Sign in to follow this  
mightymoose

CPL economics

Although it went against the prevailing group think on here at the time, having a relatively low salary cap is one of the things that CanPL have got right and that will have been from examining what went wrong previously and elsewhere.

They are not a carbon copy of MLS, but they have also clearly emulated certain aspects of the MLS business model to a greater extent than the strange fixation over club vs franchise distinctions would suggest at first glance. Doing that and apparently insisting on ten year commitments up front has minimized the risk of the weaker links on paid attendance falling by the wayside.

Now they appear to be crossing the Rubicon on having a club from a larger league involved and people seem to see players being signed by MLS as a triumph rather than a loss things are beginning to move in the direction I thought they got wrong initially. Being linked to Atletico Madrid would add credibility rather than undermine the status of the league by making it look like a "development league".

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

3 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Although it went against the prevailing group think on here at the time, having a relatively low salary cap is one of the things that CanPL have got right and that will have been from examining what went wrong previously and elsewhere.

They are not a carbon copy of MLS, but they have also clearly emulated certain aspects of the MLS business model to a greater extent than the strange fixation over club vs franchise distinctions would suggest at first glance. Doing that and apparently insisting on ten year commitments up front has minimized the risk of the weaker links on paid attendance falling by the wayside.

Now they appear to be crossing the Rubicon on having a club from a larger league involved and people seem to see players being signed by MLS as a triumph rather than a loss things are beginning to move in the direction I thought they got wrong initially. Being linked to Atletico Madrid would add credibility rather than undermine the status of the league by making it look like a "development league".

With the caveat that I disagree with the term “groupthink” in this case, I agree with much of what you’re saying. Maybe some people were against a foreign club’s ownership owning a CPL club, but I never was. I think that there’s a huge difference between Atlético Madrid B playing in Ottawa and Ottawa XYZ soccer club which happens to be owned by the same company that own Atlético. I think that most of us were always interested in the latter.