Clément Bayiha

https://www.impactmontreal.com/en/post/2018/07/24/clément-bayiha-signs-ottawa-fury-fc-and-joins-impact-loan

Position: Midfielder
Height: 5’8’’
Weight: 155lbs
Date of birth: March 8, 1999
Place of residence: Sainte-Thérèse
Previous team: Ottawa Fury FC
Date acquired: July 24, 2018

Couldn't see or find (via search) another thread for Clement. Bit of a weird loan? An Impact Academy player signed by Ottawa until season end, then loaned back just for the Canadian Championship match? 

He will be available for the Canadian Championship semifinals second leg against Vancouver

MONTREAL – The Montreal Impact announced on Tuesday that the homegrown midfielder Clément Bayiha will join the first team, on a short loan for a few days, after signing a professional contract with Ottawa Fury FC in the USL until the end of the season. He will be available for Montreal for the Canadian Championship semi-final second leg against the Vancouver Whitecaps FC, this Wednesday at 10pm EDT (canadasoccer.com, Yahoo Sports Canada, 98,5fm).

Born in Yaoundé, Cameroon, Bayiha joined the Academy in 2016 from club AS Blainville. He contributed to the U19 team’s success this year, scoring nine goals in 24 games, helping his team finish first in the Development Academy’s North-East division and fourth across the entire league during the regular season. He also made his international debut with the U21 Canadian national side at the Toulon tournament on Sunday, June 3, against Japan.

Edited by toontownman
Full article posted for anyone unable to click the link

1 minute ago, Vince193 said:

The reason for the loan is apparently MLS roster rules wouldn't let Garde sign him to the first team so Montreal had to get creative. I don't know what the rule was exactly but Nicolas Martineau tweeted out that he was confused about MLS roster rules. Garde apparently is a huge fan of him.

So after his one year contract he would come back to Montreal? It’s the only reason this move would make sense for the Impact! 

5 minutes ago, HochelagaFC said:

So after his one year contract he would come back to Montreal? It’s the only reason this move would make sense for the Impact! 

Similar to Verhoeven I imagine but still not understanding how these teams have any legal contractual hold on these players aside from being a top division and making promises in good faith.

2 hours ago, HochelagaFC said:

The way I see it, they wanted to have him available for the Canadian Championship. That would be the reason. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
2 hours ago, Big_M said:

Played in all five preseason games and started the last two..seems Garde likes him on the right wing..but Okwonkwo has arrived and replaced him in the last game so Bayiha might become his backup

Novillo is the expected starter and was a late scratch yesterday.

• 1 month later...
4 minutes ago, Pottsy3 said:

I was fully expecting Mathieu Choiniere to be the breakout young player for Montreal this year, but Bayiha has been a pleasant surprise on a team with some pretty good wingers.

Both have looked good playing on opposite sides. Choiniere carries the ball more while Bayiha is more of a fast breaking player. Choiniere carries the ball into the middle or on the wings and tries to maintain possession while looking for a play. Bayiha is good at using his speed to run by players staying more on the wing until he is near the box and is also good at doing overlaps and passing to another player running by like he did with ZBG in the previous game.

If they develop into solid MLS starters like I expect, a few years ago they would be automatic starters for the national team. However, even if they develop as much as I hope they might end up only being 3rd choice in their position with the national team which shows how quickly our depth has developed. Any good national team needs depth like that and it gives us other options if our more heralded talent like Tabla do not progress as much as we are predicting.

Bayiha is a very promising young player and It’s great to see him getting some minutes. But when Piatti returns from injury and when the Impact sign Omar Browne, Montreal will have 4 foreign wingers (Piatti, Novillo, Okwonkwo and Browne). Unless there are injuries to those players, it will be difficult for Bayiha to regularly make the bench this season. But I hope I’m wrong.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...