U. S. Virgin Islands vs Canada , September 9th 4pm IMG Academy in Bradenton Florida

• Replies 640
  • Created
  • Last Reply
57 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

If a tree falls in a forest did it make a sound? CMNT game isn't streamed did the roster really exist?

So what you're saying is, we can all look forward to the "the game wasn't streamed so the player wasn't really cap tied" scandal that's going to break out? ?

Amazing roster, well done CSA!! But also I must echo others thoughts.. we never get a team this strong together EVER, even for the Gold Cup and we’re playjng USVI in a game that may not be even televised.  We can never have nice things without an asterisk. 

This team is almost TOO strong.  Like we are going to have to leave certain guys on the bench who have flown across the world “safe flight back to Turkey Cyle!”.

Also, Chapman and Ricketts?? Maybe Tos can add to his tally but he really shouldn’t see the field with this squad .. I’d have preferred to see guys like Morgan, AIRD, Fraser, Awuah over those two.

Looking at the positions on the roster, I wonder if Herdman plans on using a 3-5-2 formation.

1st team:

Larin - Cavallini

Hoilett - Osorio - Davies

Piette - Arfield

deJong - Jakovic - James

-- Borjan --

2nd team:

Millar - Jo. David

Ricketts - Chapman - Akindele

Teibert - Wotherspoon

Cornelius - D. Henry - Brault

-- Crepeau --

3rd keeper:

Busti

Steven Sandor has a good article on the selection, including this quote from Herdman on Ballou Tabla:

https://the11.ca/herdman-sees-canada-playing-in-the-world-cup-in-four-years-time/

“It’s an ongoing conversation. Every time a selection comes there’s a conversation that happens. The communication with Ballou has been consistent, now, since March. There’s a two-way conversation happening… I think people who are born in Canada understand the importance of this country, but they obviously don’t understand at times the tough situations young players are put in when they’ve got dual nationality. It’s a tough decision. It’s a tough process. You’ve really got to empathize. And the timing of those decisions are cruclal for players. And, often, they’re torn. Torn between ‘is it this or is it that?’ Because they’re in love with both opportunities. And that’s what I’m learning about this situation. That this isn’t a quick fix. This isn’t jumping on an airplane and a six-course meal and a limo ride and some swag from Canada Soccer and all the things other coaches might have tried before. This is genuinely working with the player to make the right decision. That might be Ivory Coast. And I think that’s part our commitment as coaches, we have to look at what’s best for the players and give them the time to work through things. It’s got to be the right decision for them. They have to feel it’s time to come play for Canada. And, at the same time, you’re not begging players. I’m being that clear: There’s other players I’m speaking with who have the opportunity to play for Canada. But we’re not begging people. It’s that clear. If you don’t feel it in your heart to come pull that shirt on, don’t bother. I don’t want you here for commercial reasons. I don’t want you here for other reasons, because someone told you it was the right thing to do. You’ve got to feel this thing.”

3 minutes ago, David C. said:

Looking at the positions on the roster, I wonder if Herdman plans on using a 3-5-2 formation.

1st team:

Larin - Cavallini

Piette - Arfield

deJong - Jakovic - James

-- Borjan --

2nd team:

Millar - Jo. David

Teibert - Wotherspoon

-- Crepeau --

3rd keeper:

Busti

And when you lay it out that way I can see that an inter-squad game is well in order.

Herdman is no dummy: He knows he has named a too-strong squad for this match, but the match itself is only part of the package.  This is his first chance to really put his stamp on this team, to spend meaningful time with the core of his future squad, and to convey his vision moving forward. (It is also a tactic to get all of us on side, which is also very smart.) He is sending multiple excellent messages by naming such a large and strong squad.  And, because he is smart, he will be sure to manage player expectations for the actual game.  No, most of the guys will not see the pitch, but it'll be all part of a bigger plan, and Herdman will make it very clear to every player what that plan is.

Strong roster. Wish Kaye was not injured and that Hutch was only 28!

8 minutes ago, David C. said:

1st team:

Larin - Cavallini

Piette - Arfield

deJong - Jakovic - James

-- Borjan --

Anyone's guess but I don't want to see De Jong on the left of a three man back. 

Prior to the this roster announcement, I thought this team's personnel was well suited for a 4-3-3 but maybe they will go with three at the back

11 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

Anyone's guess but I don't want to see De Jong on the left of a three man back. 

Prior to the this roster announcement, I thought this team's personnel was well suited for a 4-3-3 but maybe they will go with three at the back

We could very well stick to our usual 4-5-1/4-3-3 alignment. I just thought it was worth noting that playing intra-squad games (as The Beaver noted above) might suggest otherwise.

I'm not in a position to comment on deJong's suitability to play in a 3-back defense (or Hoilett's ability to cover defensively in his spot either) but do know that James played on the right in a 3-back defense a fair bit last year in Hungary.

Cheers!

7 minutes ago, David C. said:

We could very well stick to our usual 4-5-1/4-3-3 alignment. I just thought it was worth noting that playing intra-squad games (as The Beaver noted above) might suggest otherwise.

I'm not in a position to comment on deJong's suitability to play in a 3-back defense (or Hoilett's ability to cover defensively in his spot either) but do know that James played on the right in a 3-back defense a fair bit last year in Hungary.

Cheers!

I think the Caps tried it once or twice.  For me, that was enough.  The guy's at his best when he can be up the field more bending in those tasty crosses from the left, so perhaps he's best suited as a wingback? 

2 hours ago, David C. said:

1st team:

Larin - Cavallini

Piette - Arfield

deJong - Jakovic - James

-- Borjan --

2nd team:

Millar - Jo. David

Teibert - Wotherspoon

-- Crepeau --

3rd keeper:

Busti

Definitely an interesting formation, I think it is too attacking though. Usually 3 at the back requires wingbacks and Hoilett/Fonzie are better at playing as wingers imo

2 hours ago, The Beaver said:

And when you lay it out that way I can see that an inter-squad game is well in order.

Herdman is no dummy: He knows he has named a too-strong squad for this match, but the match itself is only part of the package.  This is his first chance to really put his stamp on this team, to spend meaningful time with the core of his future squad, and to convey his vision moving forward. (It is also a tactic to get all of us on side, which is also very smart.) He is sending multiple excellent messages by naming such a large and strong squad.  And, because he is smart, he will be sure to manage player expectations for the actual game.  No, most of the guys will not see the pitch, but it'll be all part of a bigger plan, and Herdman will make it very clear to every player what that plan is.

Strong roster. Wish Kaye was not injured and that Hutch was only 28!

I tend to agree with pretty much all of this.  And even if we are being cleverly manipulated, I very much approve.  Hopefully this is the beginning of better days.

5 hours ago, Nerf said:

Great line up.  We just need to go out there and crush them.  No 1-0 results. CRUSH THEM. Send a message that Canadians aren't playing nice any more.

what if we win 1-0 but we score in the first minute and play keep away for the remaining 89?

I am very excited by this lineup, we should win by a large margin, but I hope everyone doesnt consider a win by 3 or 4 a major disappointment. There has been so many matches in the past I expected a big win and it ends up being a narrow win or a draw.

And realistically Larin usually puts a couple sitters from 4 feet out about 6 feet over the net, so what should be a win by 7 goals easily becomes a win by 4.

No a 1-0 win with 99 mins of keep away won’t do.

This roster and this team is a statement.  It’s a statement of the commitment this program has to winning and making the next World Cup.  It’s a statement that we have the talent that it takes and that just like Hockey playing for Team Canada means something when you put that jersey on.

Herdman is throwing down the gauntlet with this team and he’s signalling he’s intending to make the men’s team as good as the women’s team, or at least as good as we can make it.

Archived