Jump to content

The Importance of Alphonso Davies


Recommended Posts

Deleted.

 

We can't be doing this.

Link to articles to support the authors.

If they are behind a paywall, well you can't repost them here.

----------------------------

Sorry but the new Internet reality is we can't do this stuff anymore, and we should be supporting media that writes about soccer in this country.

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wow guys, this one was special. I was in the building for this one and got to see Davies up close in a big match.    he didn’t offer a ton offensively in this one and was absolutely GASSED by t

Alaba leaves Bayern exit door open and praises "brave" Davies Bayern Munich’s long-serving left-back David Alaba’s future at the Bundesliga champions appears to be up in the air after he suggeste

Posted Images

24 minutes ago, spitfire said:

Thx for posting this. Didnt really want to pay for a subscription to the Atlantic... 

How about a subscription to the Athletic? ?

For real though, we shouldn't be posting entire articles on the board. People here like to bitch about the lack of attention given to Canadian soccer by the media and some will post full articles that subvert the system that allows readers to be counted and monetized so such coverage could continue/grow.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Yoginess said:

I will say, there are much much MUCH worse things you could pay a subscription to. It's a great service and is a good outlet for quality written articles. 

I subscribe to The Athletic and the quality of the writing is excellent.  Well worth the price of a couple of large coffees a month.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, jpg75 said:

Can someone summarize the interview?

Tough to do, as it was very detailed. He said he struggled early on in training, as defenders closed down much faster than in MLS, but that he feels he's improved since then. Cited the language factor as a stumbling block in integrating, and said he hasn't found a veteran he's connected with, unlike his experience last year with Kamara.  Also recall that it was his choice to play with the reserves.  His goal this year is to score a goal.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Snowcrash said:

I think Bayern still has hopes of salvaging some value for Sanchez.  After all, they paid way more for him than for Davies.

Fairly irrelevant to compare the two as they are completely different positions.  Sanches is a work horse in the middle of the park and helps defensively.  As much as I would have liked to see Davies come in and get some minutes while they had a 3 goal lead, I completely understand the need to win games is much more valuable in the title race.

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Corazon said:

Fairly irrelevant to compare the two as they are completely different positions.  Sanches is a work horse in the middle of the park and helps defensively.  As much as I would have liked to see Davies come in and get some minutes while they had a 3 goal lead, I completely understand the need to win games is much more valuable in the title race.

Plus look at the quality of the 3 subs they made. It will be tough for Davies to get minutes this season but training with and being on the bench with the first team is going to help him next season. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Kadenge said:

Plus look at the quality of the 3 subs they made. It will be tough for Davies to get minutes this season but training with and being on the bench with the first team is going to help him next season. 

Yes, we have to be patient and remember that Ribery & Robben are moving on after this season.  He will get his opportunities.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Corazon said:

Fairly irrelevant to compare the two as they are completely different positions.  Sanches is a work horse in the middle of the park and helps defensively.  As much as I would have liked to see Davies come in and get some minutes while they had a 3 goal lead, I completely understand the need to win games is much more valuable in the title race.

Sanchez is a box-t-box mid and when I watched him in the Euro final with Portugal, he looked destined for stardom and everyone thought Bayern got a bargan at $40M Euros for this guy.  Three and a half years from Euro, Sanchez still hasn't established himself and is already making noises about lack of playing time.  Even for Bayern, it's be tough to swallow a $25M or $30M Euro haircut on this guy when he finally gets sold back to Sporting or Benefica so they're trying to give him minutes when they can.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Snowcrash said:

Sanchez is a box-t-box mid and when I watched him in the Euro final with Portugal, he looked destined for stardom and everyone thought Bayern got a bargan at $40M Euros for this guy.  Three and a half years from Euro, Sanchez still hasn't established himself and is already making noises about lack of playing time.  Even for Bayern, it's be tough to swallow a $25M or $30M Euro haircut on this guy when he finally gets sold back to Sporting or Benefica so they're trying to give him minutes when they can.

hate to nit pick, but its been two and a half years

Link to post
Share on other sites

For all the talk early on of Bayern's downfall they could actually still get the treble this year. Will be super interesting what they do in April. They have cup quarterfinal game on the 3rd against a second division side, then Dortmund on the 6th which could decide the league, and possibly Champions league quarterfinal on the 9th.

Even if Davies doesn't get into any games I imagine that the atmosphere, training, and experience would be unbelievable.

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Yoginess said:

3rd sub used on bringing Sanches on. Guess they don't have any ambition to stay in the CL with leaving Davies on the bench ;)
 

Holy shit that was dumb!   10 minutes left and you need 2 goals, so you sub on a DM/CM in place of an AM!   

Can't really say anyone from Bayern looked good tonight.  Ribery did nothing. They couldn't get the ball to Lewandowski.  Goretzka was invisible after coming in.  Very little creativity or offense from any of the Germans.  

Kovac looked out of his depth.  I imagine he will once again be feeling a lot of pressure after that performance.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...