Jump to content
jpg75

The Importance of Alphonso Davies

Recommended Posts

Here is to Phonzie, his friends and family. To those have helped him develop. Most of all a glass raised to all of you on here past and present that have spent years dreaming of moments like this. Moments lots of nations like where I grew up would take for granted. Glorious stuff and another milestone for Canadian football. On to the next step.

Cheers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Here is to Phonzie, his friends and family. To those have helped him develop. Most of all a glass raised to all of you on here past and present that have spent years dreaming of moments like this. Moments lots of nations like where I grew up would take for granted. Glorious stuff and another milestone for Canadian football. On to the next step.

Cheers.

Could have done without this dig, but cheers. Congrats Phonzy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't know what to even say about this. Always liked him, but never imagined him to be starting right away like this. Such a huge achievement. I'm hoping a lot of Canadian kids are watching this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Davies is now a Bundesliga champion, a UEFA Champions League champion and wins a Rookie of the Year on top of it. What other things are left? Winning a CONCACAF Gold Cup and qualifying for the World Cup with Canada and actually playing in a World Cup 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

Consideration?  It's in the bag.

It probably is, I am just thinking that there are still enough clueless members of the Canadian media that will think it should go to Conor McDavid or any random Canuck on whichever team wins the Stanley Cup. I guess it won’t go to a CFL player at least 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, SkuseisLoose said:

I love how every tweet about him has some Ghanaian/African people saying how he’s actually not Canadian but Ghanaian/Liberian.

I don't mind sharing Phonzie because  he's ours. The more followers and fans he attracts the more lucrative his endorsements and publicity for Canadian soccer. What irks me is the Canadian corporate world just missing a huge opportunity. The Davies story epitomizes what Canada is all about and now he is  a hot commodity. Typical.... too late to the party.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Colliedor said:

Don't know what to even say about this. Always liked him, but never imagined him to be starting right away like this. Such a huge achievement. I'm hoping a lot of Canadian kids are watching this.

Unfortunately, when neither SNP nor TSN or CBC showing the game

through cable/satellite tv, that's not happening.

BTW, When was the last time Canadian soccer news on headlines of major sport websites? 1986?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, lamptern said:

Unfortunately, when neither SNP nor TSN or CBC showing the game

through cable/satellite tv, that's not happening.

BTW, When was the last time Canadian soccer news on headlines of major sport websites? 1986?

Yeah but it was live-streamed on Twitter and I suspect there are more kids on Twitter than who would grab a remote and flip to CBC.  
 

Any way we can tell how many watched the live stream on Twitter?

Edited by dyslexic nam

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

.  
 

Any way we can tell how many watched the live stream on Twitter?

near the start of the game there were just over 1000 viewers .

at least i think i saw a viewers counter when i wasn't watching full screen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SkuseisLoose said:

I love how every tweet about him has some Ghanaian/African people saying how he’s actually not Canadian but Ghanaian/Liberian.

These people have an old world mindset and don't understand what Canada is

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Yeah but it was live-streamed on Twitter and I suspect there are more kids on Twitter than who would grab a remote and flip to CBC.  
 

Any way we can tell how many watched the live stream on Twitter?

The highest I saw it get to was 3.2k

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lamptern said:

Unfortunately, when neither SNP nor TSN or CBC showing the game

through cable/satellite tv, that's not happening.

FIFA Club World Cup Canadian rights are held by Sportsnet and TVA Sports. With Davies in there, Sportsnet would be crazy not to air the tournament 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

Yeah but it was live-streamed on Twitter and I suspect there are more kids on Twitter than who would grab a remote and flip to CBC.  
 

Any way we can tell how many watched the live stream on Twitter?

No way. A tiny fraction of people in Canada watched this because it was not on television. It’s a real shame. The live streaming only option is a disaster for the exposure of soccer in this country. Kids have no access. Casual fans have no access. It’s for middle aged, wealthy urbanites. A niche viewership of core supporters. Will have a long term impact in my opinion. European football has basically vanished from mainstream conversation in Canada. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Soccer has never been as popular in Canada as it is right now and a big reason for that is streaming. People do not have to be force fed what TSN and Sportsnet force feed them and they can choose what they want to watch. And that happens to be soccer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Ansem said:

FIFA Club World Cup Canadian rights are held by Sportsnet and TVA Sports. With Davies in there, Sportsnet would be crazy not to air the tournament 

TVA Sports? Since when? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Blackdude said:

TVA Sports? Since when? 

My bad, those were old links. TSN holds the rights. Hopefully Davies will be an incentive to air the whole thing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Having a Twitter war with these fool , basically telling me that Davies more or less is not really Canadian lol. Canada has nothing to do with his development lol. 
“  Alphonso's talent is from his African ancestry.
No different from the guys I played with who were Italian, Portuguese.
Their talent came from their ancestry “. Incredible and this fool is supposedly Canadian tweeting  this crap! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...