Janine Beckie Signs with Manchester City

Patrick

I was impressed with her.  It also looked like she impressed the studio panel, as well.  I thought I saw a slight look of wonder on the faces of Caldwell and Wileman after she hit the mark with her comments.  She's thoughtful, articulate, understands the game at a high level, and isn't fazed by the camera.  I would say that some past players doing analysis were hampered by shyness in front of the camera.

I think DeGuzman has improved though in his confidence. He's not all the way there yet, but he isn't the train wreck he was when he first started.

I don't want to take away from Beckie, because she seems to be doing well (I haven't caught a lot of the Euros though) but I wonder if confidence is easier to muster up if you are doing it remotely from home rather than in studio. I'm pretty certain I would fair better on TV if I was taking a call from my house and didn't have a camera crew around me. She can probably do it in studio too though, just her situation got me thinking about that factor.

She is quite comfortable on camera even though it is remote. But not a surprise as her degree is in media. So she was recommended by Canada Soccer when TSN came calling.

But content wise, she has been mostly been plain vanilla. So, not much different than a lot of analysts who talk a lot but most of it is recapping plays and stating the obvious. Her most insightful thoughts that I have heard were the ones she attributed to Herdman.

Edited by red card

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...
On 4/6/2022 at 9:06 AM, Sinc_Tanc_Olympic_Action said:

I am behind in watching NWSL, but how is Beckie compared to other forwards in Portland?  What are the chances that she will start and have some team actions with Sinc?

Probably a lot better than her chances of playing in Man City.  She only played one full match and had 200 game minutes total in 14 matches for them in 2022. I'm glad she moved to Portland.  Her coach is Rhiann Wilkinson, and Karina LeBlanc is the GM. They know her well.

On 4/11/2022 at 12:06 PM, Trois Reds said:

Probably a lot better than her chances of playing in Man City.  She only played one full match and had 200 game minutes total in 14 matches for them in 2022. I'm glad she moved to Portland.  Her coach is Rhiann Wilkinson, and Karina LeBlanc is the GM. They know her well.

That's true.  Thanks for your response.