The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

32 minutes ago, VinceA said:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/57266045

Will be competing with Davies at LB.

Will be an interesting looking defence. 

Alaba and Boateng gone.  

Upamecano coming in.   Nianzou maybe healthy.  Sule remaining pretty slow in my book (which can be mitigated somewhat by the next paragraph.) Loanees returning - no idea if they will have any impact.

The new coach played 3 at the back a lot (though not exclusively). Hernandez seems perfect for the left-sided centre back in that.   3 at the back and wing backs really does raise questions about people like Sane, Coman and Gnabry, though. 

Fun to watch. 

7 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Will be an interesting looking defence. 

Alaba and Boateng gone.  

Upamecano coming in.   Nianzou maybe healthy.  Sule remaining pretty slow in my book (which can be mitigated somewhat by the next paragraph.) Loanees returning - no idea if they will have any impact.

The new coach played 3 at the back a lot (though not exclusively). Hernandez seems perfect for the left-sided centre back in that.   3 at the back and wing backs really does raise questions about people like Sane, Coman and Gnabry, though. 

Fun to watch. 

Sule isn't slow,he just appears to move slower due to his fridge like body but he was clocked at impressive speeds this year. 

They could play a 3-4-3 to accomodate the wingers. 

14 hours ago, Mikmacdo said:

Sule isn't slow,he just appears to move slower due to his fridge like body but he was clocked at impressive speeds this year. 

If thats the case, it'll get harder and harder for CANMNT to avoid the 3-4-3 or 3-5-2 formation with Davies and Laryea.  Its such a natural fit.

14 hours ago, Mikmacdo said:

In my opinion, Sule can run in a straight line pretty fast but from what I have seen he reacts slowly to developing situations still and is slower off the mark because of basic physics.

The thing about 343 is that you rarely see the attacking three as real wingers.  You have the centre forward but the other two are often not speedster wide players but more cultured - think Hazzard and Willian in Conte's Chelsea.  Ageless Muller is almost closer.  You don't need the width in theory because of the wing backs and if your forwards run wide you have a lack of bodies to cross/pass to inside because your two midfielders (which is all you really have) need to stay back a little. 

Those midfielders have to be really fast and/or physical (Matic and Kante in Chelsea's case) or a 343 opens up the centre of the park to all comers.  Kimmich gets around but I don't thing you would consider him a destroyer and less so Goretzka etc. 

Also if you look Nagelsmann's Liepzig - I can only say from their Champions League games and against Bayern - but he rarely uses real attacking wingers again .  A lot of midfielders spend some time wide but usually has three who set up in the centre of the park. 

And I said interesting to see where he goes with this team. 

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

Will we see this again in Haiti on Saturday? 

(I just wanted to bump his thread to the first page ;))

Who knows but if Canada was smart, they should because you go with what formations work and it worked against Suriname 

No lengthy discussion about this yet, but I think it's worth mentioning: Haiti completely shut Davies down in the first leg. Part of it was the unpredictable pitch, but he wasn't winning any of his 1on1's, and it was difficult to watch. They just pinned 3 guys to him at all times, and there wasn't much he could do. I think we need a better response when a team fully commits to stopping Davies.

2 minutes ago, PiedPilko said:

No lengthy discussion about this yet, but I think it's worth mentioning: Haiti completely shut Davies down in the first leg. Part of it was the unpredictable pitch, but he wasn't winning any of his 1on1's, and it was difficult to watch. They just pinned 3 guys to him at all times, and there wasn't much he could do. I think we need a better response when a team fully commits to stopping Davies.

Good point. 

Going to be interesting to see how we adapt on Tuesday 

6 minutes ago, PiedPilko said:

Response?  Phonsie, just stick to the quick passing and pick your spots to take guys on.  You're doing  too much work on the ball.  

1 hour ago, PiedPilko said:

And in doing so left their right flank exposed, where all our best chances, and goal, came from. On a better pitch guarantee Davies gets away more frequently, but i agree, we need to find a way to solve Davies getting tripled team on these sort of choppy games

1 hour ago, Kadenge said:

watching the Euros on those beautiful fields vs the Haiti pitch brought a tear to my eyes. 

And a wonderful one this PM between Holland and Ukraine, if movement, flow and trickery in soccer holds an appeal to your eye.

Better days if we win through.  And credit where credit is due, BMO is a proper playing field for the last stage of World Cup Qualifying.  Saputo too! 

BC Place?  Not so much.

Having watched Davies in the Suriname and first Haiti game, I have noticed a trend in his game that seems to be a universal characteristic amongst many 20 year olds who like to dribble and are good at it: they start focusing more on seeing how far they can take their dribbling instead of making the smart pass.  "I beat two guys last time, now let's see if I can beat three.". Passing starts to be ignored as they attempt to dribble by one more guy.  The side benefit of being a great dribbler is that you suck in defenders which leaves your teammates open.

He has had some great runs, but I'd like to see him pass a bit more.

On 6/14/2021 at 10:14 AM, AvroArrow said:

Having watched Davies in the Suriname and first Haiti game, I have noticed a trend in his game that seems to be a universal characteristic amongst many 20 year olds who like to dribble and are good at it: they start focusing more on seeing how far they can take their dribbling instead of making the smart pass.  "I beat two guys last time, now let's see if I can beat three.". Passing starts to be ignored as they attempt to dribble by one more guy.  The side benefit of being a great dribbler is that you suck in defenders which leaves your teammates open.

He has had some great runs, but I'd like to see him pass a bit more.

He doesn't play like that at all with Bayern, and I don't think he should in the next round if he's playing as a LB or LWB. The US punished us when Davies tried that against them, and so has Haiti and other teams at times. If we want him to be responsible for generating that much offense through the dribble then we need Adekugbe behind him, but I still think Davies is more valuable for us coming from a deeper position. He just needs to be more selective about it. That being said, Adekugbe has really impressed me recently, and I think he compliments Davies well in a more advanced position