Jump to content
jpg75

The Importance of Alphonso Davies

Recommended Posts

This is why we should hope David can make a big splash in Germany or England soon. He obviously won’t have the same immediate impact that Phonzie did once he got game time (with the whole best LB in the league thing) but it’s not out of the question for him to start producing for a solid club right away. 

Davies is already making people realize that a world class player can come out of Canada. We know how good David is but until he makes a bigger move out of Gent, he’ll still be under the radar. The good thing about David having success is he didn’t come out of MLS so he could bring more scouts to Canada specifically!

I think we have more players who could play in the big 4 leagues, these two will hopefully open the doors for that. If Josh Sargent can score 1 goal in his last 18 games and still play, why can’t our young strikers do that too? ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Bdog said:

This is why we should hope David can make a big splash in Germany or England soon. He obviously won’t have the same immediate impact that Phonzie did once he got game time (with the whole best LB in the league thing) but it’s not out of the question for him to start producing for a solid club right away. 

Davies is already making people realize that a world class player can come out of Canada. We know how good David is but until he makes a bigger move out of Gent, he’ll still be under the radar. The good thing about David having success is he didn’t come out of MLS so he could bring more scouts to Canada specifically!

I think we have more players who could play in the big 4 leagues, these two will hopefully open the doors for that. If Josh Sargent can score 1 goal in his last 18 games and still play, why can’t our young strikers do that too? ;)

In basketball circles they always talk about both the Steve Nash effect and the Vince Carter effect on inspiring our current crop of talent.  I guarantee you there are young kids out there who will see the success of Davies and David and either choose soccer over other sports or grow up with the belief they too can become a superstar in a sport that when I was their age I grew up thinking Canadians couldn't compete in

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Strait Red said:

Davies player of the month for Bayern. Nice accomplishment considering the numbers Lewandowski has put up all season.

 

4D9E8E1C-5A97-43FB-BE34-334D62CFC727.jpeg

Surprised he won it over Lewandowski especially since Lewandowski hands down has been Bayern's best player hell he is the best striker in the world by far. His numbers this season prove it but Davies winning Player of the Month shocks me. Just goes to show you just how much of a world class talent Davies truly is and if he can carry Canada on his back during WCQ, then Canada can surely qualify for Qatar.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

Looking at the voting Lewandoski isn't even listed. I imagine there must be a rule the same player can't win it 2 knows in a row, since Lewa won it for April.

I didn’t even look that far into it, I just saw the tweet and figured I’d post it here. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Why is Davies considered a rookie when he joined Bayern last season?

He only joined half the season and hardly played. This is his first full season as a Bayern player so he’s a rookie 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Canuckistan2019 said:

He only joined half the season and hardly played. This is his first full season as a Bayern player so he’s a rookie 

Does that mean Erling Halaand will be a rookie next year since he joined halfway through this season?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Does that mean Erling Halaand will be a rookie next year since he joined halfway through this season?  

No, because to be considered a rookie, you need to not have started a Bundesliga game before and be under 23 and have less than 450 Bundesliga minutes. Davies had 74 Bundesliga minutes last season. It's like to be eligible for Rookie of the Year in other sports, there are often restrictions about age and games played. This is not the exception. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Blackdude said:

No, because to be considered a rookie, you need to not have started a Bundesliga game before and be under 23 and have less than 450 Bundesliga minutes. Davies had 74 Bundesliga minutes last season. It's like to be eligible for Rookie of the Year in other sports, there are often restrictions about age and games played. This is not the exception. 

Got it. Different leagues have different criteria for what defines a rookie, so thanks for clarifying how the Bundesliga specifically does that. 

Edited by Obinna

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

https://www.tuttosport.com/sondaggi/calcio/golden-boy/2020/06/15-70739285/vota_il_golden_boy_2020_le_100_nomination/

Here is the link to vote for Davies for the golden boy U21 award. Don't think this was posted yet.

Davies is in 3rd (377 votes) trailing Sancho (402) and Halaand (472). David is somewhere in the lower-middle of the pack with 88 votes, but slightly ahead of Reyna (75) and Dest (86).

Edited by Obinna

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Obinna said:

https://www.tuttosport.com/sondaggi/calcio/golden-boy/2020/06/15-70739285/vota_il_golden_boy_2020_le_100_nomination/

Here is the link to vote for Davies for the golden boy U21 award. Don't think this was posted yet.

Davies is in 3rd (377 votes) trailing Sancho (402) and Halaand (472). David is somewhere in the lower-middle of the pack with 88 votes, but slightly ahead of Reyna (75) and Dest (86).

Can anyone find a timeliness for when voting ends? If Bayern can make a champions league run Davies would get a lot of exposure most of the others won't be getting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The game that could clinch the title is happening now. Davies just got a yellow and it could have been a red! Lucky boy that time. He kicked out at an opponent. Keep a cool head Davies!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I actually missed the second yellow. Glad to hear from you guys it was harsh at least. But that's why you don't take a stupid/rash yellow in the first half.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Kent said:

I actually missed the second yellow. Glad to hear from you guys it was harsh at least. But that's why you don't take a stupid/rash yellow in the first half.

It was a very borderline obstruction call. The Bremen attacker pretty much ran into Davies. Somewhat debatable that it was a foul, but very strongly debatable it was a yellow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

If he has to exit the stadium, he won't even get to celebrate clinching the title with the guys (assuming they hang on).  That sucks.

Just saw him back on the field.  That is good.  For some reason I thought a red-carded player couldn't return to the field even after the final whistle but I must have invented that...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...