Goderich CPL

On 10/12/2018 at 1:39 PM, Rintaran said:

Are cookies pastry? I always kinda kept them in their own category...

I'm not the world's best footy tactician, but I did graduate with straight A's (both in practical and theory) from Baking school.

No, cookies are not pastries.  Cookies lack, what we call in the industry, squishy-fluffiness.  (plus they're not made with pastry flour, etc.)

As for putting raisins in cookies, it's extremely difficult, even for the most experienced bakers, to make oatmeal raisin cookies without raisins.

6 hours ago, Keegan said:

If you're referring to Phillips Bakery that's in St. Vincent.. right next to the library IIRC.  

You know when Wesley Charles, who is a St Vincent and Granadine national, played for Whitecaps in 2009-09, someone at the Southside came up with a Phillips Bakery chant. All I can remember, and I was only there that summer for maybe 2-3 games, was it ended "Phillips BAK-ery!!". Wish someone here could remind us how it went.

On 2/2/2019 at 9:08 AM, Keegan said:

If you're referring to Phillips Bakery that's in St. Vincent.. right next to the library IIRC.  

I stand corrected, thank you.  

However, if you're going to name a small island country in the Caribbean St Vincent and the Grenadines, and there's already a small island country in the Caribbean called St. Kitts and Nevis, you deserve a little confusion, no matter how good your national bakery is, and how close it is to the library.

3 hours ago, SuperCanuck said:

I stand corrected, thank you.  

However, if you're going to name a small island country in the Caribbean St Vincent and the Grenadines, and there's already a small island country in the Caribbean called St. Kitts and Nevis, you deserve a little confusion, no matter how good your national bakery is, and how close it is to the library.

6 countries in the world have the word “and” in their name. CONCACAF has 4 of them. So we are number 1 at something I guess.

• 1 year later...

Skeptical on that having been there a few times for soccer, but I guess the positive thing you could say is that there's probably a lot less danger of being told to squeal like a pig than there is in Embro, Glencoe, Dutton or West Lorne, which are this is my brother Darryl and my other brother Darryl sort of places in Southwestern Ontario.

Got a laugh out of this thread. Played hockey all throughout this area back in the 60s when I was a young fellow on the peewee all star team out of RCAF station Centralia (now Huron Park). BTW, setting for Ann-Marie MacDonald's Steven Truscott inspired 'The Way The Crow Flies'.

Edited by Ed_S

On 4/25/2020 at 4:38 PM, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Skeptical on that having been there a few times for soccer, but I guess the positive thing you could say is that there's probably a lot less danger of being told to squeal like a pig than there is in Embro, Glencoe, Dutton or West Lorne, which are this is my brother Darryl and my other brother Darryl sort of places in Southwestern Ontario.

When the Queen passed through town in the 50's she remarked that, "Goderich must be the prettiest town in all of Canada," and it just sort of stuck as a marketing gimmick.

On 4/25/2020 at 8:39 PM, The Real Marc said:

Nice downtown Goderich sure has/ Never been to the gaol though.

It was nicer before the tornado.  The tornado knocked down or severely damaged several buildings downtown and ripped but one of the trees in the courthouse square.