The Importance of Alphonso Davies

46 minutes ago, Snowcrash said:

Happy for Davies.  For me, this is equivalent to Steve Nash being named First Team All Star.

Only individual award that tops this is Ballon d'Or.  The equivalent would be Nash winning the MVP.  Twice. Still doesn't get enough recognition for this accomplishment, in my book.

Up there with Cliff Thorburn and John Part ;)

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wow guys, this one was special. I was in the building for this one and got to see Davies up close in a big match.    he didn’t offer a ton offensively in this one and was absolutely GASSED by t

Phonzie still doing Phonzie things after being injured.. David finding form in Ligue 1/Europe.. Eustaquio emerging as a top CM in Portugal.. Millar tearing apart PL2 and looking at a Championship loan

Kudos to Hansi Flick for taking Davies off just as David was about to start for Lille so we could all switch streams. Now there's a coach who truly understands the needs of Canadian soccer fans.

Posted Images

46 minutes ago, Snowcrash said:

Happy for Davies.  For me, this is equivalent to Steve Nash being named First Team All Star.

Only individual award that tops this is Ballon d'Or.  The equivalent would be Nash winning the MVP.  Twice. Still doesn't get enough recognition for this accomplishment, in my book.

Perhaps, if you live in North America; but just take a look at the nationalities of those 11 players. Soccer  is truly a world sport and this is much bigger than a NBA/NHL/NFL/MLB all star 

4 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

Perhaps, if you live in North America; but just take a look at the nationalities of those 11 players. Soccer  is truly a world sport and this is much bigger than a NBA/NHL/NFL/MLB all star 

Basketball is getting pretty popular and is a world game. Nash winning mvp is bigger than this I'm sorry. Soccer is definitely the biggest sport but don't sell basketball players short. 

8 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

I think that basketball is a world sport as well, I think Nash's accomplishment was deserving and of world-wide importance in sport. 

Baseball or hockey do not even have a fifth of the worldwide importance as basketball.

17 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

How many cities outside of the states would have a basketball team that's the most popular sports team in the city?

If not the most popular, up there. In the ACB, which some argue is the best league after the NBA, Joventut is in Badalona, the team in Fuenlabrada, Obradoiro in Santiago de Compostela, the team in Andorra (far bigger than any soccer club), Burgos, and Manresa (a small city in Catalunya that once won the league). Then Canarias CB is in San Cristóbal de la Laguna in the Canary Islands, though you could argue that is near to Tenerife. Before Alavés rose to prominence in Vitoria, in the Basque Country, Baskonia basketball team was the major sports entity there, and I'd say they are still par (Baskonia is in Euroleague and has a spectacular arena). Right now, as we stand, Murcia basketball is par with the football team.

So to answer your question: a third of the second best league in the world, actually.

Shall we do Italy and France? In those countries the majority of teams in their basketball leagues are bigger and more important than the football clubs.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist
5 hours ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

Wow I honestly did not know basketball was more popular than football in France and Italy! Crazy how popular it is.

The comment asked about cities. And I was answering about cities, as was obvious in the post. The last line was not fully phrased like that though.

Look at either France and Italy, their basketball leagues have a majority of teams in cities where the biggest sports team is not football, it is the basketball team. Of course many, but not all of those cities, are relatively small where the footie team has never thrived. 

Also Germany (Bonn is there), Turkey--many top European basketball leagues have a large or even majority % of clubs in cities where basketball is in fact the biggest pro sport.

On 12/17/2020 at 2:53 PM, ADP10 said:

amazing. Who would have thought 5 years ago a Canadian would be on here. Has an american ever been?

According to this article he is the first North American to receive this honour. That should include Mexico as well, but it isn’t explicitly mentioned.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2020/12/17/alphonso-davies-becomes-first-north-american-named-fifa-best-mens-world-xi

21 minutes ago, Kent said:

According to this article he is the first North American to receive this honour. That should include Mexico as well, but it isn’t explicitly mentioned.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2020/12/17/alphonso-davies-becomes-first-north-american-named-fifa-best-mens-world-xi

Yeah what do they consider North America. I'm almost certain Navas would have made the best 11 at least once winning the champions league 3 times in a row 

11 hours ago, JuicyHam said:

Anyone know where he would rank among the youngest players to make the best 11? Potentially one of the youngest defenders? 

From the MLS article. “Davies also becomes the third-youngest player to be voted onto the FIFPRO World 11, behind French superstar Kylian Mbappe and Dutch defender Matthijs de Ligt.”

43 minutes ago, Kent said:

From the MLS article. “Davies also becomes the third-youngest player to be voted onto the FIFPRO World 11, behind French superstar Kylian Mbappe and Dutch defender Matthijs de Ligt.”

Actually he would have been younger than de Ligt who was named just last year and is a ‘99 but born in August, Davies is a November birthdate.