Mathieu Choinière

Big_M

It seems like about 20 spots on any theoretical 2022 team are taken, give or take an Akinola. But Choiniere seems like a possible #23, given his versatility, against a lot of players who don't really have that. Of course, he'll need to show, or at least suggest, he can minimally hack it at such a level. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Was outstanding last night against Santos.  Hit the crossbar but really love the quick decision making.  That perfectly weighted pass to Quioto for the first goal was a thing of beauty.  Most MLS players would have dribbled a couple more times before crossing.  He had the vision to send that pass in early and catch the defense unprepared in transition.

1 hour ago, Shortdutchcanuck said:

Was outstanding last night against Santos.  Hit the crossbar but really love the quick decision making.  That perfectly weighted pass to Quioto for the first goal was a thing of beauty.  Most MLS players would have dribbled a couple more times before crossing.  He had the vision to send that pass in early and catch the defense unprepared in transition.

Was really impressed, can also play LB/LWB which is where he was last year, think Adekugbe and Gutierrez will have to fight hard for their sports, starting to have real quality depth.

1 hour ago, CanadaFan123 said:

He was outstanding and based on the sample size we've seen he deserves a call up. Johnston, Miller and Laryea did less at this level before their first calls. 

Shows how far along our depth has come. Historically, all MLS starters and some fringe starters have earned call-ups and now that is not a guarantee (case in point Choiniere). We can now consistently field an 11 that are all playing regularly with most of them in-form. 

Have to agree that Choiniere is making a good case for a call-up. Probably won't see it until Nations League though.

2 minutes ago, canadianbacons said:

Shows how far along our depth has come. Historically, all MLS starters and some fringe starters have earned call-ups and now that is not a guarantee (case in point Choiniere). We can now consistently field an 11 that are all playing regularly with most of them in-form. 

Have to agree that Choiniere is making a good case for a call-up. Probably won't see it until Nations League though.

You're probably right but then I think if guys like Gutierrez, Brym, Shaffelburg and ZBG have been called during the Octo it's not out of question. 

Specifically with the ZBG/Gutierrez example, it would be hard to justify calling either over Choiniere if this keeps up and a body is needed like last window. The same applies for Breza vs Pantemis/St. Clair. 

3 hours ago, costarg said:

It's a little unfortunate that CFM is playing him at WB, he's naturally a central mid, I'm sure he would've cracked CANMNT by now with the way he's been playing the past 12 months.  Competition at WB is a little tougher on CANMNT.

Spot on. He has a lot more to his game and hope he gets to play as an attacking CM with CFM at some point this season. 

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
11 hours ago, toontownman said:

If he continues in this form he has to be in the friendly squad in the fall. His versatility combined with form could make him really valuable.

It's funny. You and other posters mention his versatility but his best games have been on the wings. He tends to become lost and pedestrian in the midfield. I have to admit I was reluctant to have him on the NT at first but he is growing on me. Maybe by the time 2026 rolls around I'll be a big supporter.

BTW, you do know we are only allowed 26 players on the squad and you keep boosting Priso, M.C. and other players on the bubble. For that to happen we will have to unload players like Millar and Osorio.  Are you ready to do that?