U. S. Virgin Islands vs Canada , September 9th 4pm IMG Academy in Bradenton Florida

• Replies 640
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Expect records to be set, goal of the season contenders and the best Canadian performance of all time. We will have to watch the twitter feed because the live stream that is organized last minute cuts out and there are someone forgets to hit record so no highlights recorded.

Borjan steps up to the free kick... MAGISTERIAL! YOU'LL NEVER SEE A BETTER GOAL!

Honestly im worried they are just going to bunker the whole time.  The difference in the rest of the group could come down to who lets in the least amount of goals vs Canada.... I'm not worried we are going to lose, but im a bit worried they will be athletic and bunker well enough that we only win by 3 or 4, which will put a bad look on the program for people who just see the score. 

14 hours ago, Alex said:

The BEST roster we could ask for. Period. 

Hutch and Vitoria the two notable omissions, but yes super pumped about this roster... couldn't have asked for better, and agree with others re: time to send a message! Also super stoked to see David in action... and by "see" I of course actually mean hit the refresh button on the twitter feed every 10seconds. 

13 hours ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

I would assume this squad means 3 at the back.

RB problem? what RB problem? ? 

11 hours ago, lazlo_80 said:

Does anyone know or follow Juventus enough to know how excited I should be about the Busti call up? 

Busti is only 18 years old and he is officially a member of the U23 team.  He should get a few matches with the U23 team, but I assume he will bounce back and forth between them and the U19 side.  So, he is obviously impressing someone at Juventus.  However, who really knows how he will develop.  It will be interesting to see how he develops.

10 hours ago, Keegan said:

This team is almost TOO strong.  Like we are going to have to leave certain guys on the bench who have flown across the world “safe flight back to Turkey Cyle!”.

So what? Players should be happy to fly across the world, train with the guys and and sit on the bench for 90 odd minutes. That's a normal situation (finally). 

1 hour ago, BradMack said:

Honestly im worried they are just going to bunker the whole time.  The difference in the rest of the group could come down to who lets in the least amount of goals vs Canada.... I'm not worried we are going to lose, but im a bit worried they will be athletic and bunker well enough that we only win by 3 or 4, which will put a bad look on the program for people who just see the score. 

Yeah, we should probably keep in mind that this isn't like the WCQ series against Dominica, USVI aren't obligated to come out and attack at all. Their best approach will be to play for a draw, and if that fails, a low-scoring loss.

It may be fun to imagine lopsided scorelines, but we can't underestimate them, amateurs or not.

56 minutes ago, Zem said:

Yeah, we should probably keep in mind that this isn't like the WCQ series against Dominica, USVI aren't obligated to come out and attack at all. Their best approach will be to play for a draw, and if that fails, a low-scoring loss.

It may be fun to imagine lopsided scorelines, but we can't underestimate them, amateurs or not.

I like the selection but I agree that we are a bit weak at the back and I don't understand why Ricketts would be there instead of someone like Petrasso or Adekugbe (there are enough other veteran players to provide leadership). We want to run up the score and take some risks but I think we also need to start training the team to play in a proper formation that will also work against the teams we will need to beat in WCQ not playing some score goals against minnows formation and then expecting everything to fall into place when we change formation as soon as we hit harder teams. 

Also while I like the selection lets temper our enthusiasm for Herdman based on this. Most of the posters on the forum were proposing similar selections and selecting the right team hasn't been a problem since Yallop. Mitchell, Hart, Floro and Zambrano for the most part selected the best players available at the time. The main difference is Herdman has a better player pool available than most of the others with more promising young players and more depth. It is good Herdman selected a good lineup bringing in our best players mixed with our most promising young players but the real test will be to see how he gets the team playing when we start playing top teams in important games in hostile environments. 

1 hour ago, shamrock said:

So what? Players should be happy to fly across the world, train with the guys and and sit on the bench for 90 odd minutes. That's a normal situation (finally). 

This won't feel acceptable if it happens to the likes of Larin, Cavallini, Osorio... I'd be sure of it. Canadian pride will only take some of these guys so far. I enjoy  Osorio 2.0 like most every other soccer fan in this country, but permanently etched in my mind is Osorio's, "What is he doing?" on-field, mid-game quote aimed at Floro while being subbed off (after a rather mediocre performance it should be said) in Toronto. They might all come this time to try out for Herdman in a meaningful match this go-around, but they won't all come a second or third time on a hope and a prayer, I'm sure of it.

I’m sure these players have realized that obviously they are only playing one game (against a minnow) and not everyone can play. I’m also sure that Herdman let them know that he wanted big names in camp because it’s his first time with the squad and he wants a feel for things. They’re here to represent their country, this is the start of a new cycle they must understand the situation.

18 hours ago, Keegan said:

This team is almost TOO strong.

This team IS too strong. I know I'm in the minority but I wanted an even greater U20/U23 focus. We can call a squad this strong for the other 3 games and win easily.

I want all the young guys to start this game. They will score.

No Willy J is sad; they didn't even need to fly him in! He's meme material now I guess (didn't make this btw):

9T3pc3B.jpg

BTW, to stop people talking about these players in this thread, all got called to U21 squads! They aren't playing for Canada (yet!)

Stephen Eustáquio
http://www.fpf.pt/News/Todas-as-notícias/Notícia/news/17636

Fikayo Tomori:
http://www.thefa.com/news/2018/aug/30/england-u21s-squad-netherlands-latvia-310818

Andreas Vaikla
http://jalgpall.ee/koondis/2/uudised/voolaid-teatas-koosseisu-u21-koondise-valikmanguks-n14472

Boy, it hasn't been that long since I've been here, I must have created another account somewhere along the way that I can't access now.

I would hope we cap-tie the four rookies. Get it done. Goal difference matters and frankly those players will have more motivation to run up a cricket score.

IMG Academy have a place for USVI to stay as well since there are dorms; they really can't host full internationals at their junior high school field so this is a better option for them since it's cheap as a package. There aren't any USVI fans, so catering to them is not a concern. This is a good solution, I'm glad we're not going to St. Thomas to play valuable professional players on a softball diamond.

5 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

BTW, to stop people talking about these players in this thread, all got called to U21 squads! They aren't playing for Canada (yet!)

Stephen Eustáquio
http://www.fpf.pt/News/Todas-as-notícias/Notícia/news/17636

Fikayo Tomori:
http://www.thefa.com/news/2018/aug/30/england-u21s-squad-netherlands-latvia-310818

Andreas Vaikla
http://jalgpall.ee/koondis/2/uudised/voolaid-teatas-koosseisu-u21-koondise-valikmanguks-n14472

All born and raised in Canada. It’s always about their upbringing isn’t it 

1 minute ago, Blackjack15 said:

All born and raised in Canada. It’s always about their upbringing isn’t it 

Tomori was not raised in Canada, he moved to the UK very early in life. 

The Euataquio's moved back to Portugal in 2005 when Stephen was 8.

Archived