All-time appearances made by Canadian Internationals in the German Bundesliga

nolando

All-time appearances made by Canadian Internationals in Germany's top-flight

1) Paul Stalteri (170 appearances with Werder Bremen and Borussia Monchengladbach, 2000–05, 2008–10)

2) Kevin McKenna (112 appearances with Energie Cottbus and FC Koln, 2000–01, 2006–07, 2008–12)

3) Julian de Guzman (78 appearances with Hannover 96, 2002–05)

4) Daniel Imhof (61 appearances with VfL Bochum, 2006-10)

5) Rob Friend (50 appearances with Borussia Monchengladbach, 2008-10)

6) Marcel de Jong (41 appearances with Augsburg, 2011-15)

7) Alphonso Davies (27 appearances with Bayern Munich, 2019-20)

😎 Olivier Occéan (18 appearances with Eintracht Frankfurt, 2012-13)

9) Simeon Jackson (9 appearances for Eintracht Braunschweig, 2013-14)

Edited by nolando

Random thoughts:

- Stalteri's record is safe for many years to come

- Is Daniel Imhof (and perhaps Fernando Aguiar) our least appreciated MNT player of all time? Even post career, while the other top five guys are notable managers/coaches/owners, he's in the interior of BC quietly running a sporting goods store.

- Fun fact: Simeon Jackson is number eight on this list AND the English list of top flight appearances

- Now over to you Alphonso Davies...

42 minutes ago, neuker said:

You missed one:

1) Owen argreaves  (171 appearances with Bayern Munich, 1999-2007)

2) Paul Stalteri (170 appearances with Werder Bremen and Borussia Monchengladbach, 2000–05, 2008–10)

3) Kevin McKenna (112 appearances with Energie Cottbus and FC Koln, 2000–01, 2006–07, 2008–12)

4) Julian de Guzman (78 appearances with Hannover 96, 2002–05)

5) Daniel Imhof (61 appearances with VfL Bochum, 2006-10)

6) Rob Friend (50 appearances with Borussia Monchengladbach, 2008-10)

7) Marcel de Jong (41 appearances with Augsburg, 2011-15)

😎 Alphonso Davies (27 appearances with Bayern Munich, 2019-20)

9) Olivier Occéan (18 appearances with Eintracht Frankfurt, 2012-13)

10) Simeon Jackson (9 appearances for Eintracht Braunschweig, 2013-14)

Confirmed troll. This is why no one takes you seriously.

7 minutes ago, nolando said:

????

Blackdude could be alluding to the fact that you said “Canadian internationals” rather than “Canadians”, or he could be alluding to the fact that whatshisface only had 143 Bundesliga appearances (not 171), or it could be that neuker missed one letter in that player’s name (but I assumed that was to get past the censors).

Those are my best guesses.

52 minutes ago, Kent said:

Blackdude could be alluding to the fact that you said “Canadian internationals” rather than “Canadians”, or he could be alluding to the fact that whatshisface only had 143 Bundesliga appearances (not 171), or it could be that neuker missed one letter in that player’s name (but I assumed that was to get past the censors).

Those are my best guesses.

It's the first part. That's all I'm going to say.

Am I the only one who doesn't care about OH now that we have AD?

I know it is still early days, but our boy poised to have a much more significant career than OH, club wise and internationally. Why hold on to the past when our future is so bright. He decided to play for England, so what? Who cares? It was how many years ago? We are not that desperate version of Canada anymore, are we?

I say let go of the censor and the past. With Davies and David, it's all about the future and the future is right now!

Edited by Obinna

On 7/30/2018 at 9:14 AM, deschamp86 said:

I could never understand why Imhof wasn't called up more often

Wasn't most of his career spent during the same period that we had guys like Julian de Guzman, Dwayne de Rosario and Atiba Hutchinson playing in the centre of the park?

No, I dont think you should forget.  We dont have to dwell on it but look at the energy and excitement Davies/David have put into our program.  They have moved the national needle as far as soccer is concerned in the country.   OH could have done this for us in the 00's.  Coming off the Gold cup win, if he hadnt broke our hearts and snubbed the team, who knows what would have happened??  He might not have put us over the hump on the field, but he really killed momentum we had building in the early 00's.  

2 hours ago, Bison44 said:

No, I dont think you should forget.  We dont have to dwell on it but look at the energy and excitement Davies/David have put into our program.  They have moved the national needle as far as soccer is concerned in the country.   OH could have done this for us in the 00's.  Coming off the Gold cup win, if he hadnt broke our hearts and snubbed the team, who knows what would have happened??  He might not have put us over the hump on the field, but he really killed momentum we had building in the early 00's.  

I hear you, but he is only 1 player...can we not make a similar argument for JDG2?

We had good momentum and a young Hoilett starring for Blackburn in the EPL would have followed suit. His brother was even a star on our team. Is his name censored? 

Where do you draw the line, you know?

Unpopular opinion, but censoring his name (and only his name) just comes off as immature and insecure. Does he really deserve such status?

Plus he wasn't a dynamic attacking player who grabbed the imagination like Davies. I seriously question whether he would have had a Davies-level impact on soccer in Canada. 

Even JDG2 was arguably more important, because despite playing for smaller clubs, he was more attacking player, which Canada sorely lacked until recently. Plus his brother played on the team, so it was more of a slap to the face.

We don't have to celebrate these guys or anything, but I am just not down with the butt-hurt attitude towards them. We are better than that.

And again, Davies and David make me forget all about these guys, honestly. To each their own though, seems like I am in the minority.

Edited by Obinna

4 hours ago, Obinna said:

Am I the only one who doesn't care about OH now that we have AD?

I know it is still early days, but our boy poised to have a much more significant career than OH, club wise and internationally. Why hold on to the past when our future is so bright. He decided to play for England, so what? Who cares? It was how many years ago? We are not that desperate version of Canada anymore, are we?

I say let go of the censor and the past. With Davies and David, it's all about the future and the future is right now!

I know we're all dreaming of this but c'mon. Club sure, but Internationally? OH played in 2 WC tournaments. He was MOTM and scored in a WC Quarter Final.

26 minutes ago, johnyb said:

I know we're all dreaming of this but c'mon. Club sure, but Internationally? OH played in 2 WC tournaments. He was MOTM and scored in a WC Quarter Final.

Maybe the international bit is a stretch, but Davies could play in two world cups. That is very much in the realm of possibility. Obviously getting to a quarter final and scoring is more difficult with Canada than England though..

But ranking international careers depends on what you place stock in. OH only had 42 international caps. Would Davies have a bigger international career if he doubles that cap total, albeit for a much smaller country? Is it more memorable to be the star of a smaller team or a role player on a bigger team? I guess it is a matter of opinion. No definitive right answer.

I guess I look at OH having more of a negative turn as opposed to us missing a huge positive he would have given us.  After him it seemed like we lost prospect after prospect (JDG being one of them) and there was just a stink on the program that we couldnt shake.  

I am a Man U fan. I was a huge fan in the 90’s through to about 5 or 6 years ago when I became a father and had less freedom Saturday mornings. When he was on the team it didn’t feel like there was a Canadian on the team. I didn’t get excited when he came on the field, unlike when any Canadian comes on the field for TFC. I don’t think about him much anymore, but I don’t want to say his name on this board and think it’s kind of funny that it is censored here.

One point about the lesser De Guzman. You can’t really censor his name unless you censor his full name, or else Julian would get caught in the crossfire.

Getting back to the topic of the thread though, how much of a boss was Paul Staltari!

If you combine his Bundesliga, EPL and European cup matches, I think you can make an argument that he probably had the most successful club career of any Canadian International. Certainly in terms of number of truly top flight footie appearances.

40 minutes ago, A_Gagne said:

Getting back to the topic of the thread though, how much of a boss was Paul Staltari!

If you combine his Bundesliga, EPL and European cup matches, I think you can make an argument that he probably had the most successful club career of any Canadian International. Certainly in terms of number of truly top flight footie appearances.

And in terms of big 4 championships!

11 hours ago, Watchmen said:

I think he's tied with Davies for that one.

True. That managed to slip my mind. No doubt it won't be long before Davies surpasses him, and eventually potentially by a healthy or even huge margin.