Jump to content

The Importance of Alphonso Davies


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wow guys, this one was special. I was in the building for this one and got to see Davies up close in a big match.    he didn’t offer a ton offensively in this one and was absolutely GASSED by t

Phonzie still doing Phonzie things after being injured.. David finding form in Ligue 1/Europe.. Eustaquio emerging as a top CM in Portugal.. Millar tearing apart PL2 and looking at a Championship loan

Posted Images

I think people on here expected him to walk into this team.  I think he will be an integral part of this team's future, but maybe this chat group needed a quick dose of the reality.  Reality that is Davies is now playing for one of the biggest and best clubs in the world, regardless of the underwhelming performances this year.

Hopefully, we get the opportunity to see more of him in the remainder of games this season.

Edited by Corazon
Link to post
Share on other sites

Davies is still a teen, so expecting him to play every match is a far stretch. Even some of the world's biggest stars were not starters at 18. Maybe if 2-3 years later he stagnates or drops in form then we can worry. And unlike the clueless Americans, I enjoy Canadian media for not overhyping him and labelling him a "saviour of Canadian soccer."

One thing we CAN agree: Davies > Pulisic or any overrated Yank forever. Fight me on this.

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, PhillyJawn-guy said:

Davies is still a teen, so expecting him to play every match is a far stretch. Even some of the world's biggest stars were not starters at 18. Maybe if 2-3 years later he stagnates or drops in form then we can worry. And unlike the clueless Americans, I enjoy Canadian media for not overhyping him and labelling him a "saviour of Canadian soccer."

One thing we CAN agree: Davies > Pulisic or any overrated Yank forever. Fight me on this.

Since we often talk about comparable Concacaf players here, for age or projection, Diego Lainez, the 18 year old Mexican, has played a few games for Betis now and scored in Euroleague this week. He is more an attacking mid, but is very mature, confident, understands the game, needs to improve his physicality but, IMO, is in there amongst Davies, Millar, and, why not, Pulisic, as the most promising players from our confederation.  

As we stand, by the way, Pulisic is the real thing and Davies is still waiting to happen, I don't know why this should bother anyone but it's the plain fact.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Kovac: “Alphonso’s a really big talent from North America, who’s taking his first steps. He needs to be integrated into German culture, learn the language, and I have to help him become familiar with the playing system and the intensity. But he’s a player who sooner or later will become a very important part of this club and with his abilities I’m confident he’ll do it very quickly.”
https://www.bundesliga.com/en/bundesliga/news/niko-kovac-on-lewandowski-alphonso-davies-and-bayern-catching-dortmund-3349-2384

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Since we often talk about comparable Concacaf players here, for age or projection, Diego Lainez, the 18 year old Mexican, has played a few games for Betis now and scored in Euroleague this week. He is more an attacking mid, but is very mature, confident, understands the game, needs to improve his physicality but, IMO, is in there amongst Davies, Millar, and, why not, Pulisic, as the most promising players from our confederation.  

As we stand, by the way, Pulisic is the real thing and Davies is still waiting to happen, I don't know why this should bother anyone but it's the plain fact.

JESUS CHRIST DOES ANYONE REALLY SEEM THAT BOTHERED BY THIS? EVERYONE HERE IS RATIONAL. LOOK, DAVIES MAY OR MAY NOT BE THE SECOND COMING...WHO KNOWS...I THINK IT'S A 99% CHANCE. BUT EVERYONE HERE IS TOTALLY RELAXED. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

So Ribery's not with the team because of the birth of his child, Muller is suspended, Coman has a knock, and Robben is still injured... could we be seeing a few minutes of Davies against Liverpool? I'd think not, because of the level of implication he ha had so far, but the wings are thin right now so it remains a possibility.

Edit: Correction, Ribery has now joined the team.

Edited by Shakmur
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

Who was the last Canadian (ahem, Canadian International) that made an appearance in the last 16 of the Champion's League?

Could Phonzie be trailblazin' again if he makes an appearance in the second leg, or is there someone obvious I'm missing?

Atiba last year. Besiktas lost 8-1 on aggregate to Bayern.

I think the only other one to make it to the last 16 is Stalteri 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Bayern's fleet of wingers shows how hard Davies is going to have to work to consistently get on the field.  Some may not like him, but Gnabry is solid at this level, and the other guy was pretty decent (Coman...?).  Then they have the two vets ready to do the job when healthy.  That is not an easy side to break into.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Strait Red said:

Atiba last year. Besiktas lost 8-1 on aggregate to Bayern.

I think the only other one to make it to the last 16 is Stalteri 

Tomasz Radzinski played in the last sixteen for Anderlecht, but back then, the last sixteen was played as a second group stage rather than as a straight knockout round.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Yoginess said:

I don't expect Davies to be handed anything but it sure would be nice to have him get a solid 30 min run out in a league game against a lesser opponent. Doesn't have to a be a CL game, or a game against BD... just get more than 3 minutes.

His best bet is probably the second division side they play in the DFB cup at the start of April 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...