Jump to content
jpg75

The Importance of Alphonso Davies

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Actually, to be fair, if a player figures in the squad during the Champions competition, he's a deserved winner. 

Remember Ballack taking a tactical yellow in the WC semis in 2002 and missing the final. It was an exemplary move to save a result (if I recall it correctly). If they'd won that final you'd never say, well he wasn't dressed didn't really count as a winner. 

I had forgotten about Ballack's dilemma.  Doesn't seem like 18 years ago though (!)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/27/2020 at 7:27 PM, Bdog said:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_European_Cup_and_UEFA_Champions_League_winning_players

Just Kirovski but he wasn’t even in the 18 for the final, so no way you can count him.

Thanks for this link! According to it, in addition to the CONCACAF guys who played in and won the final that I mentioned earlier (Dwight Yorke, Rafa Marquez, and Keylor Navas) there is also Jovan Kirovski (USA), Mariano Diaz (Dominican Republic), and Jonathan do Santos (Mexico) who won the Champions League but didn’t play in the final, plus Rafael Marquez won a second Champions League (played in one of the two finals).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, dyslexic nam said:

I had forgotten about Ballack's dilemma.  Doesn't seem like 18 years ago though (!)

That's the kind of play you have to show kids you're training, to understand what team sacrifice is. Because he cut off a clear Korea chance at the edge of the box m 70 when it was a scoreless draw, yellow and misses next match. 

Then scored m 75 to win it 1-0. 

Fifa changed the rule I think in 06 or '10, setting cards back to zero at quarter final round. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

That's the kind of play you have to show kids you're training, to understand what team sacrifice is. Because he cut off a clear Korea chance at the edge of the box m 70 when it was a scoreless draw, yellow and misses next match. 

Then scored m 75 to win it 1-0. 

Fifa changed the rule I think in 06 or '10, setting cards back to zero at quarter final round. 

It was a bit like Suarez with the handball to stop Ghana in 2010, but that one always seemed slimier to me (probably because it was Suarez who was always a bit too bitey for my liking).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

It was a bit like Suarez with the handball to stop Ghana in 2010, but that one always seemed slimier to me (probably because it was Suarez who was always a bit too bitey for my liking).

In 2010, Suarez hadn't ever been banned for biting, neither in club football nor in internationals. The outcry at the time was due to people not liking that he had the audacity to celebrate the subsequent penalty miss and then shootout win. It was all condescending ********, since most of us would have done exactly the same thing, and those who wouldn't are stupid. It sucked for Ghana, but those are the Laws of the Game. They should have been better at taking penalties.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As I was watching the video, I thought: isn’t it great about young people these days.  And then about 3 mins into the video, it was, oh man, young people these days are so weird.  And then after the video, I went back to: isn’t it great to see young people these days.  Sooo conflicted!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, JamboAl said:

As I was watching the video, I thought: isn’t it great about young people these days.  And then about 3 mins into the video, it was, oh man, young people these days are so weird.  And then after the video, I went back to: isn’t it great to see young people these days.  Sooo conflicted!

There's certainly a market for these types of videos amongst the younger generations. Most important for me is that huge engagement numbers on their YouTube, Twitter, Instagram, Tik Tok, etc, will help them get paid, as that's what a lot of marketing firms are looking for. If they get paid, they will present as proof that you can be a great success in football, which might draw some of our best young athletes to choose football over hockey or basketball.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

There's certainly a market for these types of videos amongst the younger generations. Most important for me is that huge engagement numbers on their YouTube, Twitter, Instagram, Tik Tok, etc, will help them get paid, as that's what a lot of marketing firms are looking for. If they get paid, they will present as proof that you can be a great success in football, which might draw some of our best young athletes to choose football over hockey or basketball.

And with popularity like that maybe the next time CMNT plays at BMO field with no restrictions on fans, we can have the upper sections open, regardless of opponent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Drake and Beiber etc are out there flying the CDN colors and reaching millions.  I dont care for the v-log expecially either, but it is cool to see 2 young CDN sports stars out there getting a millions views in a day.  Stuff like this raises the "cool" profile of soccer for CDN kids.  Whether us old fogies like it or not, the young generation like Tomori, Akinola, etc etc probably would pay attention to this.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Whether us old fogies like it or not, the young generation like Tomori, Akinola, etc etc probably would pay attention to this.  

So you're saying that this video could inspire Tomori and Akinola to go shopping in Paris?

Edited by Norrin Radd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kent said:

And with popularity like that maybe the next time CMNT plays at BMO field with no restrictions on fans, we can have the upper sections open, regardless of opponent.

The whole "business" of the team could be transformed.  Hosting friendlies goes from a money loser to a money maker.  I have a feeling that Canada's home games will now be treated properly by the news cycle so game promotion will take care of itself (No need to yell into the ether that a game is happening).  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...