Things that CPL can and should learn from The A- League ??⚽️

5 hours ago, ted said:

This is interesting in that it goes against the experience in the Victoria Market as I remember it.

I don't disagree with trying to avoid competing with hockey for TV time but locally Saturday evening fixtures always seemed to be the best chance of good attendances. Making the game part of a great night out (especially when games were downtown at RAP) seemed to attract casuals needed to fill the seats.

But that is probably a local thing based on an "outdoor" culture. Saturday afternoons in the summer is when people hike, kayak, bicycle, whatever. Saturday evening they want to be entertained. Other markets (in different times zones possibly with NHL teams) will likely have different results.

Totally agree. Always found that the energy in the building is better in Vancouver for night matches.

Between commuting and the match itself, afternoon games seem to take up the majority of the day. Whereas for evening matches, you have enough time to do something else in the morning. 

8 hours ago, Keegan said:

I’m sorry I didn’t realize Arzani moved from City to City.. does that even really count?  He’ll never play for man city and he’ll be loaned out - Davies is nearly two years younger and will be actually playing for a bigger club. 

You brought up this whole club argument and I think we’ve sufficiently shown that your “wet dream” comment was hyperbole to the extreme.  You can’t say that Australians are playing at “big” clubs when we also have players at equal or better clubs and then put down Burnley when if an Aussie played there it would be one of their bigger clubs.  Do you see what I’m saying? We can and will catch Australia because there’s no reason we shouldn’t.  We have had two players developed in Canada transfer to Barcelona and Bayern in the past year and we’re adding 7 pro clubs next year. 

We can agree to disagree on that.  I have a ton of time for Australia.

Anyway, surpised you LOLed to my comment that I'd be thrilled if Davies and Tabla turned out to be a successful as Kewell and Viduka. Those guys were quality among the best in their time, and would be in our top 2-4 players of all time. One of our guys is at a B team and the other yet to arrive. Your expectations are unreal.

Even before our exchange I already said it's possible we catch Australia. Then you jumped in naming our five best players and saying we're equal man for man. The stats don't lie, individual and team. Your rah rah homerism is commendable but needed a reality check (you can check the stats for Spain, France, etc if you really want to see more). And you forget that Australia went through Honduras to qualify for this World Cup!

I digress, we agree that Canada can start producing more talent and catch up if not surpsss Australia. I hope it happens.

Yes, Australia went through Honduras - of course they are better than Honduras.  My view is that in a CONCACAF sense there are multiple tiers:

1. Mexico, USA 2. Costa Rica (and hypothetically Australia) 3. Honduras, Panama, Jamaica, Canada 

I'm not saying we are man to man or anything of sort.  I just don't think we are far off and I think it's commendable what Australia did away in Honduras - I think we should look to them as an example and set a goal of achieving their level in the short to mid-term but long-term of course I want our goal to be higher, otherwise why even bother?  Nothing against Australia but I think we're going to start rolling out some truly top end talent in the next 10-15 years - recently who has Australia had?  The days of Cahill, Viduka, Kewell are gone.. but of course I agree, if we could achieve that generation we would be laughing. 

Until Canada's youth soccer clubs become true clubs with senior teams for the kids to strive for, we'll always competing at a handicap against a country like Australia. In Victoria, alone, there are 7 divisions with about 200 clubs, each fielding a Senior and Reserve team every week, most with a number of junior teams. That's a lot of opportunity for developing players. My club competes in State 3 in Victoria, the 6th tier of Australian football. We don't pay players, but we are one of only 2-3 teams each season at that level that aren't paying some or all of their first-team players. Most all senior coaches are getting paid, as well.

This is replicated, to varying degrees, in all Australian states. When we're trying to compete against that with a shallow network of recreational youth clubs for kids up to the age of 18, followed by the glorified pub leagues that are the VMSL, FVSL, etc, we're always fighting a losing battle.

Archived