U. S. Virgin Islands vs Canada , September 9th 4pm IMG Academy in Bradenton Florida

11 hours ago, Keegan said:

He was the joint leader in goals for 2014 WCQ WORLDWIDE.. and no I'm not kidding.  He had 11.. if only we had an assassin like that.  

I guess I should say who he is for those who don't know:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deon_McCaulay

He scored against us in 2015. 

To me, you talk about Neymar and all of them, to me McCaulay is number one, Mad Keegan.

• Replies 640
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, Kent said:

I think it would be hilarious to walk into a watch party at a bar, and see Canada Soccer's twitter feed on a big screen, waiting for updates.

Worst case scenario can't a substitute player / coach launch a live Instagram feed from a cell phone? Come on it's 2018!! 

Or maybe Borjan can in goal so he doesn't fall asleep 

4 hours ago, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

I find it funny how so many people are saying they only want players fully committed to the program, yet everyone is so worried about cap tieing these players. If they are committed, for example: Millar, we shouldnt need to lock them in. We sound like sleazy salesmen right now... Me included.

Better safe than sorry. 

Just thinking about the fullback situation in this camp.. Herdman must have plans to put a few midfielders back there.  I’m thinking Teibert/Davies at LB and Wotherspoon at RB.  Wotherspoon might actually win that spot .. I don’t think many realize he started his SPL career as a right back. 

31 minutes ago, Keegan said:

Just thinking about the fullback situation in this camp.. Herdman must have plans to put a few midfielders back there.  I’m thinking Teibert/Davies at LB and Wotherspoon at RB.  Wotherspoon might actually win that spot .. I don’t think many realize he started his SPL career as a right back. 

Yeah i have been wondering about this too, but isn't the kid from lyon a right back?

If I am right on that, we could see him start on one side, de jong on the other, with henry-jakovic-james in between.

59 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Yeah i have been wondering about this too, but isn't the kid from lyon a right back?

If I am right on that, we could see him start on one side, de jong on the other, with henry-jakovic-james in between.

Yes, I should have explained better.. of course MDJ and ZBG are fullbacks but after them there must be an idea of who is the back up.  I can’t see us playing 3 CBs with those two as wingbacks though.

I could see us going for a 4-3-3 with inverted wingers and attacking fullbacks.  For example Hoilett on the left, Davies on the right allowing both to cut in and fullbacks to overlap.  

How about this for something wild: 

—————-——-Larin———————

Hoilett———————————Cavallini (lefty)

—————Osorio—-Arfield—————

————————-Piette———————-

Davies——Jakovic—-Henry—-ZBG

———————-Busti————————

We can give the USVI RB an experience he’ll never forget. There’s no doubt that Hoilett is best cutting in and Davies is best getting to the end line on the left.. I think this could really be a way forward especially if Davies is going to be a LB/LWB for Bayern in the future.

31 minutes ago, Keegan said:

Yes, I should have explained better.. of course MDJ and ZBG are fullbacks but after them there must be an idea of who is the back up.  I can’t see us playing 3 CBs with those two as wingbacks though.

I could see us going for a 4-3-3 with inverted wingers and attacking fullbacks.  For example Hoilett on the left, Davies on the right allowing both to cut in and fullbacks to overlap.  

How about this for something wild: 

—————-——-Larin———————

Hoilett———————————Cavallini (lefty)

—————Osorio—-Arfield—————

————————-Piette———————-

Davies——Jakovic—-Henry—-ZBG

———————-Busti————————

We can give the USVI RB an experience he’ll never forget. There’s no doubt that Hoilett is best cutting in and Davies is best getting to the end line on the left.. I think this could really be a way forward especially if Davies is going to be a LB/LWB for Bayern in the future.

While I like the idea of inverted wingers in general, and I acknowledge Cavallini's left foot and ability to drift out wide, I don't think we'll see your suggested line up, though it could work.

First of all, I still am not convinced Davies is going to play as a wingback for Bayern and less so for Canada. I mean, he's arguably the best attacking prospect we have ever had. I could be wrong about his long term position at Bayern, but I am fairly confident that his position for Canada will primarily be at forward.

Think David Alaba playing left back for Bayern, but attacking midfield for Austria.

Secondly, as much as I want Cavallini and Larin on the field together, I would be surprised if it's in your proposed arrangement. Conventional wisdom would put Davies there and De Jong at LB if we are playing a 4-2-2.

I am holding out hope for a 2-man forward line of Cavallini and Larin, but could also see one of them starting from the bench and David actually being the one to start the game, as he's more mobile.

If that's how we do, I would actually go for Cavallini and David to start, with Larin on the bench. Not only do I rate Lucas' ability to hold the ball up, allowing David to get in behind, but I also think he brings play making possibilities you just don't get with Larin.

So I won't be able to record this stream because I won't have internet access but it looks like if you sign up via the Concacaf mobile page, which is completely different from the desktop page, and then bookmark the Canada team page they may add the complete game afterwards. They didn't add the Dominica v Suriname game but they have added the Guyana v Barbados game. Fingers crossed for those who won't be able to watch the stream live that it will be archived at the page below.

https://www.oz.com/concacafnationsleague/collection/d8d962f7-895a-40bb-bc79-98d916661a75

Also stay away from the Concacaf YouTube channel as they're adding highlights but not the complete games.

Just read Squizzatos article on mlssoccer.com :

It’s kind of sad that we won’t know for a long while whether this team has actually changed.. its like 2011 when we played minnows and scored some goals and then 2012 came and we scored 5 goals in the next round (3 in one game).. a lot of that could have been down to Simpson going down. 

Even last year at the Gold Cup.. Davies, Hoilett and Cavallini were our 3 guys and we only scored 1 goal in our last 3 games. So what has changed?  It seems all our hopes rest on Davies developing and one of our current guys or a young guy stepping up.  

I hope we’ve turned a corner but I can’t help but feel we’ve been here before.. tons of talent but poorly managed/prepared with no ideas.  Going into the 2019 Gold Cup we’ll have played one, maybe two semi challenging matches since the 2017 Gold Cup.. that’s crazy. We’re behind the 8 ball and we need to rely on quite a few pieces falling together still.

I remember before the 2007 Gold Cup we played away in Venezuela and got a last minute draw and I think that powered us into the tournament.. 2013 we lost to Ventura county and well, ya.  It’s weird we haven’t properly prepared for any of the last 3 gold cups. 

13 hours ago, Keegan said:

It’s kind of sad that we won’t know for a long while whether this team has actually changed.. its like 2011 when we played minnows and scored some goals and then 2012 came and we scored 5 goals in the next round (3 in one game).. a lot of that could have been down to Simpson going down. 

Even last year at the Gold Cup.. Davies, Hoilett and Cavallini were our 3 guys and we only scored 1 goal in our last 3 games. So what has changed?  It seems all our hopes rest on Davies developing and one of our current guys or a young guy stepping up.  

I hope we’ve turned a corner but I can’t help but feel we’ve been here before.. tons of talent but poorly managed/prepared with no ideas.  Going into the 2019 Gold Cup we’ll have played one, maybe two semi challenging matches since the 2017 Gold Cup.. that’s crazy. We’re behind the 8 ball and we need to rely on quite a few pieces falling together still.

I remember before the 2007 Gold Cup we played away in Venezuela and got a last minute draw and I think that powered us into the tournament.. 2013 we lost to Ventura county and well, ya.  It’s weird we haven’t properly prepared for any of the last 3 gold cups. 

Wasn’t it 2 goals in the last 3 games?

16 hours ago, Keegan said:

At the Gold Cup we scored 2 goals in our last three games (and the game we didn't score in, we also shut out our opponents which kept us ahead of them in the final group positions). Also remember that Davies has developed incredibly in just one year and he didn't even finish the game against Costa Rica (got taken off injured), barely played against Honduras and didn't play the whole game against Jamaica either (though the biggest problem in that game for creating goals was giving up one 5 minutes into the game, meaning that we chased the game for the near-entirety of the match against a team that was now happy to bunker and counter against our slow defenders).

That said, it is frustrating that we won't likely have any proper tests in 2018 - all we can do for the rest of the year is underachieve or fail to live up to high expectations against our opponents.

2 hours ago, Addona said:

Wasn’t it 2 goals in the last 3 games?

For sure, you and Gianluca are right. But my point stands that we weren’t controlling or creating in those matches.. we were holding on for dear life at times and vs Jamaica, yes we screwed ourselves off the bat. 

Just in the last 10 years we’ve had a lot of good teams but how many competitive games have we won convincingly?  3-0 v 12 man Cuba at home in 2012 was convincing but not really when you consider the circumstances and the fact we needed goals.. ditto to 2016 v El Salvador.

So when was our last convincing win in a competitive game?  We beat Jamaica convincingly in friendlies at home in 2014 and 2017 but who cares? 

Guatemala 2007?  Do we have to stretch that far back?  How about this.. when was our last convincing, competitive win against a top 6 concacaf team?

Im just stating facts to temper expectations.. we haven’t done anything and no amount of hype or print will change that until we change that. My question is when will that ever be if we never even prepare for these situations?

15 minutes ago, Greatest Cockney Rip Off said:

Anyone know if stream will be blocked outside of Canada?

I don't know, but suspect not. It appears to at least be for a CONCACAF-wide audience, but can't say for sure if you'll be able to watch it in, I assume, Britain. My advice would be to try to catch a bit of one of the other Nations League games to see if it works for you. I would assume that if you can watch one, you shouldn't have any problems watching the Canada games. There should be 6 straight hours worth of games starting in 23 minutes so hopefully you'll have a chance to check.

Archived