CPL economics

I mean for me limiting age of international players is a MASSIVE ref flag. On one hand your saying you want a top flight professional league on the other your going to start limiting players ages?

Time to figure out what CPL can afford to be - a fully professional top flight Canadian league or on the other hand a shoestring semi-pro developmental league. 

Its worth noting at this stage the age limit thing is just a rumor - however im not sure how you expect the league to be competitive when you start placing restrictions like that on who teams can sign. We already have provisions for 'Canadian content' why not leave it at that?

3 minutes ago, grasshopper1917 said:

...Time to figure out what CPL can afford to be - a fully professional top flight Canadian league or on the other hand a shoestring semi-pro developmental league...

There is plenty of space between those two sorts of setups and the league was always going to make some adjustments either upwards or downwards in budgetary terms to whatever level proved to be most sustainable. I'd be very surprised if it ever reaches the point where regular starters are not fully pro. The reason to sign young players is probably that you can usually pay them less on a fully pro deal as they chase the dream for a few years. There would be more danger of a slide towards semi-professionalism if the main focus was on older domestic players.

LOL.  I think there is a whole lot of over-reaction going on because certain things are getting read into some rumoured tinkering with the foreign player rules in the CPL.  

And that's all it is.  Tinkering.  It doesn't mean anything except someone is trying to improve on something that maybe doesn't need to be improved.  Happens a million times every single day in every single type of business because there are people who sit in rooms together  once every week and have to find things to talk about to justify their jobs.  Think that example is one A LOT of people on these forums can relate to as they head off to yet another meeting this morning that's going to just be a big, fat, waste of their time.  A-gin. 

And I'm the flighty one?

4 minutes ago, Cheeta said:

LOL.  I think there is a whole lot of over-reaction going on because certain things are getting read into some rumoured tinkering with the foreign player rules in the CPL.  

And that's all it is.  Tinkering.  It doesn't mean anything except someone is trying to improve on something that maybe doesn't need to be improved.  Happens a million times every single day in every single type of business because there are people who sit in rooms together  once every week and have to find things to talk about to justify their jobs.  Think that example is one A LOT of people on these forums can relate to as they head off to yet another meeting this morning that's going to just be a big, fat, waste of their time.  A-gin. 

And I'm the flighty one?

Testify!

1 hour ago, grasshopper1917 said:

I mean for me limiting age of international players is a MASSIVE ref flag. On one hand your saying you want a top flight professional league on the other your going to start limiting players ages?

Time to figure out what CPL can afford to be - a fully professional top flight Canadian league or on the other hand a shoestring semi-pro developmental league. 

Its worth noting at this stage the age limit thing is just a rumor - however im not sure how you expect the league to be competitive when you start placing restrictions like that on who teams can sign. We already have provisions for 'Canadian content' why not leave it at that?

Why can't it be a shoestring professional league with a developmental focus? Isn't that the most likely real world outcome?

24 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I can't see this rule affecting anything so much that it drives people away. 

Maybe not this rule alone, but if it it leads to more rules that essentially turn the league into a U23 league then it definitely will. I stopped watching MLS because I was sick of the endless roster restrictions. Now it is already looking like CPL wants to move in that direction

It’s the centralization of roster control and the single entity nature of the rule that bothers me more than the age restriction. Although I think that is pretty daft too 

We’ve already seen that centralization of the media has swayed heavily in the favour of Ontario teams

Edited by Aird25

I hope this is just a rumour. The league is essentially advocating for a bunch of youngsters running around with no experienced heads to guide them. Anyone know what happens to the senior internationals currently employed if this actually becomes a rule? Would be a shame to see the leagues runner up in the golden boot race not welcomed back with open arms. 

29 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

What if we just pretended we didn't hear it. How many internationals over 25 are in the league anyways? I'm assuming like the salary cap this info was not meant for public consumption

There has been many different reports of what is happening. There's reports of a pool, restriction of internationals over 25, and restrictions of internationals even younger.

Internationals 25 or Over
Cavalry (2) - Minatel, Buscher

FCE (5) - Soria, Son, Moses, Marcelin, Tchani

Forge (1) - Owundi

HFX (4) - John, Gutierrez, Perea, Williams

Pacific (1) - Staro

Valour (5) - Arguinarena, Mitter, Paolucci, Golubar, Galan

York (2) - Adjei, Gattas

It makes sense that Bob Young has been posting some things on Twitter about the league needing to be innovative since his team has the least. 

I think the age thing is stupid, but based on how this season went, I would honestly be fine to them cutting the foreign spots on each team as low as 3 or 4 per team

Edited by deschamp86
Hit enter by accident

14 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

I think the older import thing is more to keep competitive balance. A team in the summer transfer window could get a couple vets looking for a pit stop in Canada and run away with things. I'm surprised people are so in favour of a strict salary cap but are acting like this rule is the devil

Yes, I glanced at this news and never gave it a second look. Like others have asked, based on league's current roster demographics, does this change much?

Edited by Macksam

23 minutes ago, Macksam said:

Yes, I glanced at this news and never gave it a second look. Like others have asked, based on league's current roster demographics, does this change much?

I actually don't like the rule but based on where the league is at people are overreacting a bit. If this was the rule in 5 years I would be a bit disappointed. In the meantime I don't think it changes a whole lot because without expansion and More Canadians returning home next year something has to give in the shorter. I also expect more MLS loans next season. So it's kinda freeing up more space for Canadians really

Edited by SpursFlu

42 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

So it's kinda freeing up more space for Canadians really

Which is why I'd prefer them to just drop the amount of international spots you're allowed. Age shouldn't matter. I'd rather have a bunch of older internationals on the field than to have someone like Janssens brought in to take up a backup spot from a Canadian keeper. Guys like James and Oxner have shown that U Sports keepers are good enough, no need to bring in foreign back ups

22 minutes ago, Lofty said:

OneSoccer channel on YouTube: 2,980 subscribers.

Kick Off Countdown (to CPL Finals 2nd Leg) video, released 23 hrs ago: 361 views.

These numbers are terrible. Better marketing is needed.

Without more content like some free games and more shows like podcasts and live shows, can't expect to have that many views

I subscibe to Onesoccer but not their Youtube channel as it would be redundant(and I watch a lot of Youtube content, just not OS as I get it all directly from them), not sure low subscriber/view count for the streaming channel on another platform like youtube is an area for concern.

Edited by CDNFootballer

My theory is Media Pro is likely fairly unhappy with season one subscriber results. I suspect this is why CPL is offering free subs with every season ticket. They are likely going to pay media pro some amount for each sub allowing them to pay at least a modest portion of their expense for producing and distributing the games. (BTW thats all wild speculation  lol)

For me the pricing is the problem I would say 5$ a month is the max they should be charging. ESPN+ which plays the USL games charges $4.99 plus they have obviously tons of additional content.

Edited by grasshopper1917

13 hours ago, Lofty said:

YouTube is free. A 1S subscription is $50 or more. Low YouTube subs indicates low interest from anyone but hardcore fans. Not good.

CPL channel subs are 5k. Also extremely poor.

The first step in solving a problem is recognizing that you have one.

I just realized I'm not subbed to either channel... Watch most if not all of the content, but not subbed.

I guess I can boost the subscriber number a little, but I'm already paying audience so I doubt there's much real benefit...

9 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Before we decide the issue is with the general public not paying for content, how many of us are actually paying for the One Soccer service?  Would be interesting to know if it’s north or south of 25%.

I suspect lots of us are (I am).  I think the issue is that we are not representative of the broader public. 

29 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Before we decide the issue is with the general public not paying for content, how many of us are actually paying for the One Soccer service?  Would be interesting to know if it’s north or south of 25%.

Could be worth a poll. I do feel like there are quite a few people here who don't which I find incredible given that this is something we've all wanted for years