Jump to content

The Importance of Alphonso Davies


Recommended Posts

Found this in an article in the Athletic from early March about Bayern signing Omar Richards and it really is impressive. Davies is having a different season, not a worse one than last year and I think this even more impressive than if he had similar stats to last year as he's been able to seamlessly adjust to a more defensive/safe role without a drop in performance.

 

Screen Shot 2021-04-13 at 2.17.03 PM.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wow guys, this one was special. I was in the building for this one and got to see Davies up close in a big match.    he didn’t offer a ton offensively in this one and was absolutely GASSED by t

Phonzie still doing Phonzie things after being injured.. David finding form in Ligue 1/Europe.. Eustaquio emerging as a top CM in Portugal.. Millar tearing apart PL2 and looking at a Championship loan

Kudos to Hansi Flick for taking Davies off just as David was about to start for Lille so we could all switch streams. Now there's a coach who truly understands the needs of Canadian soccer fans.

Posted Images

1 hour ago, sebdeserio said:

Found this in an article in the Athletic from early March about Bayern signing Omar Richards and it really is impressive. Davies is having a different season, not a worse one than last year and I think this even more impressive than if he had similar stats to last year as he's been able to seamlessly adjust to a more defensive/safe role without a drop in performance.

 

Screen Shot 2021-04-13 at 2.17.03 PM.png

The progressive passing rating Is interesting - corresponds with my impression that he usually passes laterally or back.

Edited by lowlander
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, johnyb said:

Davies in the starting lineup for the 2nd leg of the Champions league QF. 

Bayern really missing Lewandoski, Gnabry and Goretzka. Watching this game I still wonder how PSG lost to Lille.

At 40 minutes BM have just scored, whereas PSG have had the best chances. Davies playing ok but he has lost control a few times and is being challenged by some shifty moves from PSG, particularly Di Maria.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, lowlander said:

Bayern really missing Lewandoski, Gnabry and Goretzka. Watching this game I still wonder how PSG lost to Lille.

At 40 minutes BM have just scored, whereas PSG have had the best chances. Davies playing ok but he has lost control a few times and is being challenged by some shifty moves from PSG, particularly Di Maria.

 

I will open with the sentiment that I am a huge Davies fan.  I am rooting for him 100%.  
 

But I have previously questioned some of his defensive capabilities and I think he is getting beaten in this game.  Mind you, it is arguably against the best attacking lineup of any current club team in the world right now - but the fact remains that they are getting past him with a fair degree of regularity.  Bayern may be leading this game but they are lucky to not be down by a couple of goals - and two golden chances came from Neymar being wide open on the left side.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Not a great game but it happens. It's not like he directly cost them tonight, though he easily could have if Neymar finished that breakaway.

I do think Di Maria exposes his weaknesses defensively. Phonzie can't be beaten for pace but he can for guile as Di Maria repeatedly did today and as he did a few times in the Lisbon final. Something to keep an eye on

Edit: to add, he wasn't the only BM player that got outplayed by Di Maria and Neymar so not a great game from him but not awful either

Edited by DavemTFC
Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t know how many times I need to watch him for Bayern, or the Canada. 
 

He is not a fullback. Hasn’t played it his whole career until Bayern, and it shows. At best, he’s a wingback. He’s not a very good defender. He just relies on his speed. 
 

Doesn’t pick up his man well in the box, and  the angles he takes to defend are weird. And that completely understandable, with how long he’s learned this position. 
 

But, he’s not being fully utilized. He has so much to bring to an attack, but doesn’t get to on that team. He needs to be freed. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Bayern has a defender who is tenacious, fast, and cuts off the opposing attack with skill, then is able to get forward when he has to. Unfortunately, it's not Davies, and definitely not tonight. Its Lucas Hernández, who was impressive.

Davies his usual conformist self, getting tired of this version Bayern seem to be happy with. 

We also found out this evening that Alphonso is not the best player in Concacaf, however much folks like to repeat that idea.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Bayern has a defender who is tenacious, fast, and cuts off the opposing attack with skill, then is able to get forward when he has to. Unfortunately, it's not Davies, and definitely not tonight. Its Lucas Hernández, who was impressive.

Davies his usual conformist self, getting tired of this version Bayern seem to be happy with. 

We also found out this evening that Alphonso is not the best player in Concacaf, however much folks like to repeat that idea.

Hernandez is a better CB than LB for Bayern... he doesn’t have the pace to play in that position in the style Bayern wants to play.  He wasn’t great last week at LB before Davies came on either... created nothing going forward and didn’t have the pace to deal with PSG counter attack.  I do think he had an excellent game at CB today though.

Edited by TOcanadafan
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Bayern has a defender who is tenacious, fast, and cuts off the opposing attack with skill, then is able to get forward when he has to. Unfortunately, it's not Davies, and definitely not tonight. Its Lucas Hernández, who was impressive.

Davies his usual conformist self, getting tired of this version Bayern seem to be happy with. 

We also found out this evening that Alphonso is not the best player in Concacaf, however much folks like to repeat that idea.

We’ll have to see how David performs with he rest of the season before making that determination. One bad game doesn’t mean he has surpassed Alphonso suddenly. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Tough outing for sure.  Also wasn’t getting decent efforts through offensively was he.  But it was a tough ask without the three missing stars.  
 

good for Neymar.  He can play well under right conditions.   

Link to post
Share on other sites

Crazy that a team like Bayern doesn't have a bit more depth. I realize that this is how Davies got a shot, but still. Really the only option that had on the bench that was offensive was Musiala. Kind of annoyed on how some people have turned on Davies. He is still our best player and the best player in our region.

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

Crazy that a team like Bayern doesn't have a bit more depth. I realize that this is how Davies got a shot, but still. Really the only option that had on the bench that was offensive was Musiala. Kind of annoyed on how some people have turned on Davies. He is still our best player and the best player in our region.

To be clear, I haven’t “turned” on Davies.  But I do resist some of the suggestions that he is one of best LB’s in the world.  The reality is that his pace often saves him when he gets beaten, and against top class opponents that can happen a fair bit.  The reason he gets the accolades he does is for his attacking abilities from that position - but LB is ultimately a defensive position and I think there are aspects of his defensive game that need to improve if he wants to maintain a lock on the LB position at Bayern.  
 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...