U. S. Virgin Islands vs Canada , September 9th 4pm IMG Academy in Bradenton Florida

• Replies 640
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

52 minutes ago, maplebanana said:

All this talk of double digit win makes me think USVI may park the bus big time to limit the damage. And then it made me rethink a philosophical question I had in 2016 when Canada needed a draw in Honduras: If you stacked 11 guys, tetris style, would that block the entire net? Could be worth investigating. 

For fun...average width of a person 46 cm, height 176 cm, width of a ball 22 cm.  Getting 11 people to line up on the goal line with 20 cm between them would just cover the width of the goal, but would leave a 68 cm gap between the top of people's heads and the crossbar.

We're not renown for our finishing, but I think we could still score at least 5 .

I feel like we've been in this position so many times. Where we're supposed to beat a team handily, then some how we are snake bit, they score a flukey goal or two and suddenly it's a tight game where we're all just relieved we got 3 pts. 

I keep telling me this time it will be different but I've told myself that before..

Edited by Yoginess

4 hours ago, tyler453 said:

1-1 to Belize, letting in 2 against Bermuda and French Guiana, also only beating Curacao 2-1. All very disappointing. Losing to Martinique in 2013 really sucked also. All that being said, USVI is another level of minnow. We'd need to majorly shit the bed in order to not even score 5 IMO, especially with the amount of talent we have up front now also.

Belize is massive compared to USVI.. one team has qualified for Gold Cup(s), the other can't even qualify to the Caribbean Cup.

I'm really curious as to the level since they've beat Barbados but have also lost by double digits to Antigua & Barbuda.. doesn't seem to add up unless they are highly dependent on a few players who weren't available.  

Everything I'm seeing so far is just our guys in the hotel playing FIFA.. 

Edited by Keegan

16 minutes ago, Keegan said:

Belize is massive compared to USVI.. one team has qualified for Gold Cup(s), the other can't even qualify to the Caribbean Cup.

I'm really curious as to the level since they've beat Barbados but have also lost by double digits to Antigua & Barbuda.. doesn't seem to add up unless they are highly dependent on a few players who weren't available.  

Everything I'm seeing so far is just our guys in the hotel playing FIFA.. 

Oh yeah, not denying that I just think that's still a disappointing result for us drawing Belize, even with it being an away game.

As for Barbados, just over three years after that loss to USVI, they drew Belize in June, lost to them a couple months later, then later in August they drew Jamaica and Cuba (not sure the level of squads they sent for these friendlies though). Barbados must have been totally sleeping in that one World Cup Qualifying loss to USVI, seeing as they beat them 4-0 four days later.

But yeah USVI seem like too big of minnows for us to not even run up the score past 6-0.

Edited by tyler453

1 minute ago, tyler453 said:

Oh yeah, not denying that I just think that's still a disappointing result for us drawing Belize, even with it being an away game.

As for Barbados, just over three years after that loss to USVI, they drew Belize in June, lost to them a couple months later, then later in August they drew Jamaica then Cuba (not sure the level of squads they sent for these friendlies though). Barbados must have been totally sleeping in that one World Cup Qualifying loss to USVI, seeing as they beat them 4-0 four days later.

But yeah USVI seem like too big of minnows for us to not even run up the score past 6-0.

But ... but ...

Belize had THE ASSASSIN!!

11 minutes ago, rob.notenboom said:

But ... but ...

Belize had THE ASSASSIN!!

He was the joint leader in goals for 2014 WCQ WORLDWIDE.. and no I'm not kidding.  He had 11.. if only we had an assassin like that.  

I guess I should say who he is for those who don't know:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deon_McCaulay

He scored against us in 2015.  

I really hope we put up an eye opening score.. like we want people to be skimming their paper and double-take - and then we went them to google it to see if it was an error.  

Edited by Keegan

2 hours ago, Blackdude said:

I won't be. I don't think that captieing is a must right now. 

Your positive attitude will be in the minority. But really, I can't see how some people think Milan, Junior and some others have been called up to travel simply for training sessions and bench time. If this happens, and the players had not been informed prior to accepting the call, we'll have a lot of pissed off and demotivated senior players. Herdman can't be that daft.

46 minutes ago, BCM1555362349 said:

Your positive attitude will be in the minority. But really, I can't see how some people think Milan, Junior and some others have been called up to travel simply for training sessions and bench time. If this happens, and the players had not been informed prior to accepting the call, we'll have a lot of pissed off and demotivated senior players. Herdman can't be that daft.

Big thing that is changing my mind on this is also that before the captieing movement was more important because we weren't playing official matches for 2 years. Now, we'll have a guaranteed  8* official matches until November of 2019 in 7 windows. Compared to the 9 that we had before that were in 4 windows. I'm probably in the minority, mainly because I see how it's new for us to have that many official matches.

*8 is if we somehow get in League C.
10 is if we make it to League B but don't make the Gold Cup
13 is if we qualify for the Gold  Cup
And it could be even more if we make the playoffs of the league in the A or the Gold Cup.

If a player  didn't play in those games, he'll get another opportunity later on. 

Edited by Blackdude
Added the number of windows and forgot about WCQ.

On 9/1/2018 at 10:31 AM, baulderdash77 said:

Henry and James have to be looked at as the primary central defenders when healthy for this cycle.  I suspect that Jakovic is going to line up between them for 3 at the back.

Honestly this is the best lineup we’ve had in a decade.

Borjan

Henry Jakovic James

Arfield. Piette

Hoilett   Osorio    Davies

Cavalini    

Larin

That’s so solid.  

Arfield isn't a DM

Cap-tieying will ALWAYS be important for this nation. 

1 hour ago, BCM1555362349 said:

Surely the big players are informed about their role. Besides don't forget it's also a nice break from their respective clubs. You know if you see half of your team leave for their nations games, you don't want to be stuck with rest doing useless training-sessions. 

3 hours ago, BCM1555362349 said:

But let's be real, it's nice getting game action but what is playing against USVI actually going to do? Coming to train with the national team and not play is not really that far off from coming to train with the national team and playing against USVI. 

3 hours ago, Blackdude said:

Big thing that is changing my mind on this is also that before the captieing movement was more important because we weren't playing official matches for 2 years. Now, we'll have a guaranteed  8* official matches until November of 2019 in 7 windows. Compared to the 9 that we had before that were in 4 windows. I'm probably in the minority, mainly because I see how it's new for us to have that many official matches.

*8 is if we somehow get in League C.
10 is if we make it to League B but don't make the Gold Cup
13 is if we qualify for the Gold  Cup
And it could be even more if we make the playoffs of the league in the A or the Gold Cup.

If a player  didn't play in those games, he'll get another opportunity later on. 

Exceedingly strong post, @Blackdude. Would give you +10 if possible.

1 hour ago, shamrock said:

Cap-tieying will ALWAYS be important for this nation. 

Surely the big players are informed about their role. Besides don't forget it's also a nice break from their respective clubs. You know if you see half of your team leave for their nations games, you don't want to be stuck with rest doing useless training-sessions. 

The fact it's in Florida as opposed to more hassle/travel of the island will also be a factor. The flip side is for a player looking for game time at the club level leaving, at any time, is a risk. To do so for USVI and not even playing in the match would be an even bigger risk.

17 minutes ago, Keegan said:

Noticed that FC Edmonton is hosting a watch party.. this is going to be embarrassing if we can’t even get a stream.  If it wasn’t embarrassing enough that we are relying on a stream (not that it’s the CSAs fault entirely). 

I think it would be hilarious to walk into a watch party at a bar, and see Canada Soccer's twitter feed on a big screen, waiting for updates.