The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

The Spanish commentators felt he has not had a year like last season and he should step up a bit. Probably true. I figure he's not being asked to do more, so plays this safe understated game. Today Süle was even better down the right.

Thing is, Bayern does not really open up the lanes for the fullbacks, their outside attackers like Coman stay out a lot and don't turn in enough to give players like Davies space. So his attacking role is almost always restricted. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

While it was great last year to see Davies' offensive contributions from deep, I think this year is all about Bayern teaching Davies the finer points of being a fullback. That means being responsible in his decision making and the safe play is often the responsible play. 

Bayern though should be careful not to kill the instintual play out of Davies. That and his speed are his footballing gifts.

Today when Davies was pushed upfield late in the game he had space to beat his opponents, but instead cut backwards and recycled the ball. As a fan I want to see Davies beating players, especially when the team us up by a few goals.

Bayern know more than I do what's best for his development though..

Edited by Obinna

9 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Thing is, Bayern does not really open up the lanes for the fullbacks, their outside attackers like Coman stay out a lot and don't turn in enough to give players like Davies space. So his attacking role is almost always restricted. 

Agree with this.  It seems like Coman often chooses to pass into the middle precisely when Davies is trying to make an overlapping run.  It reduces Davies’ role to stretching the defence a lot of the time when he bombshell forward.   

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

The Spanish commentators felt he has not had a year like last season and he should step up a bit. Probably true. I figure he's not being asked to do more, so plays this safe understated game. Today Süle was even better down the right.

I haven't seen this match but I would hazard a guess that the opposition is also setting up defensively in such a manner as to try to nullify Davies' attacking on the overlap strengths, providing some more subtle postional coverage support.  They've seen the video from last year up to now, so they game plan for all factors which different opponents pose.

Hernandez might get more playing time at CB as it looked like Boateng will be out for a while (although when Pavard comes back then Sule presumably moves back into the middle).

Bayern leak a lot of goals though and I find that Davies is the member of the back four who seems less culpable on them than the other three defenders tend to be. Not that he hasn't been culpable on any, just not as many as the others are.

57 minutes ago, TOcanadafan said:

I can’t believe how quick and well-controlled Süle is with the ball for someone shaped like a bowling pen... every time I saw him meander up the field I thought of...

image.gif.ffd81d524db9c313d87fb694e59d061d.gif

Sule was getting ripped in the press earlier in the season for his weight and he said something like "I'm not a lard ass." which probably got mangled by Google translate.  I thought he was going to be torched playing on the right defense but it's looking like Pavard might not be able to win a starting spot when he comes back from injury.

2 hours ago, TOcanadafan said:

I can’t believe how quick and well-controlled Süle is with the ball for someone shaped like a bowling pen... every time I saw him meander up the field I thought of...

He looks like the kid who made the local rep team and his only talent is his ability to boot the ball further then anyone else.  Then you see his silky moves and deceptive speed, he has certainly impressed. 

7 hours ago, Snowcrash said:

Sule was getting ripped in the press earlier in the season for his weight and he said something like "I'm not a lard ass." which probably got mangled by Google translate.  I thought he was going to be torched playing on the right defense but it's looking like Pavard might not be able to win a starting spot when he comes back from injury.

Apparently he used to be a forward, he's also the 3rd fastest player on the team lol. I found it pretty amusing to see someone the size of a fridge be that skilled on the ball.

My gridiron team had a chap we called Buda who was this wicked quick running back.  His tooth pick legs would power his goard body along at surprising pace and power, all whilst he provided his own match commentary.  You really had to experience it.  Until the day I die ....

" Buda takes the hand off outside the 'end weak-side trying to excelerat past the outside linebacker BAM and rolls off the hit for additional yards against the contain OHHP!   BAM."

Truely.  I shit you not.  Did his ankle in the end, felt weird not having him around after having gotten used to that.

Any-who, as you were.

Davies was taken off for Sarr in the 84th minute (as part of a 4 man substitution) and since then Bayern have given up multiple chances and a goal.  They still get the win but the penetration Bremen got down the right side after Davies was taken off was interesting.  

Davies once again the fastest guy on the pitch at 34.31 km/hr.