Sign in to follow this  
mightymoose

CPL economics

13 hours ago, Lofty said:

YouTube is free. A 1S subscription is $50 or more. Low YouTube subs indicates low interest from anyone but hardcore fans. Not good.

CPL channel subs are 5k. Also extremely poor.

The first step in solving a problem is recognizing that you have one.

I just realized I'm not subbed to either channel... Watch most if not all of the content, but not subbed.

I guess I can boost the subscriber number a little, but I'm already paying audience so I doubt there's much real benefit...

Before we decide the issue is with the general public not paying for content, how many of us are actually paying for the One Soccer service?  Would be interesting to know if it’s north or south of 25%.

9 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Before we decide the issue is with the general public not paying for content, how many of us are actually paying for the One Soccer service?  Would be interesting to know if it’s north or south of 25%.

I suspect lots of us are (I am).  I think the issue is that we are not representative of the broader public. 

29 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Could be worth a poll. I do feel like there are quite a few people here who don't which I find incredible given that this is something we've all wanted for years

19 minutes ago, deschamp86 said:

Could be worth a poll. I do feel like there are quite a few people here who don't which I find incredible given that this is something we've all wanted for years

I regularly see people on the V's FB page asking for free stream links for games that are on OS.  I usually point them to OS and also (probably annoyingly) moralize that the V's page shouldn't be used to undermine  the media organization providing an excellent and affordable platform for Canadian footy.

2 hours ago, Rintaran said:

I just realized I'm not subbed to either channel... Watch most if not all of the content, but not subbed.

I guess I can boost the subscriber number a little, but I'm already paying audience so I doubt there's much real benefit...

I just use subs as a heuristic but I agree that views on the videos is the important number. And unfortunately they are also very low, as one would expect with a low subscriber count.

45 minutes ago, deschamp86 said:

They are giving them away free next season so that tells us something.

1 hour ago, Lofty said:

They are giving them away free next season so that tells us something.

I never envisioned that most of the fans going to the games had OneSoccer accounts. I would figure that a good portion of them don't. I am curious as to how many of us who waste away our work days on this site actually pay for it.

I also doubt that they are giving them away for free. I'd be very surprised if OneSoccer wasn't being compensated by the clubs

Just now, deschamp86 said:

I never envisioned that most of the fans going to the games had OneSoccer accounts. I would figure that a good portion of them don't. I am curious as to how many of us who waste away our work days on this site actually pay for it.

I also doubt that they are giving them away for free. I'd be very surprised if OneSoccer wasn't being compensated by the clubs

Yes, a poll on here would be interesting. It is a shame if a lot of people are not just stepping up. It is about $5 a month. The price of a beer.

I was really just saying that the overall numbers must be very disappointing for them to give it away next season. But I think that is a great way to get the numbers up.

Just now, Lofty said:

Yes, a poll on here would be interesting. It is a shame if a lot of people are not just stepping up. It is about $5 a month. The price of a beer.

I was really just saying that the overall numbers must be very disappointing for them to give it away next season. But I think that is a great way to get the numbers up.

Yeah. Part of the problem is that likely most of the people going to the games only care about their team. If they already have seasons tickets, they are only going to really be watching 14 games on OneSoccer instead of 28.

Its a great deal for someone like myself with no team in my market. When the season started I pretty much constantly had OneSoccer streaming

5 hours ago, Lofty said:

Rumours seem to be that numbers were very low.  At the same time, I'm assuming that after giving away (or at least discounting) a kit to every season ticket holder in year 1, the league needed to find something of perceived value for year 2.

Also, I'm not subscribed.  I'll catch games occasionally on CBC but that's about it.  I've done the free month once and bought one game, but honestly I'm already subscribed to enough services and the inability to watch on delay (in a reasonable amount of time) don't make it appealing to me.