Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Kent

Full CONCACAF Club Index

Recommended Posts

Realistically yes it will probably take several years, and of course perhaps next year we get unlucky with a draw and end up getting Saprissa or something in the first round and go home without any points for the year. But 1 or 2 years of outstanding results (like winning the whole thing kind of outstanding) would shoot us up the ranking quite quickly I think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First of all thanks for this great work. Maybe the reason there was no discussion as you mentionned 2-21-2019 was that before Forge played, it was not evident  how important the index was for determing fixture in the future.

As Rintaran mentionned, i doubt Concacaf will use the same point system for the preliminary round. As we can see Saprissa will have already 8,5 points for the preliminary round. If they draw the 2 games in the round of 16 but lose on away goals they will have 10,5 points and Agila only 4.5 if we use this points system. So by creating the  preliminary round in Concacaf league, Concacaf basically created a third level of competition. But the prelimanary participants cannot get 0 point in that round because  there must be a way to go from pot 2 team to pot 1 team and getting the advantage of being the receiver of the second leg in the future years of the tournement. I don't have a clue about how they will adress this problem...

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I don't see a problem with awarding full points for the preliminary round. These are the lower seeds and are expected to lose in the next round anyway. And their preliminary round win might boost them ahead of teams who lose their first tie in the following round, perhaps resulting in a seeding reversal so that different teams have to play in the preliminary round next time, which seems fair.

In the unlikely event that a preliminary round team wins the whole thing they do have the potential for more total points than teams that did not play in the preliminary round. But when you couple the low probability with the fact that they would only get that small advantage once (because all those points would get them a higher seeding next time) I think it would work fine.

I quite like the system actually. I have a few quibbles but the idea of 3 pts for a win and 1 for a draw is very appealing in its simplicity. 

Edited by Lofty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Lofty said:

I don't see a problem with awarding full points for the preliminary round. These are the lower seeds and are expected to lose in the next round anyway. And their preliminary round win might boost them ahead of teams who lose their first tie in the following round, perhaps resulting in a seeding reversal so that different teams have to play in the preliminary round next time, which seems fair.

In the unlikely event that a preliminary round team wins the whole thing they do have the potential for more total points than teams that did not play in the preliminary round. But when you couple the low probability with the fact that they would only get that small advantage once (because all those points would get them a higher seeding next time) I think it would work fine.

I quite like the system actually. I have a few quibbles but the idea of 3 pts for a win and 1 for a draw is very appealing in its simplicity. 

Good points. I hadn't thought of it that way.

We'll have to see what happens. Unfortunately we probably won't have answers to our questions until next summer when they show the scores/pots for the 2020 CONCACAF League draw.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Kent said:

Good points. I hadn't thought of it that way.

We'll have to see what happens. Unfortunately we probably won't have answers to our questions until next summer when they show the scores/pots for the 2020 CONCACAF League draw.

This is true, we'll have to wait for verification.

You use a proper spreadsheet with formulas & cell referencing for keeping track of all this right?

So it should be easy enough to change your weight chart reference and have the points update across the board?

If not, let me know. I can put one together in excel and send it over.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Rintaran said:

This is true, we'll have to wait for verification.

You use a proper spreadsheet with formulas & cell referencing for keeping track of all this right?

So it should be easy enough to change your weight chart reference and have the points update across the board?

If not, let me know. I can put one together in excel and send it over.

Yeah, I've got a pretty proper spreadsheet. It won't be hard to change if/when I find out the new system. Thanks for the offer though!

Edited by Kent

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Updated the OP with all of this week's results.

HON1 passes SLV2 and CRC2
CRC3 passes SLV1 into a tie with CRC1
SLV3 passes CCC3, PAN4, CCC1 and moves into a tie with HON3.
CAN2 and GUA3 still can't shake each other at the bottom, but continue to gain on the field.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was unplugged most of the week so just updating the numbers now.

SLV3 passed HON3
GUA1 passed CCC3
GUA3 separated themselves from CAN2

PAN2 (Independiente this time around) is only 4 points behind MEX4 for a spot that should earn them a spot in the Champions League (but we know that won't happen unfortunately). They could pass MEX4 in the next round if they do well enough against Saprissa. If these points were used for placement in CCL/CL that would put 2 Panamanian teams directly into the Champions League, along with one Canadian team, 4 American teams, and only 3 Mexican teams.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Updated with this weeks results.

CRC3 passed CRC1, SLV2, and CRC2
HON2 passed SLV1, CRC1, SLV2, and CRC2
SLV3 passed CRC4 and PAN3 to move from CL Pot 1 up to CL Pot 4, pushing CRC down from CL Pot 4 to CL Pot 1.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Updated with this weeks results.

CRC1 passed SLV2, CRC2 and HON2.
CCC2 passed NCA1, CCC3 and GUA1, moving into a tie with PAN4. They also went from CL Pot 2 up to CL Pot 1.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...