CPL economics

19 minutes ago, deschamp86 said:

Could be worth a poll. I do feel like there are quite a few people here who don't which I find incredible given that this is something we've all wanted for years

I regularly see people on the V's FB page asking for free stream links for games that are on OS.  I usually point them to OS and also (probably annoyingly) moralize that the V's page shouldn't be used to undermine  the media organization providing an excellent and affordable platform for Canadian footy.

1 hour ago, Lofty said:

They are giving them away free next season so that tells us something.

I never envisioned that most of the fans going to the games had OneSoccer accounts. I would figure that a good portion of them don't. I am curious as to how many of us who waste away our work days on this site actually pay for it.

I also doubt that they are giving them away for free. I'd be very surprised if OneSoccer wasn't being compensated by the clubs

Just now, Lofty said:

Yes, a poll on here would be interesting. It is a shame if a lot of people are not just stepping up. It is about $5 a month. The price of a beer.

I was really just saying that the overall numbers must be very disappointing for them to give it away next season. But I think that is a great way to get the numbers up.

Yeah. Part of the problem is that likely most of the people going to the games only care about their team. If they already have seasons tickets, they are only going to really be watching 14 games on OneSoccer instead of 28.

Its a great deal for someone like myself with no team in my market. When the season started I pretty much constantly had OneSoccer streaming

5 hours ago, Lofty said:

Yes, a poll on here would be interesting. It is a shame if a lot of people are not just stepping up. It is about $5 a month. The price of a beer.

I was really just saying that the overall numbers must be very disappointing for them to give it away next season. But I think that is a great way to get the numbers up.

Rumours seem to be that numbers were very low.  At the same time, I'm assuming that after giving away (or at least discounting) a kit to every season ticket holder in year 1, the league needed to find something of perceived value for year 2.

Also, I'm not subscribed.  I'll catch games occasionally on CBC but that's about it.  I've done the free month once and bought one game, but honestly I'm already subscribed to enough services and the inability to watch on delay (in a reasonable amount of time) don't make it appealing to me.

• 2 months later...

Doubt it would make much difference given what happened with the Setanta Cup and if anything it highlights why FIFA's national league structure can have severe drawbacks, if you are not in one of the very few countries that obscene amounts of money get funnelled into from global broadcasting deals. Think the people pushing this are well aware that having Linfield play Bohemians rather than Larne won't suddenly transform interest levels, so it's probably mainly about politics.

21 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Doubt it would make much difference given what happened with the Setanta Cup and if anything it highlights why FIFA's national league structure can have severe drawbacks, if you are not in one of the very few countries that obscene amounts of money get funnelled into from global broadcasting deals. Think the people pushing this are well aware that having Linfield play Bohemians rather than Larne won't suddenly transform interest levels, so it's probably mainly about politics.

So how would you increase interest level?

Won't happen any time soon but I think there needs to be a UEFA-wide league structure to break the stranglehold that the English, Spanish, German and Italian leagues have and provide a viable way in to the higher levels for a Dublin or Belfast club and a way back to competing for a continental title for clubs like Ajax, Benfica and Red Star Belgrade. It's similar to how things are in CONCACAF in many ways. There is zero chance of high level full-time professionalism in a country like Jamaica if clubs are confined to a Jamaica only league. The national league structure is OK for some countries but places a glass ceiling on what's doable in others.

17 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Won't happen any time soon but I think there needs to be a UEFA-wide league structure to break the stranglehold that the English, Spanish, German and Italian leagues have and provide a viable way in to the higher levels for a Dublin or Belfast club and a way back to competing for a continental title for clubs like Ajax, Benfica and Red Star Belgrade. It's similar to how things are in CONCACAF in many ways. There is zero chance of high level full-time professionalism in a country like Jamaica if clubs are confined to a Jamaica only league. The national league structure is OK for some countries but places a glass ceiling on what's doable in others.

So you suggest an all island league. I kinda don't care about Irish football. I just posted the video because the data is interesting and relates to Canadian sports in many ways

Edited by SpursFlu

Don't think an all-island league makes sense at this point. This is really about politics rather than football and things are still not at the point where Derry City vs Linfield is just another game rather than an accident waiting to happen in security terms. The IFA have already vetoed it as far as I'm aware:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/50254193

Beyond that I really don't think there is much of a parallel with Canada given we get to have teams in MLS, because FIFA has been flexible on the national league structure where Canada is concerned as they saw that as the best way to foster the growth of the sport in a Canadian context.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

1 hour ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Don't think an all-island league makes sense at this point. This is really about politics rather than football and things are still not at the point where Derry City vs Linfield is just another game rather than an accident waiting to happen in security terms. The IFA have already vetoed it as far as I'm aware:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/50254193

Beyond that I really don't think there is much of a parallel with Canada given we get to have teams in MLS, because FIFA has been flexible on the national league structure where Canada is concerned as they saw that as the best way to foster the growth of the sport in a Canadian context.

Cool

I think with the u23 import approach and Borges resigning maybe just to move on this is definitely on their radar. If you look around the world at all the trampoline leagues, this is a way to become economically viable. Alphonso and Jonathan David in a round a bout way may be the best things to ever happen to the CPL

Edited by SpursFlu

Although it went against the prevailing group think on here at the time, having a relatively low salary cap is one of the things that CanPL have got right and that will have been from examining what went wrong previously and elsewhere.

They are not a carbon copy of MLS, but they have also clearly emulated certain aspects of the MLS business model to a greater extent than the strange fixation over club vs franchise distinctions would suggest at first glance. Doing that and apparently insisting on ten year commitments up front has minimized the risk of the weaker links on paid attendance falling by the wayside.

Now they appear to be crossing the Rubicon on having a club from a larger league involved and people seem to see players being signed by MLS as a triumph rather than a loss things are beginning to move in the direction I thought they got wrong initially. Being linked to Atletico Madrid would add credibility rather than undermine the status of the league by making it look like a "development league".

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

3 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Although it went against the prevailing group think on here at the time, having a relatively low salary cap is one of the things that CanPL have got right and that will have been from examining what went wrong previously and elsewhere.

They are not a carbon copy of MLS, but they have also clearly emulated certain aspects of the MLS business model to a greater extent than the strange fixation over club vs franchise distinctions would suggest at first glance. Doing that and apparently insisting on ten year commitments up front has minimized the risk of the weaker links on paid attendance falling by the wayside.

Now they appear to be crossing the Rubicon on having a club from a larger league involved and people seem to see players being signed by MLS as a triumph rather than a loss things are beginning to move in the direction I thought they got wrong initially. Being linked to Atletico Madrid would add credibility rather than undermine the status of the league by making it look like a "development league".

With the caveat that I disagree with the term “groupthink” in this case, I agree with much of what you’re saying. Maybe some people were against a foreign club’s ownership owning a CPL club, but I never was. I think that there’s a huge difference between Atlético Madrid B playing in Ottawa and Ottawa XYZ soccer club which happens to be owned by the same company that own Atlético. I think that most of us were always interested in the latter.