jpg75

The Importance of Alphonso Davies

8 hours ago, Obinna said:

An old friend of mine, who was also a refugee from Liberia (and also a good soccer player in his day) went by the last name Murphy, so you could very well be right.

On the other hand, a quick scan of the Liberian national team roster shows surnames such as Johnson, Sherman and Williams. Liberia began as a settlement of the American Colinization Society, so such names may just be a relic from that era.

Aird25's comment was obviously pulled out of his ass. Slaves with (unfortunately) previous owners' names settled Liberia FFS. Capital is MONROvia after president Monroe.

16 hours ago, Ed_S said:

Aird25's comment was obviously pulled out of his ass. Slaves with (unfortunately) previous owners' names settled Liberia FFS. Capital is MONROvia after president Monroe.

Deleted. 

Edited by Aird25

17 hours ago, Aird25 said:

This is getting a bit silly but at the moment they broke the press he’s clearly covering the other outlet man imo. Pavard looks like he's lost his man.

9CB73497-5F7E-40AB-86C4-66A686BAEEB4.png

The internet attracts these types of arguments because you'd be talking to yourself at a pub.

15 hours ago, Aird25 said:

I suppose I should have pieced it together that the name descended from the 5 % of the population that are of Americo-Liberian heritage, but for some reason that didn't click. Forgive me, but my mind sought alternative reasons for having a name that clearly isn't indigenous to the region. Regardless, I just asked a question FFS. Those are usually pulled out of ones ass.

I still think it's a bit unreasonable to complain about the English pronunciation of a German based, Ghanian born Liberian-Canadian with a surname that originated in England and Wales during a time of significant Hebrew influence, but in this particular instance is a result of former American slaves settling an area that's also home to 20+ indigenous groups. 

Aird man, next time do exhaustive genealogical research before you post these tossed-off comments on a very serious soccer message board.

14 minutes ago, BFBF said:

More on topic, what are the chances they bump phonsie forward with Coman injured? 

Doubtful with there defense being so bad and they still have peresic. Mueller or Coutinho could play the wing. I think we just have to accept he's a left back. 

35 minutes ago, Yoginess said:

How did he play today? I hate that games aren’t available for replay on cable or DAZN

It's like they go out of their way to keep Davies from us. I notice that Bayern always get stuck on SN Now or World or whatever it is (I hate sportsnet) and all the other clubs we Canadian fans don't care about get on the regular channels. 

I didn't watch this one myself, but GOAL gave him an 8.2 today - 5th highest on the team and 4th highest from the starters. Courtinho had a 10.0, Lewandowski 9.7, Thiago and Muller (who came off the bench) had 9.3

Edited by Obinna

55 minutes ago, Yoginess said:

How did he play today? I hate that games aren’t available for replay on cable or DAZN

Very well, see my comments above in Canucks abroad today.

Here in Argentina, there are many Bundesliga matches on basic cable, so I have been able to watch this match and other Bayern matches this season.

Alaba leaves Bayern exit door open and praises "brave" Davies

Bayern Munich’s long-serving left-back David Alaba’s future at the Bundesliga champions appears to be up in the air after he suggested he could see himself leaving the club in the future.

The 27-year-old Austria international has a contract at the Allianz Arena until the summer of 2021, and has been a first-team fixture under both Niko Kovac and Hansi Flick so far this season.

With Canadian youngster Alphonso Davies impressing at left-back and defensive pair Niklas Sule and Lucas Hernandez injured, Alaba has filled in impressively at centre-back – but their eventual return from injury leaves some doubts around his long-term future in Bavaria.

“I’m not worried about that at all,” Alaba told Sport1. “At the moment, we have world-class defenders in our team who are injured.

“I know my job right now and I’m trying to help the team. Whether or not I will stay in this position, we’ll find out.”

Asked whether he would be seeking a contract extension or looking to move on, he said: “I can imagine both: staying here or taking a different route.

“At the moment, however, we have goals here and I want to achieve them with Bayern Munich."

For the time being, Alaba is proving a valuable mentor for the 19-year-old Davies. After making four substitute appearances in the first eight Bundesliga games of the season, the Canadian has played 90 minutes in each of Bayern’s last seven league matches.

David Alaba Alphonso Davies Bayern Munich 2019

Alaba became Bayern’s youngest-ever player when he made his debut as a 17-year-old in 2010, so he knows the challenges Davies has faced.

He, like most of the rest of the Bundesliga, has been hugely impressed with the way the youngster has adapted to his top-flight surroundings.

“I was thrown in at the deep end very early, maybe even younger,” Alaba added.

“It is nice to see him swimming freely! He is doing really, really well.

“He is a boy who wants to develop, who listens and can be guided in training sessions. It’s nice to see him doing well.

“He is a player who is very brave, and he improvises well. You need that at the top level these days and he really does it very well.”

Whoscored for the Guardian picks Davies in best eleven young players of 2019. Davies is highest rated by whoscored in the eleven. Tomori also picked.

Left-back: Alphonso Davies, Bayern Munich
When Alphonso Davies joined Bayern Munich from MLS club Vancouver Whitecaps in January, he was seen as one for the future. But the Canadian teenager has performed brilliantly this season – and has done so as a makeshift full-back. The 19-year-old joined Bayern as an enterprising and exciting winger – earmarked as a future successor to Franck Ribéry and Arjen Robben – but injuries to defenders have given him a chance at left-back and he has taken it with both hands. He is still dazzling with the ball at his feet – he has made more dribbles per 90 minutes than any other player in the Bundesliga – and he also ranks third for tackles – a remarkable feat given he plays in a team that boasts almost 63% possession. Rating: 7.38

https://www.theguardian.com/football/who-scored-blog/2019/dec/18/footballers-enjoying-breakthrough-season?CMP=share_btn_tw

20 minutes ago, red card said:

Whoscored for the Guardian picks Davies in best eleven young players of 2019. Davies is highest rated by whoscored in the eleven. Tomori also picked.

Happy for Tomori but breaks my heart thinking about what he could have contributed for this programs future.  Imagine have Davies & Tomori as two Canadians in the best XI young players of 2019.  Both as defenders at that.

40 minutes ago, Zem said:

It's kinda terrifying that he's starting to do the same kind of silly stuff he did in MLS to players in the Bundesliga. Like, keep going, but holy sh*t dude

I was just about to say.. he’s making those Bundesliga defenders look like MLS defenders. Just when we already KNEW that he was the real deal, he comes to prove to everyone that he’s even better then that. Mind blowing

Edited by N1ckbr0wn