The Importance of Alphonso Davies

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wow guys, this one was special. I was in the building for this one and got to see Davies up close in a big match.    he didn’t offer a ton offensively in this one and was absolutely GASSED by t

Phonzie still doing Phonzie things after being injured.. David finding form in Ligue 1/Europe.. Eustaquio emerging as a top CM in Portugal.. Millar tearing apart PL2 and looking at a Championship loan

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Obinna said:

"They" being former Canadian international Kevin McKenna, who never even knew, or at least couldn't remember, the of the award. It wasn't until he and his colleague dug up the info during the half time break that they uttered the words "lou marsh".

Classic McKenna damage control at half time.

5 hours ago, Lansdude said:

Union Berlin, this is a less familiar former East Berlin team who are recent Bundesliga arrivals and are eclipsing Hertha.

I found Union a more interesting team to watch than Lille. I also found Phonzie listless, he did not seem at all concerned about helping Bayern win. Don't like to see a player with that "who me?" attitude on the pitch

I still regret not going to see Union in this stadium maybe 11-12 years ago, when I was set to do it, although my train links were so bad I desisted. They were in 2nd back then, or were just about to go up.

Check out what the fans did when they were nearing promotion and needed better facilities-- they put in the work to revamp the stadium, a real collective effort. This story also has their interesting history.

https://www.dw.com/en/soccer-fans-build-stadium-for-east-berlin-cult-club/a-4243189

Edited by Unnamed Trialist
2 hours ago, red card said:

McKenna always sounds like this is his first year working as an analyst. Maybe 10% of what McKenna say is meaningful - rest is cliches and stating the obvious in a very hesitant manner.

But I think he might be mailing it in. He doesn't even do his homework - should have known Davies won. 

And/or maybe the Lou Marsh really isn't that important in his world. 

16 minutes ago, Obinna said:

And/or maybe the Lou Marsh really isn't that important in his world. 

He brought it up in the first half - saying Davies is on the short list of 3 (which was also wrong unless he was referring to speculation). So, if you're going down that path, a tier 1 analyst would have checked for updated info. 

McKenna normally doesn't provide much background info but that is the norm for European football analyst. It's usually the announcer who does it. But there was awkward silence for about 30 secs right after McKenna mentioned it. I thought Phil was telling him that Davies won it but it took them till the second half to provide an update.

McKenna sounds like a typical Cdn football analyst - wordy but pretty light on tactics and pretty dull in tone. I gather it's not his day job but he is the worst of the Bundesliga English world feed analysts. He was a much more incisive player.

Edited by red card
16 minutes ago, red card said:

McKenna sounds like a typical Cdn football analyst - wordy but pretty light on tactics and pretty dull in tone. I gather it's not his day job but he is the worst of the Bundesliga English world feed analysts. He was a much more incisive player.

You must never have heard Patrick Owomoyela commentate a Bundesliga game, he's a good awful commentator. Easily worse McKenna.

1 hour ago, red card said:

He brought it up in the first half - saying Davies is on the short list of 3 (which was also wrong unless he was referring to speculation). So, if you're going down that path, a tier 1 analyst would have checked for updated info. 

McKenna normally doesn't provide much background info but that is the norm for European football analyst. It's usually the announcer who does it. But there was awkward silence for about 30 secs right after McKenna mentioned it. I thought Phil was telling him that Davies won it but it took them till the second half to provide an update.

My main point was that the Lou Marsh award really isn't as important as some people think. Sure he couldn't even remember the name of the award. And probably lives in Germany now a days, and so the name very easily escaped him, I would say, but for such an important award you would think it would be easy enough to recall.

Honestly, if it wasn't for Davies and this website I wouldn't even know about this award, let alone care for it. To each their own I guess, but I just get the impression this award is only relevant to a very small part of sports fandom in Canada, namely those hardcore Canadian sports fan types, who could probably name all the Canadian athletes at the Winter Olympic games. I am not shy in expressing I really do not care for it. From the comments of other posters it seems to typically be awarded to athletes I have problem never even heard of anyways. I definitely resonate with some of the criticisms of it. Anyways, I am still glad Davies won, but only because I am a fan of his and it is yet another award for him, not because I personally fawn over this Lou Marsh award.

By the way, at no point was I trying to defend Mckenna's commentating. I never really had a problem with it, but your criticisms are definitely fair. I could take it or leave it, based on what I heard today.

3 minutes ago, Kent said:

I don’t know anything about what was said. Was it idiots not able to handle the existence of interacial couples?

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/soccer-huitema-davies-racism-canada-soccer-1.5839601

They were disgusting comments. But they were clearly targeted by some racist chat room or something - this wasn’t just random people stumbling upon their photo suddenly. They did this so they could get the reaction they’re getting. 

https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/article/canada-soccer-speaks-davies-huitema-targeted-racists/

On the main page of Spotsnet as well. Good of CSA and Herdman to speak up about it, but if they are going to comment anytime someone makes a racist comment regarding a Canadian online its going to be a full time job.

Why don't they comment on games and the program....

1 hour ago, Stryker911 said:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/article/canada-soccer-speaks-davies-huitema-targeted-racists/

On the main page of Spotsnet as well. Good of CSA and Herdman to speak up about it, but if they are going to comment anytime someone makes a racist comment regarding a Canadian online its going to be a full time job.

Why don't they comment on games and the program....

Because if they don’t say anything, then that’s way way worse especially with respect to two of our most prized assets.

Can we all just do ourselves a giant favor and just shut down social media as it as the moment. It's such hot mess full of garbage and manipulation. Feels a bit like we invented the car but haven't realized yet that it needs a seat belt

Do your thing Phonzie and Jordyn and just pay that nonsense no mind. 

Edited by SpursFlu
38 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Because if they don’t say anything, then that’s way way worse especially with respect to two of our most prized assets.

This goes without saying. But it just magnifies their silence on every other issue of 2020. They can be reactionary to a low hanging obvious issue but can’t take any time to address the year long issue faced by our program. 

These morons making the comments are likely 13 year olds or losers looking for attention. It’s sad, in a way, to even give them a spotlight for an issue any reasonable person knows is wrong. It’s also sad that we can’t get some answers as to the state of our program.

On 12/12/2020 at 5:31 PM, red card said:

I thought the "analysis" at half time of the MLS final on Fox was pretty light on anything except yap.  They didn't examine the plays leading up to the two Columbus goals.  So maybe big Kev isn't cut out for this but that clown Lalas and (I want to say?) Holden had nothing to say in their broadcast, either.  Maybe the post game analysis was better, but I didn't stick around to watch.

**Maybe I am being a bit too harsh in my assessment.  If so, I stand corrected**

As much as Kristian Jack can rub me the wrong way at times with his comments, he usually can break down a play at half time really well.  Shame that Fox still goes with dumbass name guys with limited insight.