Mathieu Choinière

Big_M

• 2 years later...
On 7/4/2021 at 8:38 AM, Grandbloke said:

Last night Mathieu Choinière scored his first MLS goal in CF Montréal’s 1-0 win over Miami. Nice to see him getting some playing time and doing well.

Yeah I know right and if he continues to do well, who knows maybe in the future it would be enough to warrant a call up from Herdman 

26 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Can any Impact fans enlighten me on the prospects of MC becoming a guy fighting tor a spot with the Nats?  I don’t know a lot about him and it looks like he was on the provisional list for Olympic Qualifying but didn’t make the final cut.  

Last night he looked pretty solid. In his short MLS career he has mostly played out of position as a RW, RWB, LW or LWB. As far as I understand, his natural position is that of central attacking midfielder. Maybe with Sejdic gone they will start to play him centrally. Yes, if he can get regular MLS minutes and continue to develop, I think he would be in the conversation for a call-up.

18 minutes ago, Grandbloke said:

Last night he looked pretty solid. In his short MLS career he has mostly played out of position as a RW, RWB, LW or LWB. As far as I understand, his natural position is that of central attacking midfielder. Maybe with Sejdic gone they will start to play him centrally. Yes, if he can get regular MLS minutes and continue to develop, I think he would be in the conversation for a call-up.

Not an Impact fan per se, but this is what I thought he was too, a central attacking mid who's played everywhere but in order to find the field. I do hope he settles into a position and while I am happy to see him get minutes, I hope the wing back role is not where his future lies. We have plenty of those guys already. 

MLS teams don’t seem to get the merit of having a backup #10 or grooming someone to try and play the position.

it’s always thought of as the role for a star and if he can’t make the field, someone else with a high pedigree is moved there to play out of position or the formation is changed to negate any need. 

But it’s odd cause I have seen solid but not usually spectacular AM play from substitutes that gets seemingly forgotten. Jay Chapman had a number of good games for TFC in this spot but he eventually was forced into playing more of a wide role to try and find playing time. Shame, cause it never suited his game and TFC often needed that sort of player when Pozuelo was unavailable or later in matches.

Edited by ag futbol

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Was he RWB once again? How did he play tonight?

I think so, and he scored. ZBG is coming back from injury and subbed him off, but the options on the flank are improving.

he may sneak into the picture and he can play higher up the pitch. 

• 4 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Dominic94 said:

He played the whole 90 tonight I believe, he’s a regular now and should be talked about more. Perhaps a LWB/LW threat for us, he will battle Adekugbe and Gutierrez for time shortly, we have nice depth emerging on the left with Abzi and Farsi in the Can PL.

Thing is that isn't even his ideal position.  He just has a good soccer IQ to be able to play different positions and pull it off.  I wasn't very big on this guy at first, but he's really growing and earning his spot.  

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Northvansteve said:

Not a lot of chatter about a guy who seems to be playing pretty well for Montreal. How are Montreal fans feeling about him at this point? 

I watched most of the second half from work today and thought he was brilliant.

---

I hope he shines mid-week in Halifax and that we get the Choinière derby in V Cup.

He has been playing a lot at LWB this season, but with ZBG out today (in lyon for personal reasons) he moved over to his more "natural" RWB spot (quatations because he's naturally a right footed CM). 

From the little bit I saw he was pretty good. Looked a bit more comfortable playing on his strong foot. The fact he's often played at LWB over Bassong this season is telling and may be a sign he's at least ready for a camp poutine kind of call. Unfortunately it may be 2023 before we have another one of those.

2 hours ago, An Observer said:

I think the lack of chatter is down to both him playing for Montreal which few seem to follow on this board (at least compared to TFC and the Whitecaps) and the fact he plays a position of strength for us now at the National team level. If he was a CB, there would be more discussion 

Like all the chatter about Waterman?

17 hours ago, Northvansteve said:

Not a lot of chatter about a guy who seems to be playing pretty well for Montreal. How are Montreal fans feeling about him at this point? 

He's really stood out lately, to the point where Nancy has to play him.  He's really earned it. 

He's constantly creating things out of nothing, and does so quietly.  Always in the right spot.  Seems so much more experienced than this resume shows.  It looks like he's playing out of position, I'd love to see him get a try in the middle of the park, I think he'd be even more impressive.