The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

Bayern should have no excuse to hold him back now, I wouldn't be surprised if they try to, if they were wise they would have no problem with his release, these things can work both ways, there could be a time where Bayern are obligated to release him and we can afford not to call him!

1 hour ago, gator said:

Bayern should have no excuse to hold him back now, I wouldn't be surprised if they try to, if they were wise they would have no problem with his release, these things can work both ways, there could be a time where Bayern are obligated to release him and we can afford not to call him!

I can see them saying internally that releasing him now is essentially rewarding him for getting a red, which wouldn’t be a great message to the rest of the team. 

14 minutes ago, trc2014 said:

I can see them saying internally that releasing him now is essentially rewarding him for getting a red, which wouldn’t be a great message to the rest of the team. 

I briefly thought the same thing, but I doubt that would materialize.  He isn’t the type of player to commit a dangerous foul just to get his own way.  I suspect Bayern run a pretty tight ship when it comes to discipline and I doubt they think Phonzie would start some sort of player revolution.  I think they will see it for what it is - an error of judgement.  

The other issue is that it was originally given as a yellow and upgraded to red on VAR. The VAR ref was somewhat overzealous IMO in that I don’t think the yellow was a clear and obvious error but given that Davies got the ball  first I doubt his club is going to view this as a deliberate stomp to make sure he plays for Canada. This is all assuming that he wasn’t going to be released to begin with and knew this anyway. 

• 2 weeks later...

Phonzie was absent from the game yesterday due to his red card, but Bayern took a pretty huge step towards winning the title for a 9th time by beating RB Leipzig 1-0.  That win gave them a 7 point lead.  He will also miss the game against FC Union Berlin on April 10.  

11 minutes ago, ADP10 said:

he isn’t starting... Anyone know why?

Best guess is that Hernandez played well while Davies was suspended in their key win over Red Bull & coach has opted to keep the backline chemistry going.

Course, it does mean Hernandez could be tired for the weekend, when Davies still won't be available.

The reality is that Davies hasn’t been as strong this year as he was last year - and Bayern will always have enough depth to ensure competition.  They may just want to light a bit of a fire under him to make sure that he doesn’t get complacent.   He literally won everything he could in his first year with the club so it is understandable that he might coast a bit.   They will want to ensure that he is hungry and competing.  

Just now, dyslexic nam said:

The reality is that Davies hasn’t been as strong this year as he was last year - and Bayern will always have enough depth to ensure competition.  They may just want to light a bit of a fire under him to make sure that he doesn’t get complacent.   He literally won everything he could in his first year with the club so it is understandable that he might coast a bit.   They will want to ensure that he is hungry and competing.  

I've heard that people think that his form has dropped, but personally I think expectations of him have changed.  No one expected him to come in and do what he did last year.  He was an injury replacement that was only supposed to fill in for a couple games, so expectations were low.

Expectations are higher now and he's not blowing people away because people now know what he can do.  He's not playing much better than he did last year, but I don't think he's playing much worse.

Just my opinion though.