Mathieu Choinière

Big_M

1 hour ago, Sal333 said:

It's funny. You and other posters mention his versatility but his best games have been on the wings. He tends to become lost and pedestrian in the midfield. I have to admit I was reluctant to have him on the NT at first but he is growing on me. Maybe by the time 2026 rolls around I'll be a big supporter.

BTW, you do know we are only allowed 26 players on the squad and you keep boosting Priso, M.C. and other players on the bubble. For that to happen we will have to unload players like Millar and Osorio.  Are you ready to do that?

I thought he looked good through the centre and was praised for it. He scored last time he played there didnt he? Granted that doesn't mean he wasn't lost too!

In Choinieres case the 2nd LB spot is definitely on the table. Both Gutierrez and Edwards have been called but neither were trusted with minutes. Although, when push comes to shove I wouldn't be surprised if Herdman was to just take Adekugbe with Laryea and Davies available to cover there.

Either way the point with Priso and Choiniere is less that they deserve taking peoles spots and more celebrating the fact there are people on the bubble should we need them. It's a positive and gives herdman something to think about.

We are a freak injury or two away from needing depth. Osorio especially has had injury problems, Fraser seems to have dropped off, wotherspoon will be touch and go and when you talk being pedestrian, Kone is writing a book about it lately. It would be foolish not trying to include these type of players in the next friendlies squad or taxi if we can, IF they are still on form and others aren't. They need to be exposed to how we operate if they do need calling.

• 1 month later...
On 8/20/2022 at 8:20 PM, PegCityCam said:

Brilliant tackle and nifty pass to get his second hockey assist of the night. On fire.

This guy wants into the CANMNT party.  I'm starting to feel our midfield can use him.  We're pretty thin, and i'm getting coldish on Kaye for the exact reason i'm warming up to Choiniere.  His intensity and never die attitude really stands out.  He's also more than capable to slide in those amazing passes.

My only beef with CFM Nancy is him playing Choiniere and Johnston out of their ideal CANMNT positions.

Edited by costarg

17 hours ago, costarg said:

This guy wants into the CANMNT party.  I'm starting to feel our midfield can use him.  We're pretty thin, and i'm getting coldish on Kaye for the exact reason i'm warming up to Choiniere.  His intensity and never die attitude really stands out.  He's also more than capable to slide in those amazing passes.

My only beef with CFM Nancy is him playing Choiniere and Johnston out of their ideal CANMNT positions.

CF Montreal's success and how well their Canadian's have been playing is for me, the best story of this MLS season so far.  Unfortunately, I think Mathieu's smarts and adaptability may hurt him a bit as even though it he's lined up everywhere across midfield (and done very well) at some point this season, he hasn't locked down a specific position.  He'll probably miss out on the WC, due to him not being integrated with the senior Nat's yet, but on current form it's hard to argue that he's not pushing hard to force Herdman into some tough decisions.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, Grandbloke said:

Interesting that in last night’s game he lined up as a number 10 behind 2 strikers. 

He's got such a deep and diversified toolkit.  He's really strong playing higher up, provides assists and he's got a great shot from distance.  Only reason he hasn't already played playmaker was due to CFM's depth in that role in the past.  This kid can literally play anywhere (ok, maybe not CB).

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, InglewoodJack said:

He looked great last night. I found out that apparently, Choiniere is in absolutely insane shape- he apparently torches the rest of the team in any practice drill/cardio test, so it kinda makes sense he’s having himself a great year under Losada.

This has been very visible.  He's a gazelle out there while the rest of the team has cement boots.

His goal is a testament to his fitness.  90+ minutes and look at him push forward on that goal.  Just look at that defender’s run slow dramatically after he passes it forward.  While the defender slowed, he continue to push for a chance at a rebound and is rewarded while that same defender is out of frame by the time he gets the rebound.

2 hours ago, Grandbloke said:

In his current form, Choinière is arguably our 5th central midfielder, behind Eustáquio, Osorio, Koné and Kaye. He might even be ahead of Kaye.

From herdmans perspective he is likely 8th. 

1. staq
2. Kone
3. Oso
4. Hutch
5. Loturi
6. Piette
7. Kaye
8. Choiniere 

From a form/talent perspective, I think him and loturi are fighting for 4th. 
1. staq
2. kone
3. Oso
4. Loturi
5. Choineire
6. Hutch
7. Piette
8. Kaye 

14 hours ago, Bigandy said:

From herdmans perspective he is likely 8th. 

1. staq
2. Kone
3. Oso
4. Hutch
5. Loturi
6. Piette
7. Kaye
8. Choiniere 

From a form/talent perspective, I think him and loturi are fighting for 4th. 
1. staq
2. kone
3. Oso
4. Loturi
5. Choineire
6. Hutch
7. Piette
8. Kaye 

Not debating the merits but I think Kaye is at least 5 for Herdman and probably 4. Fraser has to be on the list as well considering he was in his World Cup squad. 

A call up for Choiniere is overdue. Crazy how someone like Fraser has 15 caps and Choiniere/Baldisimo/Priso have a combined zero caps.

Not saying they should have a lot of caps but it’s a perfect example of the notion that “timing is everything”. Fraser has just been around a little longer. 

1 hour ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Not debating the merits but I think Kaye is at least 5 for Herdman and probably 4. Fraser has to be on the list as well considering he was in his World Cup squad. 

A call up for Choiniere is overdue. Crazy how someone like Fraser has 15 caps and Choiniere/Baldisimo/Priso have a combined zero caps.

Not saying they should have a lot of caps but it’s a perfect example of the notion that “timing is everything”. Fraser has just been around a little longer. 

Adjusted depth chart based on what I think herdman thinks:
1. staq

2. Kone
3. Oso
4. Hutch
5. Loturi  - 7
6. Piette  - 5
7. Kaye - 6
8. Choiniere - 8/9
9. Fraser - 8/9 

I think the top 3 are solid. I would argue that hutch gets into games as a sub before kaye plus with his experience i for sure think herdman sees him as #4. I think piettes spot on the team is more secure than kaye. Maybe kaye subs in first due to the skillset he has vs piette but I think piette is more likely to keep getting call ups compared to kaye. This makes piette 5. Loturi is at 5 but could easily be 8th. I have no idea how herdman feels about him other than hes above choineire and fraser right now. I have him high up on the list for potential but realistically hes closer to 7. Youre right that fraser should be on the list. He is 8 or 9 as all the other mids have gotten recent call ups if fit (other than choiniere). 

Interesting how fast loturi gets a call up and compared to choiniere and priso. I dont think baldisimo is at the level.