Goderich CPL

Imagine the small town of Goderich being promoted to the Canadian Premier League. A quaint stadium full of passion and heart. The minnows taking 3 pts from one of the established teams in the leage. It would be a fairy-tale. This is not something you will ever see in NA, unless you support causes like this.

Join us & support Goderich!

I DECLARE WE USE THIS THREAD FOR SHITPOSTS AND RENAME IT "Dear Kirsty Duncan, the honourable Minister of Sport and Persons with Disabilities, please pressure Pablo Rodríguez, the honourable Minister of Canadian Heritage, into pressuring Catherine Tait, the CEO of the CBC, into airing CPL games hosted by Catherine Tate, British comic and the best companion, with colour commentary by Wandrille Lefevre."

Edited by matty

12 hours ago, jpg75 said:

Look at the pic on his twitter. Replacing town hall in the middle of town.

I`m well aware that this was almost certainly meant as a way to show how gullible people on here are (clearly unsuccessful, if that`s the case). The only reason I asked is that if memory serves me right there was a reasonably impressive looking grandstand (a considerably smaller version of Woodbine basically) at that location along with the town`s soccer field. If someone was mildly serious but deeply delusional in a Port Hope for NHL expansion sort of way,  that would probably still need to be there and capable of a retrofit.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

The picture replacing the town hall was just an image I made for fun, that is obviously not where the stadium will go. Don't be fooled, our group really wants to bring soccer to Goderich and we appreciate any support for our grassroots movement. In the coming week or so, we will be launching our website. 

40 minutes ago, CanPL4Goderich said:

The picture replacing the town hall was just an image I made for fun, that is obviously not where the stadium will go. Don't be fooled, our group really wants to bring soccer to Goderich and we appreciate any support for our grassroots movement. In the coming week or so, we will be launching our website. 

Big mistake. The trend is to build in the city core so that fans have an easier commute to the stadium/arena. If you build outside the town centre you'll be stuck in a situation like the Ottawa Senators, where fans are forced to drive. Crowds will be impacted by probably tens of thousands. 

2 minutes ago, jpg75 said:

Big mistake. The trend is to build in the city core so that fans have an easier commute to the stadium/arena. If you build outside the town centre you'll be stuck in a situation like the Ottawa Senators, where fans are forced to drive. Crowds will be impacted by probably tens of thousands. 

Could be the difference between Goderich drawing 273 and -9,727

I think this guy is legit in his want for a CPL team.  I do think logistically it would be extremely tough.  But it is exciting to see small communities want teams.  If we can get the CPL going strong and then create some divisions under it for smaller communities such as Goderich.  Eventually put a relegation/promotion system in place, that'd be cool.  Of course this is years down the road, but I don't think we should diminish smaller communities excitement for this league.

2 hours ago, CanPL4Goderich said:

Not sure where all of the hostility is coming from. If you don't support, that's fine. Let some of us help in bringing soccer to communities across Canada.  

Firstly it is a joke.

Secondly its already been said that a 5,000-6,000 average attendance would be needed to break even. That would require 70-85% of the population to make it to every single game. I looked up Goderich Junior hockey and from what I gathered, they average about 133 people per game. Could be viewed as unrelated but that was the only precedent I could find.

It could also be argued that by trying to lump in a town of 7,000 people into a Tier 1 league that is just getting off the ground could de-legitimize the CPL. It has already been said that the target is cities with at least 200,000 population.

You could argue that this is for the future. Between 2011 and 2016 Goderich had a population growth of 2.9%. In that case I am fully supportive of Goderich joining in 2131

Edited by deschamp86
De-legitimize, not legitimize