Olympique_de_Marseille

U. S. Virgin Islands vs Canada , September 9th 4pm IMG Academy in Bradenton Florida

13 minutes ago, shermanator said:

For anyone who's been ripping on Herdman, this squad should cause you to give your head a shake. Canada needs to dominate to ensure their Gold Cup qualification is secured, and this roster reflects that.

This squad contains arguably our best 11, with lots of opportunities to cap tie promising U23 players. And if you want pride in the maple leaf, note that Will Johnson and his "I don't like playing at the Gold Cup" attitude is not in the squad.

Would have liked to see Stephen Eustaquio in the squad, but I think Zambrano ****** that up royally.

What was the story behind Zambrano and Eustaquio?

Borjan

Brault-Guillard                   James                   Henry                    De Jong

Davies                   Osorio                   Arfield                  Hoilett

Larin                      Cavallini

Millar, David and Busti sub in

7-0 win please

8 minutes ago, yellowsweatygorilla said:

What was the story behind Zambrano and Eustaquio?

Since this is not first hand information, I'd take this with a grain of salt, but what I've heard from multiple people is...

Zambrano was on one of his "scouting trips" in Spain (aka an excuse to live large on the CSA's dime while doing no actual scouting) while Eustaquio was playing in Torreense. Eustaquio reached out to Zambrano to express his desire to play for Canada, inviting Zambrano to watch him play as he was nearby. Zambrano never bothered to get back to him. Eustaquio then moved to Leixoes and shortly after accepted a callup from Portugal.

So either this is a prime example of why Zambrano was fired seemingly out of nowhere, or a perfect example of a Zambrano smear job on his way out.

Herdman did play a 2-4-4 against weaker teams with the women's national team. I wouldn't be surprised to see him do that in our first 2 matches.

Edited by Blackdude

40 minutes ago, shermanator said:

Since this is not first hand information, I'd take this with a grain of salt, but what I've heard from multiple people is...

Zambrano was on one of his "scouting trips" in Spain (aka an excuse to live large on the CSA's dime while doing no actual scouting) while Eustaquio was playing in Torreense. Eustaquio reached out to Zambrano to express his desire to play for Canada, inviting Zambrano to watch him play as he was nearby. Zambrano never bothered to get back to him. Eustaquio then moved to Leixoes and shortly after accepted a callup from Portugal.

So either this is a prime example of why Zambrano was fired seemingly out of nowhere, or a perfect example of a Zambrano smear job on his way out.

Who knows?

A-list squad picked for this one.   For some reason I thought Ballou would be on this roster but otherwise pretty much the guys you'd hope to see, including some new faces.  I can already see the expectations get ratched up here.

Also, I thought that Cordova was rated pretty highly (here and by the program).  He's not available?

Edited by BearcatSA

38 minutes ago, Pottsy3 said:

Who starts at RB? Seems like Brault-Guillard is the only RB on the roster but it seems odd to toss him right into the 11. I really hope that Henry isn’t moved to the right.

There are a number of guys we will want to cap in this match.  Starting a couple of them, especially in positions where our options are limited, is one way to ensure that the sub spots can take care of the rest.

EDIT - probably should have read the last post before quoting

Edited by dyslexic nam

Gotta get back to work (where the V site is blocked - damn you employer!) so just a quick note o say how pumped I am about this line up.  Perfect balance of vets and noobs, and pretty much everyone we want to cap is there (no one expected Tabla at this point).

Man I hope we get to see this game.  Super pumped to see what we can do on offence.  And I know this won't be a fair test of talent, but would still love to see us pump double digits past USVI.

Edited by dyslexic nam

Considering how attack heavy the roster is, I hope Herman is willing to experiment the formations. 

Here's my line up:

image.png.b0de0f55eb723a02c12fe2f40de25033.png

At some point the subs should be:

David in for Cavallini or Larin

Millar in for Hoilett (Hoilett is coming off an injury, if he isn't healthy Millar should start)

Brault Guillard in for Henry or even Davies.

In this way we cap tie three important players, while still having our best players out there.

To add, guys like Jakovic, Ricketts, De Jong, Wootherspoon should be in this camp for leadership and maintaining a level of competition....but if we're preparing for the future then I don't want to see them play. 

Edited by Jahinho Guerro