The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

18 minutes ago, sebdeserio said:

That rag has no relevance and never will. It'll 100% be Davies unless the Nuggets win in game 7 of the final off a Finals MVP performance by Murray capped off by him hitting a Kawhi-esque 3 at the buzzer.

I disagree. As long as Jamal plays at the level he is playing right now and the Nuggets win the championship I don't think you can argue with Murray or Davies winning it. Murray is having a historic playoff run and if he can win the championship being down 3-1 twice then beating Lebron it'll likely be him. That being said the odds are very slim Nuggets win it and Davies will likely win the Lou Marsh. 

Article was written by noted soccer-hater Steve Simmons, although he has been complimentary of Davies in a couple of his regular Sunday columns.  I was actually surprised he mentioned David as well.  I hope Phonzie wins it, but I won't be upset if Murray takes his team to the title and ultimately wins the award.  He has been great.  

At only 19, Davies has a lot more years to potentially win the award.  I have no doubts that his personal quality will continue to get better but it will be tough to top what his club achieved this past season.  Mind you this Bayern team could go on and have multiple treble winning seasons.

His meteoric rise this year is also a great story.  Lets not forget he was not a certified starter this time last year.  A few injuries and Davies took his chances and Bayern had to adjust their entire backline to accommodate Davies into the lineup.  It's easy when you have a quality player like Alaba who can play anywhere on the pitch.

12 hours ago, canadasoccer20 said:

I disagree. As long as Jamal plays at the level he is playing right now and the Nuggets win the championship I don't think you can argue with Murray or Davies winning it. Murray is having a historic playoff run and if he can win the championship being down 3-1 twice then beating Lebron it'll likely be him. That being said the odds are very slim Nuggets win it and Davies will likely win the Lou Marsh. 

You can make a case that even if the Nuggets beat the Lakers, it will be very tough to overlook Murray for the award.  Murray is in some discussion as to whether he is top 10 player in the NBA.  And if you are a top 10 player in the NBA, your a top 10 player in the world.   This is not quite something that we can say about Davies at this time.  
i would be happy with either choice none the less.

by the way, i feel dirty talking the Lou Marsh award.   I turned my back Because of some of the decisions that they have made in past years in regards to recipients.  Very bruttal choices in consecutive years when awarding it to a CFL running back one year and a Bobsledder the following.   So to me its joke of an award because the panels look very evidently agenda driven in their choices.  Politics, ideology,  sport bias, bias towards amateur athletes,  and Petty regionalism is what appears to be driving the decisions;   not the achievement or acomplishment.  

Edited by Free kick

22 minutes ago, Free kick said:

You can make a case that even if the Nuggets beat the Lakers, it will be very tough to overlook Murray for the award.  Murray is in some discussion as to whether he is top 10 player in the NBA.  And if you are a top 10 player in the NBA, your a top 10 player in the world.   This is not quite something that we can say about Davies at this time.  
i would be happy with either choice none the less.

by the way, i feel dirty talking the Lou Marsh award.   I turned my back Because of some of the decisions that they have made in past years in regards to recipients.  Very bruttal choices in consecutive years when awarding it to a CFL running back one year and a Bobsledder the following.   So to me its joke of an award because the panels look very evidently agenda driven in their choices.  Politics, ideology,  sport bias, bias towards amateur athletes,  and Petty regionalism is what appears to be driving the decisions;   not the achievement or acomplishment.  

I want to put it out there that Kallie Humphreys (now representing the US) was a decent choice in an Olympic year.  I am all for rewarding our amateur athletes with the Lou Marsh trophy when they have had an unbelievable year.

24 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

I want to put it out there that Kallie Humphreys (now representing the US) was a decent choice in an Olympic year.  I am all for rewarding our amateur athletes with the Lou Marsh trophy when they have had an unbelievable year.

Biggest problem i had with that choice wasnt the accomplishment.  It was that she was participating in a sport that has very very few number of athletes who partake in it.  And more importantly,  the sport had just barely opened up to women.  It had just become a olympic sport for women so the depth of talent was extremely shallow, to say the least.   Much different than tennis, basketball or soccer which have been played by men and women around the globe for almost a century.   Much easier to be a big fish in a small pond than to be a big fish in a big pond.

PS.: Humphriez was chosen over Bouchard and Raonic.  Bouchard, that year, went to the wibledon finals and was killing it at the other grand slams.  Raonic went to the US open finals.

Edited by Free kick

38 minutes ago, Mikmacdo said:

On the bench again apparently because Bayern has no backup wingers. 

One preview I read earlier today said he was doubtful. We heard he had some muscular problems last week, so it is possible he has not recovered fully. He's on the bench at least.

Bayern without Thiago and Coutinho, with Javi Martínez on his way out, and with some of the veterans just that much older, seems to me to be a small step down in terms of roster than last month's Champion's team. It'll be interesting to see how they manage this season.

I'm looking forward to a great match, Sevilla is incredibly competitive, the Europa Cup final was an excellent showing.

Very high quality match, superb.

Well as they go into the extra period, I think they allow more changes. So we may see Alphonso, I think Lucas is on a card and looks like he could get another, he looks stretched, and they may need his speed to cover against Sevilla counters. 

Edit, m 6 of the extra period, he's about to come on. It's for Goretzka on the board, but in fact it was for Hernández as he takes the left back position.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

2 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

It helps to be a likeable guy! I love Davies as we all do but I think the hype/praise is over the top at times. I felt like I went from telling people not to sleep on him to telling people to relax overnight. 

My concern about that is the expectations people will put on him in a Canada shirt.  It is one thing to play with that swagger when you are among the superstars of Bayern, but we can’t expect Davies to grab every game by the throat and win it for us.   And more importantly, he shouldn’t feel like we expect that from him.  I can’t claim to know him at all, but I get the impression that sort of pressure and expectation wouldn’t contribute to a positive outcome.  

17 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Phonzie starting at LB this morning.  Good to see him back on the field.  

I'm putting a lot of the blame for that goal on the Phonz. If he's covering the back post on the corner, he should be starting on the line, then pushing out when appropriate. He took up a position in no-man's land, really, so had no chance of getting behind the flick on to head it clear.

5 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

I'm putting a lot of the blame for that goal on the Phonz. If he's covering the back post on the corner, he should be starting on the line, then pushing out when appropriate. He took up a position in no-man's land, really, so had no chance of getting behind the flick on to head it clear.

I wondered about that, but no one was on the near post either, so I am assuming it was supposed to be that way. 

43 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

He doesn’t look to be placed on the post though. He’s covering the area at the back post