Pacific FC Launch / 2019 off season thread

19 hours ago, matty said:

i don't want him to fail but i want to see young canadians rise and i think there's a chance it happens here. it's not a bad thing

we're actually in a situation where a canadian takes the place of a canadian at a pro club and we're still acting like it's a canadian losing a spot to an argentine or american.

Sorry, I did overstate, I realise. My apologies. I just get teed off when we count out Canadian players before we've even seen them. And as I've met him I am a bit partial, I admit.

I realise you may be right about him not being automatically amazing and all, but that is the case with pretty well everyone touted as a key player on this or that team. If Haber doesn't score, will be the same. I think if Bekker has probems and is not dominating the centre at Forge, the same.

But frankly, Issey has no real replacement on the club. He can play down a wing, or behind a striker, or in the middle, and could even cover as an outside back. He's pretty versatile. He is also very fit as any clip shows. He will also be hugely motivated, and with Haber and De Jong there, and a Danish coach, even more (I think that if it had been up to him, he would have played in Denmark rather than Malaysia these last years). My prediction is that he'll score over ten goals.

So listening to the interview with Issey here:

http://www.theyounggaffers.com/episode-167-coast-to-coast-interviews-with-stephen-hart-hfx-wanderers-and-issey-nakajima-farran-pacific-fc/

Starts around m. 26.45.

Lots of uninteresting stuff, then interesting but unrelated stuff (about fan and supporter culture, pressure, the national team ambience, how he decided to play around the world at a certain point, to have experiences, once realising he might not make a higher level), but the interviewer does eventually get to some good content.

Issey says he was approached by Friend about a year ago, and was interested. Part of returning to Malaysia this past year was to keep in shape and be ready.

Says he played vs. the current PFC coach in Denmark, as had De Jong and Friend, so that is a connection. 

Agrees that Haber will be up front and that he'll connect from the wing, and talks about players gelling and knowing how to combine or let a player go one-on-one, he's a smart guy and can articulate a bit of tactics. 

Is asked and says that after being a foreigner in every other league in the world, he came to MLS and was not treated like a local, as a Canadian at home-- but not just him: no canadian is really appreciated by fans as such, I am paraphrasing. Also says he did not understand the trading system and had been happy at TFC before being sent to Impact.

He ends up talking about his art a bit towards the end. I have seen in other contexts he has not wanted to say much, as if he did not want it to overshadow his football. Here he does comment a bit. 

Finally he tells the story of playing for Brazil, being up against Robinho, a good story. infers at the end he may be living on a boat in Victoria.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

4 hours ago, Ansem said:

Their twitter feed spoke of 4 more this week and that is just 2. Articles say they went to camp in Tofino with 13 players plus the 3 draftees, implying none of them were yet signed. Add the 2 announced,  2 more pending and signing the U-Sports guys, and considering they say they want an "intimate" roster of around 22---we should still expect 2 more to be added beyond this week.

To be less confusing: least 4 new names expected as we stand.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

1 hour ago, BuzzAndSting said:

The release states MacNaughton is a Canadian citizen.

He is but I think his FIFA nationality is listed as American since he was born there and hasn't played for Canada or Belgium in any actual kind of fifa sanctioned competition.

8 minutes ago, Vince193 said:

I mean he's not even the best looking player on the team, not with Issey there.

i concur. kid might be more "traditionally" handsome but issey has swagger and charm on top of his look

22 hours ago, C2SKI said:

Issey also mentions that he and Marcel will be starting an academy on the island. 

True, so how do you take that?

First, is it money-making? His comments make it sound he wants to give something back, suggesting that the monetary aspect is not primordial. If it is a business idea, however, it suggests that the CPL contracts are indeed low and they need to complement it. Active players do not start academies, not normally. They do seminars or summer camp sessions, and the like. 

Second, does that project a future but upcoming retirement? Or is it just another way to try to create a business for after active pro life?

14 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

True, so how do you take that?

First, is it money-making? His comments make it sound he wants to give something back, suggesting that the monetary aspect is not primordial. If it is a business idea, however, it suggests that the CPL contracts are indeed low and they need to complement it. Active players do not start academies, not normally. They do seminars or summer camp sessions, and the like. 

Second, does that project a future but upcoming retirement? Or is it just another way to try to create a business for after active pro life?

I prefer not to speculate about motives for the time being. I'm just grateful that kids on the island are going to have infinitely more opportunities to pursue a career in football, than I was ever granted, and that the same rings true for a growing number of communities across the country.

Edited by C2SKI

3 hours ago, masster said:

Have seen a few lineups like this that have Blasco playing centrally. At WFC2, he was strictly a wing player. 

Or he can play behind the strikers. I think when I saw him play for Mid-Island Mariners he was all over the pitch because he was dominant, though he was most dangerous attacking up the right. 

We still need a good back-up for Haber, when you have a player like that you need a second target option, someone for him to play off of, or a replacement since he is likely to be worked to the ground in many games. 

I've been a little disappointed in how Pacific FC has covered their training camp and trip to Tofino. Absolutely no articles or news on their website. Just a few pictures and clips on twitter. Who is in camp? Any trialists? (Even if you don't want to name them, give us a number). How hard is it to give a daily recap?

I'm dying here for news. You have a new team and you want to create a connection between the fan base and your club. Keeo feeding them information.

2 hours ago, masster said:

I've been a little disappointed in how Pacific FC has covered their training camp and trip to Tofino. Absolutely no articles or news on their website. Just a few pictures and clips on twitter. Who is in camp? Any trialists? (Even if you don't want to name them, give us a number). How hard is it to give a daily recap?

I'm dying here for news. You have a new team and you want to create a connection between the fan base and your club. Keeo feeding them information.

Seems to me like they are drawing you in quite effectively... :P

12 hours ago, masster said:

13 signed players, plus the three U-Sports draftees. Plus at least the coach and Friend leading the workouts. Or maybe that is Merriman, Friend and the coach whose name I can't spell.

From their twitter feed, and from headcounts from these pics.

Missing the two new signings, and they say they still want 4 more = 22