U. S. Virgin Islands vs Canada , September 9th 4pm IMG Academy in Bradenton Florida

7 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Just think, with 3 more expansion teams coming to MLS it will mean another 50-60 MLS roster spots for americans.  If CPL is 50/50 that will only mean 80-90 roster spots opening up for CDN in a USL quality league.  Even with the CPL we will be falling behind more and more.   

I think there's something to be said about the 'Law of Diminishing Returns' that will refute your point that MLS expansion will more than negate the effect of CPL in closing the gap on the USA. I just don't have the time or energy to make that point. :-)

• Replies 640
  • Created
  • Last Reply

50 - 60 American players on 3 MLS teams? I dont think you've been following the trends lately. American players have been getting less and less opportunities on MLS teams and Ironically TFC have been the only MLS winner as of late who had any American players playing impactful roles. Im my opinion the growth of the MLS is outpacing the growth of American talent and with big spending new comers to the league young donestics arent getting opportunities. I think there are already too many teams and instead of funneling the top domestic talent to a smaller concentration of teams its become deluded. I thnk CPLs advantage in at least from a domestic player perspective over MLS and USL is in the fact it will have less teams

12 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Just think, with 3 more expansion teams coming to MLS it will mean another 50-60 MLS roster spots for americans.  If CPL is 50/50 that will only mean 80-90 roster spots opening up for CDN in a USL quality league.  Even with the CPL we will be falling behind more and more.   

Not necessarily since if that’s the case MLS will be diluting it’s talent.  There’s only so much quality American talent to go around if you have aspirations of being a top 10 league - you can’t suck and blow.  Let’s just focus on getting our pool playing regularly and then we can worry about expansion and creating more spots. At the moment it’s going to be tight to even get that many Canadians of a suitable quality.

On 9/3/2018 at 12:07 AM, Blackjack15 said:

At Halftime

• Busti on for Crepeau

• Brault-Guillard on for Cornelius 

• Cavallini On for David 

• Akindele and Millar switch  

• Davies and Osorio switch _______________________________________

This way our midfield group will remain strong 

Our 3 forwards are all teens and very talented 

We cap-tie five players that can/will be important for us in the future

Borjan, De Jong, Jakovic, Arfield, Hoilett, Larin and Ricketts should start play against Dominica at home since they are core players players 

Surprised why Herdman even called them in the first place when this camp + match is with the objective to open up a new campaign and Youth Focus 

The final score will be minimum 3-0 and most likely 5-0 

49D70045-4221-4C17-8F38-14BC03E9ED0B.jpeg

A lot of talent but also a lot of youth up front there... even against USVI I'm not so sure a lopsided score line is inevitable without a few more vets sprinkled in for physical and mental presence/leadership. Also I don't think I've ever seen a GK subbed at half-time in a non-friendly match for the purposes of cap-tying. Lets not be stupid here and cap tie who we can, but also nakedly sending a kid out there for the sole purpose of cap-tie him I think sends the wrong message.  Players need to earn their playing time. If Busti plays well in training then give him a start.

16 hours ago, Bison44 said:

I think a country pretty much plateaus at a certain point when it comes to the number of professional soccer teams needed to give domestic kids an opportunity to play and at this point, the United States of America's player pool isn't going to drastically benefit from having more MLS teams. Not saying it will hurt them as MLS is a business and wants to expand its national foot print but right now, the country(USSF/MLS) need to concentrate on youth development and find out how they can make the domestic player stronger. The playing opportunities are there in abundance and nothing will change if suburban college boys who haven't kicked a professional ball by the age of 21 are going to occupy those 50-60 extra roster spots.

32 minutes ago, Keegan said:

To put this in perspective.. our biggest win was 7-0 over St Lucia.. St Lucia’s biggest win is 14-0 over US Virgin Islands.

If we are walking out of there with a 5-0 win that won’t be good news. 

Not to get to cocky, but anything less than setting a record for our biggest win will be a disappointment. Even when you consider that were still adjusting to new management, the talent level is just too great not to expect a double-digit win.

35 minutes ago, Keegan said:

To put this in perspective.. our biggest win was 7-0 over St Lucia.. St Lucia’s biggest win is 14-0 over US Virgin Islands.

If we are walking out of there with a 5-0 win that won’t be good news. 

We better smash them how Australia does American Samoa, and Fuji and em. 

We should be able to absolutely dismantle this team. I am thinking 8/9/10-0. This is a team that has lost to Curacao 7-0 and Antigua and Barbuda 10-0. This is a team so much worse than even St. Lucia or St Kitts it should be total destruction.  I understand we have had issues against other minnows but our squad is different and this team we are playing is a bottom 15 team in the world.

Goal difference could matter and I will be dissapointed if we score less than 8.  

13 minutes ago, michaeltfc91 said:

Anyone have betting odds for the game? If I had to predict, I think Canada -5.5 would be the betting line (so we are projected to win 5-0 or 6-0)... I don't see us pumping many more than that

I've been looking everywhere, I think they will under value Canada or the over/under... but i don't even know if the odds will be provided I asked bet365 and they said they won't. 

I'm not sure if teams get more or less competitive once the age groups are taken into account (or out of account) but may I remind everyone of this Olympic Qualifier from 2003:

https://canadasoccer.com/?gid=680&t=match

Rob Friend alone seems to have scored 6 with well-known finisher* Chris Pozniak getting 2. Maybe the USVI has improved dramatically since then, without any suggestion to the contrary, I'm expecting a similar scoreline.

* I always liked the Wizard of Poz, but this is sarcasm given that he was a defender for most of his career and never played striker.

23 hours ago, Keegan said:

Begovic was cap tied by subbing on in injury time for Bosnia but I agree about not burning a sub on a keeper.  Busti should just start, there’s literally no sense in having Borjan in goal for this match when we can lock down a future keeper.

Actually. Begovic would have been captied before that because his one-time switch was approved. They just wanted to give him his first cap.

3 minutes ago, Blackdude said:

Actually. Begovic would have been captied before that because his one-time switch was approved. They just wanted to give him his first cap.

I could be wrong but was that rule in play at the time?  I remember people here being bummed that they cap tied him that way. 

3 hours ago, Fullback said:

We should be able to absolutely dismantle this team. I am thinking 8/9/10-0. This is a team that has lost to Curacao 7-0 and Antigua and Barbuda 10-0. This is a team so much worse than even St. Lucia or St Kitts it should be total destruction.  I understand we have had issues against other minnows but our squad is different and this team we are playing is a bottom 15 team in the world.

Goal difference could matter and I will be dissapointed if we score less than 8.  

For reference.

According to the ELO rankings, USVI is 215 of 238. They sit just ahead of Sri Lanka, Wallis and Futuna, and the mighty Saint Barthélemy at 216, 217, and 218. Just ahead at 214 are the Turks and Caicos, at 212, the Chagos Islands (population of 3000). Even Greenland is up there at 197. This is a team that didn't win a game, competitively or not, from 1998-2011. The biggest upset win in their history probably came back in 2015 with a 1-0 win over Barbados, only to get beat by the same team 4-0 four days later. Their last two losses are 7-0 each to Guyana and Curacao.

This absolutely should be a blowout, a double-digit win could easily happen and I'll up my disappointment level to anything below a 7-0 win.

2 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Yeah, cuz we never manage to shit the bed against minnows.

1-1 to Belize, letting in 2 against Bermuda and French Guiana, also only beating Curacao 2-1. All very disappointing. Losing to Martinique in 2013 really sucked also. All that being said, USVI is another level of minnow. We'd need to majorly shit the bed in order to not even score 5 IMO, especially with the amount of talent we have up front now also.

All this talk of double digit win makes me think USVI may park the bus big time to limit the damage. And then it made me rethink a philosophical question I had in 2016 when Canada needed a draw in Honduras: If you stacked 11 guys, tetris style, would that block the entire net? Could be worth investigating. 

Archived