEBOL_Pre-Olympic_Tournament

Despite some good results, Uruguay fail to make it to the Olympics.

Amuz does not look like he is on a trajectory that would eventually lead to first team football with Uruguay and now all opportunities for youth football are over for him.

Time to play for Canada!

On 1/12/2020 at 5:06 AM, toontownman said:

Really hope both he and Scott get called at least into an initial squad. Miller and Cornelius pick themselves but who knows where we go after those two. Dunn, TMG, N'Sa, Romeo or Montgomery? 

In this case (especially with defenders) I hope minutes will be a deciding factor. I don't want the kid with the highest ceiling, but the one that is playing the most at the highest level at that time. 

18 hours ago, shamrock said:

In this case (especially with defenders) I hope minutes will be a deciding factor. I don't want the kid with the highest ceiling, but the one that is playing the most at the highest level at that time. 

Yeah to a point. There has to he a happy medium. Someone like Amuz not amassing as many minutes as someone in USL league one shouldnt necessary be a deciding factor as the level gap is big. Likewise whether Montgomery is rated highly or not if he is untested professionally it's a gamble to put him ahead of those that are.

Even then that is very black and white and doesnt count what the CSA coaches have seen of the players and value in their potential, previous integration with the set up etc.

• 7 months later...

I don't imagine the U23 Uruguay league is very strong. If he's only played 13 first team games with Danubio, a mid-level club, he's a little behind his peers, such as Cornelius and Miller. Even Miller is sort of playing catch up, having only played 22 league games with Orlando to date, and that's almost double the games Amuz has had.

That said, it doesn't mean he can't blossom into an important player. Not everyone can pull a Richie Laryea, but he too was lacking in experience two years ago. Just look at him now!

Sometimes a player needs a fresh start. For Laryea that was Toronto. Maybe Amuz will get his breakthrough or find playing time elsewhere. Maybe it is even with Canada that he gets that chance which sees him kick off his career. 

Edited by Obinna

On 10/1/2020 at 12:08 PM, Obinna said:

I don't imagine the U23 Uruguay league is very strong. If he's only played 13 first team games with Danubio, a mid-level club, he's a little behind his peers, such as Cornelius and Miller. Even Miller is sort of playing catch up, having only played 22 league games with Orlando to date, and that's almost double the games Amuz has had.

That said, it doesn't mean he can't blossom into an important player. Not everyone can pull a Richie Laryea, but he too was lacking in experience two years ago. Just look at him now!

Sometimes a player needs a fresh start. For Laryea that was Toronto. Maybe Amuz will get his breakthrough or find playing time elsewhere. Maybe it is even with Canada that he gets that chance which sees him kick off his career. 

He worked his way up the Danubio system from the youth squads to becoming a full fledged first team starter in October of 2019. To my knowledge, this would still be the case if not for some personal/private matters beyond football. Great to hear he's back! I would assume this present time spent with the reserves (similar to Eustaquio's time spent with the Cruz Azul reserves), is likely nothing more than a conditioning stint to get his form and fitness back to where it was at the end of 2019. Looking forward to see him rep the Red and White with the rest of our young standouts.

• 2 months later...

Danubio starts training for the Clausura tomorrow. This will be a good gauge to see where he is in the pecking order going forward or if he needs a change of scenery. Hopefully he can wrestle his starting spot back on the 1st team.

Edited by Güerito