Pacific FC Launch / 2019 off season thread

2 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I'm looking at the webcam too. Looks like they are moving forward, but still: don't you want to get it done before game day to actually test things out?

I’m sure they do but as per the VPs quotes a few days ago they faced delays starting. 

There’s been multiple comments about how there’s a seemingly low number of workers on site which I find odd. I don’t work in trades but how would a GC find more skilled workers for a few days? Who haven’t been involved in a project? It seems unlikely that there’s a pool of qualified workers out there sitting at home waiting for the phone to ring. I suspect that the GC hired multiple firms to complete different areas of the job and those firms are running full capacity. They must have protections against the GC going out and hiring other firms to complete their work?

1 hour ago, BuzzAndSting said:

I’m sure they do but as per the VPs quotes a few days ago they faced delays starting. 

There’s been multiple comments about how there’s a seemingly low number of workers on site which I find odd. I don’t work in trades but how would a GC find more skilled workers for a few days? Who haven’t been involved in a project? It seems unlikely that there’s a pool of qualified workers out there sitting at home waiting for the phone to ring. I suspect that the GC hired multiple firms to complete different areas of the job and those firms are running full capacity. They must have protections against the GC going out and hiring other firms to complete their work?

Yeah as someone who made one of those comments; I guess you are right, it probably takes a significant increase in workers to make a significant difference and the cost probably isn't worth it for the city. Just seems odd that something like the actual seats being put in before the game in the new grandstand isn't a priority. 

Regardless, I am excited and know that in the latter half of the season the stadium will be looking pretty good. 

6 hours ago, BuzzAndSting said:

I know people in building in Victoria, and others who have looked for contractors, and what you say is true: it is hard to find labourers. So much so that I have heard of very high wages paid to anyone willing to work on a residential site, even, in the summer. I also understand that there are serious delays in cities like Victoria when it comes to permits. 

Still, they are moving ahead and I am encouraged by that, but it is frustrating to think that other clubs have put back their starting dates to be cautious, and that Pacific was not honest about the planning.

3 hours ago, Aird25 said:

I'm curious if those with negative opinions of the construction efforts...

It's Radio Moscow back in the Cold War level commentary on events not to be less than fully impressed at the lack of one new grandstand from the renderings behind the goal and the absence of seats in the other two prompting the message to bring a seat cushion or whatever. As Paul Beirne pointed out a couple of years ago, you only get one chance to make a first impression.  

9 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

It's Radio Moscow back in the Cold War level commentary on events not to be less than fully impressed at the lack of one new grandstand from the renderings behind the goal and the absence of seats in the other two prompting the message to bring a seat cushion or whatever. As Paul Beirne pointed out a couple of years ago, you only get one chance to make a first impression.  

I’ll take that as a no. I’m glad that you finally believe the state of the stadium will be as reported

Edited by Aird25
My frustration has passed

Sorry I’m sure I’ve missed it somewhere, but are these two former Canadian national team players and former European pros the only two owners of Pacific FC? God bless them for getting into becoming owners in this new Canadian soccer league creation, however, I’m sure they made some good money during their playing days the both of them by just looking at where they played. However, do they have the deep pockets of most of the other owners in this league ? Maybe they do as I don’t know what they were doing after their playing careers ended, or as I asked in the beginning are there other owners with them?

Edited by SoccMan

1 minute ago, SoccMan said:

Sorry I’m sure I’ve missed it somewhere, but are these two former Canadian national team players and former European pros the only two owners of Pacific FC? God bless them for getting into becoming owners in this new Canadian soccer league creation, however, I’m sure they made some good money during their playing days the both of them by just looking at where they played. However, do they have the deep pockets of most of the other owners in this league ? Maybe they do as I don’t know what they were doing after their playing careers ended.

Financial backing is from Dean Shillington

1 minute ago, Aird25 said:

Financial backing is from Dean Shillington

Oh ok thanks good to know ya didn’t think it was just these two former pros putting up their money, looks like it was their idea and they went out there and got a company with money to back their idea . Once again great to see two former Canadian pros going out there and selling the idea to financial backers and bringing a team to that area .

9 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

... it is frustrating to think that other clubs have put back their starting dates to be cautious, and that Pacific was not honest about the planning.

Every "complaint" you have made about their communications around the construction has been inaccurate. I have pointed out your errors time and time again yet you persist in spreading bullshit. 

They are delivering what they promised. They may not be able to deliver everything they hoped for on opening day. That does not make them dishonest. It makes them ambitious and hopeful. 

You are the one being dishonest I am asking you to stop.

58 minutes ago, ted said:

Every "complaint" you have made about their communications around the construction has been inaccurate. I have pointed out your errors time and time again yet you persist in spreading bullshit. 

They are delivering what they promised. They may not be able to deliver everything they hoped for on opening day. That does not make them dishonest. It makes them ambitious and hopeful. 

I'm not sure if this was posted on here (I think it was), but the stadium had a mysterious weeks long delay while being shipped from Italy. It left Italy on time, but apparently there was a backlog at the Panama Canal or something like that. These are events outside of PFC's control.  I suppose there are those here among us that expect an hour-by-hour status update on these type of things, but I think things are moving along remarkably quickly in the circumstances. 

2 hours ago, ted said:

You don't work for the club, and being a supporter is not conditioned on having to suck up to the club publicly. In fact, most supporters in the world are independent and are capable of proving themselves so. 

So you have no authority to ask me or anyone else to lick the same butt you are--that is your choice. You are being an authoritarian dick.

I am doing nothing more than pointing out what any professional knows: a stadium, with humans in it, paying, should be tested first. For a lot of reasons, including image, safety, honesty to fans, integrity of the organisation. 

There is nothing worse than a supporter who becomes a sectarian yeah-sayer to everything his club does--in fact it proves you have little experience in supporter culture, since most fans in the world, of serious clubs, are ruthlessly critical when need be. And asking fans to bring their own seats is downright shameful.

Anyways, you were the one slagging them indirectly over the smoke rules, I did not see that on any other club thread.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

19 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

You don't work for the club, and being a supporter is not conditioned on having to suck up to the club publicly. In fact, most supporters in the world are independent and are capable of proving themselves so. 

So you have no authority to ask me or anyone else to lick the same butt you are--that is your choice. You are being an authoritarian dick.

I am doing nothing more than pointing out what any professional knows: a stadium, with humans in it, paying, should be tested first. For a lot of reasons, including image, safety, honesty to fans, integrity of the organisation. 

There is nothing worse than a supporter who becomes a sectarian yeah-sayer to everything his club does--in fact it proves you have little experience in supporter culture, since most fans in the world, of serious clubs, are ruthlessly critical when need be. And asking fans to bring their own seats is downright shameful.

Anyways, you were the one slagging them indirectly over the smoke rules, I did not see that on any other club thread.

MIC....DROP

29 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

You don't work for the club, and being a supporter is not conditioned on having to suck up to the club publicly...

The problem is fan group leaders often feel a need to do that sort of thing to try to make sure they keep their unusually high level of access to management, coaches and players. The tension between people pointing out online that the emperor has no clothes in certain contexts and those who are determined to deny that he is letting it all hang loose in order to stay in good graces with the prevailing power structure is always going to be there.

I’m absolutely thrilled to have professional soccer kicking off on the island in a couple days, but I’m shocked by the vitriol displayed here. I’d like to apologize for my involvement. I’ll duck out for the time being so I can approach the stadium with the excitement that the occasion deserves