Pacific FC Launch / 2019 off season thread

Just now, BuzzAndSting said:

Why do you think that?

he usually comes in hot and cools down and has missed a number of games in malaysia in recent years (also unsure how malaysia's league would compare to say usl but i suspect it's slightly lower)

27 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

I remember a guy who posts here quite a lot continually claiming that Pacific FC was definitely dragging down the CanPL salary cap to the point that players in the league would be playing for 5 bucks and a bag of chips per match. Whatever happened to that guy?

If I said that kind of crap, I would be so ashamed I wouldnt be able to show my face.  

16 minutes ago, matty said:

@BrennanFan I'm standing by my admittedly bold prediction.

It's not bold, @matty, it is just not based on fact. 

Malaysia pays more for players taken as Asian imports like him, has much larger stadiums. I think you are right it is not MLS level, but how would you determine it is not USL level?

Your comment that he has trailed off in seasons is dead wrong, it is false, because some he did, others he didn't: like every other player in the world. If he missed games, it was due to injury (rarely), and then his contract situation where he signed late to a team. The key: he has consistently scored, and has been considered a major player on both his teams in Malaysia. 

Why sign for Pacific? In Malaysia they have limited international spots if you are Asian, which he got. If he cannot get such a slot, his chances to sign drop. It is a salary drop for him at Pacific in any case, but I can't imagine being lower than Haber, taking De Jong coming out of a richer contract as probably the highest paid. 

5 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

It's not bold, @matty, it is just not based on fact. 

Malaysia pays more for players taken as Asian imports like him, has much larger stadiums. I think you are right it is not MLS level, but how would you determine it is not USL level?

Your comment that he has trailed off in seasons is dead wrong, it is false, because some he did, others he didn't: like every other player in the world. If he missed games, it was due to injury (rarely), and then his contract situation where he signed late to a team. The key: he has consistently scored, and has been considered a major player on both his teams in Malaysia. 

Why sign for Pacific? In Malaysia they have limited international spots if you are Asian, which he got. If he cannot get such a slot, his chances to sign drop. It is a salary drop for him at Pacific in any case, but I can't imagine being lower than Haber, taking De Jong coming out of a richer contract as probably the highest paid. 

what's not based a fact about my explanation and what's dead wrong? in 2 full seasons (22 games in 2016 and 2017) he never played more than 18 and played 11 last year (where he was subbed out regularly, often late which isn't shocking) as a result i think it's possible he has a stamina issue of sorts maybe related to injury (if injury is why he missed 20% of games in back to back seasons i don't think you can call that a rarity). combined with the fact he did slow down in mls and (iirc) a-league, it fair to say a 28 game season may see him fall from starter especially considering how cramped and loaded the season is.

now regarding under usl, i said i wasn't sure but given that leagues of similar stature to malaysia are often a mixed bag in terms of team quality i think it's very much possible the level is under usl pro but, as i've said several times now, i'm not sure on this point.

i know he's been scoring regularly but if he does have issues and the malaysia league is under usl i think it's possible he falls.

On 3/5/2019 at 8:12 AM, HaliCanuck said:

Do you know if MedioPro/Pacific intends to put up a tower on the other side to show the new/full stands on the south side?  There's a nice stadium with a roof on four sides, so it would be nice to show the full stand.

Also saw the infamous power pole, that's a big one to move.

It was explained to me by at least one owner that the plan is for the cameras to be mounted on the "hydro pole" side of the pitch looking towards the three sides of stands that will be in place for this year.

Yeah, that pole is annoying and hopefully we can get it moved and the fourth side added for 2020.

very curious what budget/cap space they have left and if they're going to starting doing what other teams have been doing and sign some more experienced mid level guys older guys like fisk. the one fault i see with pfc is that there is a giant gap between their top tier guys (de jong, haber and issey) and most of the surrounding team.

6 minutes ago, matty said:

very curious what budget/cap space they have left and if they're going to starting doing what other teams have been doing and sign some more experienced mid level guys older guys like fisk. the one fault i see with pfc is that there is a giant gap between their top tier guys (de jong, haber and issey) and most of the surrounding team.

It does seem they're hoping guys like Verhoeven and Hernandez have breakout years. Their team is really young.

4 minutes ago, Vince193 said:

It does seem they're hoping guys like Verhoeven and Hernandez have breakout years. Their team is really young.

yea it's got me a little hazy. also curious if they're going to try for another keeper 

27 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

Sucks that Hernández won’t start but do like the 1000 minutes between 3 U21 players rule.

If he earns minutes than that is fantastic. However, I don’t think we should depend on an 18 year old kid who has only played youth football to lead our front line. He’s scored buckets of goals at the youth levels, but let’s see how he adjusts to the professional game first.

12 hours ago, matty said:

what's not based a fact about my explanation and what's dead wrong? in 2 full seasons (22 games in 2016 and 2017) he never played more than 18 and played 11 last year (where he was subbed out regularly, often late which isn't shocking) as a result i think it's possible he has a stamina issue of sorts maybe related to injury (if injury is why he missed 20% of games in back to back seasons i don't think you can call that a rarity). combined with the fact he did slow down in mls and (iirc) a-league, it fair to say a 28 game season may see him fall from starter especially considering how cramped and loaded the season is.

now regarding under usl, i said i wasn't sure but given that leagues of similar stature to malaysia are often a mixed bag in terms of team quality i think it's very much possible the level is under usl pro but, as i've said several times now, i'm not sure on this point.

i know he's been scoring regularly but if he does have issues and the malaysia league is under usl i think it's possible he falls.

At least I've actually seen him live, for what it was worth.

I don't want him to fail. You do, so you can idiotically say "look I told you so!!" Just what do you get out of such frantic web searches to justify an off the cuff slag of a longtime Canadian pro?

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

7 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I will never argue with a Canada fan gratuitously slagging a Canadian player, without having seen him play in like 4 years or something. On the basis of frantic web searches. It warms my heart, it is one of those categories of posting for the sake of rhe poster's self-importance that I truly admire.

maybe instead of saying i'm "dead wrong" you should consider the other part which is someone is going to win his spot and looking at pfc's signings that's likely going to be a young canadian which, in my opinion, is exciting.

Edited by matty

27 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I don't want him to fail. You do, so you can idiotically say "look I told you so!!" Just what do you get out of such frantic web searches to justify an off the cuff slag of a longtime Canadian pro?

i don't want him to fail but i want to see young canadians rise and i think there's a chance it happens here. it's not a bad thing

we're actually in a situation where a canadian takes the place of a canadian at a pro club and we're still acting like it's a canadian losing a spot to an argentine or american.

Edited by matty

48 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Starostzik is a CB who has most recently been with a 3.Liga club but has been out injured for more than a year. Before that he was a consistent starter and captain of his team.

MacNaughton is a defender who played with UofT up until 2013. Can't find anything else about him.

Yeah I noticed Starostzik was scouted for the 2. Bundesliga, but just didn't cut it there. Strong addition for the team if true.