CanPL should announce it is playing 1 league game a year in Spain

Admin

It may sound snooty, I appreciate that, and the contrary argument is charming as an irony. The idea that CPL games could be seen, however, on television, is not entirely far-fetched: nowadays it all involves packages, and you can find some lesser draws amongst packages all the time. I can watch MLS live on Eurosport in Spain.

But let's make the other argument, seriously, in favour. Then the one against.

In principle the idea is smart, on the part of La Liga, as it reflects what they see with the NBA and others doing games in Europe. It follows an existing principle of promoting your league outside its immediate area of activity, which is not that easy to do, but could increase overall value. And it also follows on a recent, unprecedented experience for Spain, playing the Spanish Super Cup in Tangier, Morroco. I can make another argument in its favour, compared to the Champions Cup friendlies played across North America: at least it would be an official match, as these preseason friendlies are much worse as cash grabs, there is no real competitive edge and what fans are being charged is inordinate. I have seen the same with NBA friendlies in Europe, they are fun (I've seen Sixers, saw Clippers with Paul) , but the level of real competition is questionable. Then another issue: Spain has real problems promoting its merits beside EPL, there is a huge television deal for premiership in the USA, and the Spanish competitive edge has to come from somewhere else. This would be a step ahead of EPL, and would help mitigate the EPL domination.  So the logic is, IMO, impeccable. Remember too, the proposal actually came from the company promoting the Champions Cup, part owners of the Dolphins I think.

What is, really, the difference between promoting the game on TV, drawing fans and interest, and promoting a real game live in a stadium? Why is the latter more problematic than the former?

The arguments against are merely practical, but important. First, most season ticket packages include all key matches. If you have a Real Madrid home to Valencia and it goes to Miami, that takes a key home game away from Madrid fans, one of only 19. Or if it is Barça away to Sevilla, you take that match away from the Sevilla fan. And you would have to ensure financial compensation, as home to Barça is a big financial draw. This argument could be made exactly for a Serie A or EPL match in the US, all would take away from league fan base. Further, you would need permission from the USSF, to play an official match. Would MLS and other leagues complain as it would represent a sort of unfair competition? I am not sure. A further argument against: players would be subject to more travel, in an already hard schedule, where top teams are playing over 50 games a year, Europe, cups, preseason included, and players have international dates. Mind you: NBA and other US sports leagues accept this extra travel as a way to promote their leagues.

As I see it, the most logical match to be played would be the one just seen, the Spanish Super Cup, which pits League vs. Cup winner. Or League vs. Cup runner up, as was this latter case. It is still preseason, you guarantee top players as it is the first title, it is a summer match and you are not settled into training back home yet. It does not draw local fans too much. Logically, the UEFA could be doing the same, the former Carling Cup could do something similar. 

Now I'll just shut up and let you get back to the derision.

They are now reporting the proposal is quite advanced: HFC Wanderers vs. The Forge at the Santiago Bernabeu, season opener.

Seriously, the games now proposed are Girona-Barça, 27 Jan, or Betis-Barça, 17 March. Girona being part of the ManCity group that could help sell the idea to possible MLS doubters, given at least that MLS franchise would not oppose. The tv and gate packages would compensate the respective home teams. 

I do not know if there would be a similar deal for Real Madrid.

Archived