U. S. Virgin Islands vs Canada , September 9th 4pm IMG Academy in Bradenton Florida

• Replies 640
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Ansem said:

This might be why he wasn't selected

No. It's because he's not playing well enough. I think it's good that players have to prove themselves to be selected. I know that there are some exceptions in this camp, but it's holding true for most of them. 

6 minutes ago, Jith12 said:

The downside?  If you're in the camp of "the CPL will be higher quality than the USL", than this stacked "Canada B" team that's currently below .500 in the USL and likely to miss the playoffs isn't going to help your cause.

5 hours ago, Watchmen said:

The downside?  If you're in the camp of "the CPL will be higher quality than the USL", than this stacked "Canada B" team that's currently below .500 in the USL and likely to miss the playoffs isn't going to help your cause.

Sure, but if you are of the opinion that CPL could be a great development league; young up and comers playing with the likes of Attakora, Edgar, Dixon, Petrasso, Tissot, Gagnon-Lepare is definitely better than playing in the PDL or not playing at all. 

7 hours ago, Blackdude said:

No. It's because he's not playing well enough. I think it's good that players have to prove themselves to be selected. I know that there are some exceptions in this camp, but it's holding true for most of them. 

Petrasso was actually starting to play fairly well in his last few games with the Impact. Obviously Sagna is a much better player so he lost his spot to him but I think the reason he got loaned out is the Impact are going to make a signing and needed to clear someone off the roster. I think Herdman's selection is good for the most part but I find it crazy the lack of fullbacks called. We have one solid but injury prone older left back in DeJong and a 19 year old reserve team right back in Brault-Guillard. Even if Brault-Guillard is as good as we hope, what if he or DeJong or both of them get injured in training or during the game. Petrasso may not be a top player but he is as good a player if not better than either Ricketts or Akindele and plays in a position we need options at. I think Adekugbe should have been called in at left back and one of Petrasso, Edwards or Cordova for right back and Ricketts and Akindele left out. With the present selection we could well be back to playing Henry at RB which has not worked out well in the past. And when Floro played Henry at RB he did not have a lot of other options. We still don't have a top international level RB (unless we play Hutch there) but we still have better options than Henry or another CB played out of position.

11 minutes ago, Grizzly said:

Petrasso was actually starting to play fairly well in his last few games with the Impact. Obviously Sagna is a much better player so he lost his spot to him but I think the reason he got loaned out is the Impact are going to make a signing and needed to clear someone off the roster. I think Herdman's selection is good for the most part but I find it crazy the lack of fullbacks called. We have one solid but injury prone older left back in DeJong and a 19 year old reserve team right back in Brault-Guillard. Even if Brault-Guillard is as good as we hope, what if he or DeJong or both of them get injured in training or during the game. Petrasso may not be a top player but he is as good a player if not better than either Ricketts or Akindele and plays in a position we need options at. I think Adekugbe should have been called in at left back and one of Petrasso, Edwards or Cordova for right back and Ricketts and Akindele left out. With the present selection we could well be back to playing Henry at RB which has not worked out well in the past. And when Floro played Henry at RB he did not have a lot of other options. We still don't have a top international level RB (unless we play Hutch there) but we still have better options than Henry or another CB played out of position.

I think that Adekugbe's a bigger omision than Petrasso. The big question I'm wondering is if Herdman would have called the same kind of roster if we played a better team ie having only 2 fullbacks. I don't think it  will matter against USVI, but it will against a team that is better like St Kitts or French Guiana.

I think the lack of FB’s indicate Herdman may play a 3-5-2 or similar.  USVI isn’t a good team compared to ours and we can probably get away with it given our attacking options.

They’re going to be on their heels a lot with Hoilett, Davies and Osorio linking up to 2 strikers with Piette and Arfield snuffing out anything played in the middle or covering for one of the 2 CB’s who have to pinch out wide to help out.

This is a lineup built to run up the score a bit.

I like this lineup but I really think it should just be expected that our manager would call more or less our strongest team (the odd quibble aside). Time to put some of those strange Floro personnel decisions behind us.  Herdman has me hopeful, and I am excited to see Cav and Hoilett solidly committed.  But having a group like this also means more pressure to deliver on his rhetoric, and I'm not going to give him credit until he does.

For Herdman the work is all ahead of him.  I really think in his mind the camp is much more important than the game.  This is the beginning of the 2022 journey, in his eyes, and the first opportunity to get the heart of his team together.

Having this group together will be about developing a vision and a style and a culture much more than how much we can run up the score against USVI.  Herdman called a team that is too strong for the opponent because every single time he can get these guys into a camp together matters.  

I do think the lack of defenders is strange (though obviously people are forgetting that Davies is destined to be a wingback ?).  I would think sorting out the defensive pecking order should be one of Herdman's priorities early on.  

I'm assuming Godinho would be here if he was healthy and playing.  Neither Petrasso nor Cordova have earned a callup so far this year in my opinion but someone has to play RB.  Probably unfair to single out Akindele, I think any 2 of Tesho, Chapman and Ricketts could have been left off in favour of Adekugbe and 1 natural right back.

Henry and James have to be looked at as the primary central defenders when healthy for this cycle.  I suspect that Jakovic is going to line up between them for 3 at the back.

Honestly this is the best lineup we’ve had in a decade.

Borjan

Henry Jakovic James

Arfield. Piette

Hoilett   Osorio    Davies

Cavalini    

Larin

That’s so solid.  

7 minutes ago, apbsmith said:

Pardon my ignorance. 

What are or were the ramifications for Davies red card vs Jamaica?

Suspension etc.? What happens?

Thx anyone.

He was suspended for Canada's next friendly, which was last October vs El Salvador. Red card suspensions from friendlies don't apply to competitive matches, if that's what you're wondering.

The line up I would like to see with this roster would probably be 

Cavallini

Davies      Osorio     Hoilett

Piette       Arfield 

De Jong Henry James Bault-Guillard 

Borjan

Or

Cavallini 

Davies   Osorio Arfield   Hoilett

Piette 

De Jong Henry James Brault-Guillard

subs

David

Millar

Busti

I’m thinking 

Cavaillini       Larin 

Davies.        airfield           hoillett 

Wotherspoon     Piette 

Cornelius  Jakovic   James                 

Borjan 

I’d sub on David for Larin 

Oso for wotherspoon 

Busti for Borjan

8 hours ago, Blackdude said:

I think that Adekugbe's a bigger omision than Petrasso. The big question I'm wondering is if Herdman would have called the same kind of roster if we played a better team ie having only 2 fullbacks. I don't think it  will matter against USVI, but it will against a team that is better like St Kitts or French Guiana.

7 hours ago, baulderdash77 said:

I think the lack of FB’s indicate Herdman may play a 3-5-2 or similar.  USVI isn’t a good team compared to ours and we can probably get away with it given our attacking options.

They’re going to be on their heels a lot with Hoilett, Davies and Osorio linking up to 2 strikers with Piette and Arfield snuffing out anything played in the middle or covering for one of the 2 CB’s who have to pinch out wide to help out.

This is a lineup built to run up the score a bit.

My complaint is not that Petrasso is not called. My complaint is that not enough fullbacks were called. I would pick Petrasso over Edwards but haven't seen Cordova play to judge how he compares. My fear is indeed Herdman will play a 3-5-2 which might work well against USVI and get everyone here behind him. However, I think while we need to take some chances and try to run up the score we also need to play in the type of tactics we will use against the better teams we will face. I certainly hope he is not planning to out offence the Central American teams because I do not think that is going to be a winning formula. No one wants to go back to defensive Floro ball but at the same time we need to be solid in the back and also learn to score from the type of formations that will work against the likes of Honduras especially away in Honduras in the heat and pressure.

3 hours ago, Grizzly said:

My complaint is not that Petrasso is not called. My complaint is that not enough fullbacks were called. I would pick Petrasso over Edwards but haven't seen Cordova play to judge how he compares. My fear is indeed Herdman will play a 3-5-2 which might work well against USVI and get everyone here behind him. However, I think while we need to take some chances and try to run up the score we also need to play in the type of tactics we will use against the better teams we will face. I certainly hope he is not planning to out offence the Central American teams because I do not think that is going to be a winning formula. No one wants to go back to defensive Floro ball but at the same time we need to be solid in the back and also learn to score from the type of formations that will work against the likes of Honduras especially away in Honduras in the heat and pressure.

Here's a thought that I'll throw out there. Maybe he doesn't want 1 and only 1 formation. Maybe he is planning on playing a formation that we'll use when we are chasing a game. Maybe the way we line up against US VI will be how we line up when we need a goal late to get a result against a better team. It's important for a team to be able to play at different game states. 0-0, leading, trailing. Perhaps against a team that you expect to beat handily by multiple goals is a chance to practice how to go after a game since you will likely have a lot of the ball.

2 hours ago, Kent said:

Here's a thought that I'll throw out there. Maybe he doesn't want 1 and only 1 formation. Maybe he is planning on playing a formation that we'll use when we are chasing a game. Maybe the way we line up against US VI will be how we line up when we need a goal late to get a result against a better team. It's important for a team to be able to play at different game states. 0-0, leading, trailing. Perhaps against a team that you expect to beat handily by multiple goals is a chance to practice how to go after a game since you will likely have a lot of the ball.

I understand that and am not saying he should only have 1 formation. What I am saying is that this early in his tenure he should be working on the standard formations that we will use against the tough teams not a formation we will use occasionally when trailing or only against minnows. One of the reasons we struggle against Central American teams is they have a lot of domestic players and are able to train together more often and have very routine tactical formations that the players are used to playing in and which the non-domestic players and new players can easily be integrated into. We do not have that luxury so I think we should really be trying to develop as much as possible some standard formations that the players are used to. Also I would like our team to be able to score against the minnows using similar formations that we will need to use to score against better teams. And even if he is going to play 3-5-2 it still seems strange to me to call up 5 strikers and only 2 full backs especially when several of our fullbacks can also play wing (a couple of the strikers can also but is Akindele really a better winger than Petrasso or Edwards?)

An even bigger concern is that he is going to play this offensive style against minnows and score a lot of goals and do a lot of pep talks getting everyone to believe including himself that we can play this way and then it will all come crashing down in a very important game in San Pedro Sula.

Archived